SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Contest Discussions > UFO Contest 2013 - Official Discussion ( Moderated by JEF)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
UFO Contest 2013 - Official Discussion
July 1, 2013 to July 31, 2013
CTBarb
star
CTBarb  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Connecticut USA
Member since 9/19/06
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 6/19/13 2:57 PM

Hello Everyone,
My name is Barbara (CtBarb) and I will be managing the UFO contest in July.

The contest runs from July 1 to July 31, 2013.

The link to join is join

If you have never participated in a contest before, Deepika has written a tutorial that will take you through the process. You can access it here:
Contest Participant Tutorial

The point of this contest is to finish all those UnFinished Objects (UFO's) that you have hanging around. I know I have at least 6 garments that I hoped to include in one or the other mini-wardrobe contest in 2011 and 2012. And I think there is a faux fur vest lurking in my sewing room that I was so enthusiastic about until the reality of dealing with faux fur set in! It would make me soooo happy to finish them. I can't enter this contest...but you may inspire me to sew along with you.

I will set up a post immediately below this one to capture any questions that you may have and the answers. That way new entrants will not have to wade through the entire discussion thread to find answers. I will try to answer in a timely way and if I need clarifications, I will forward your questions to the contest committtee. I hope a lot of you decide to enter ....this should be a fun contest.

As you read the rules below, please note these important points:
1. Projects stalled AFTER March 1, 2013 are NOT eligible.
2.General Rule #2 about muslining or cutting out before the start of the contest does NOT apply to this contest.
3.Muslins are not eligible as UFO’s UNLESS they were truly intended as “wearable” muslins, i.e., a trial attempt at a pattern that you do intend to wear if it turns out well.
4.You must write a review of each of the UFO’s you complete. No composite review is required. Clarification: you only have to write one review per pattern used...so if you make for example three pairs of pants from one pattern you can include them all in one review and add up the points.

Here are the OFFICIAL RULES:
This contest is geared towards those projects that you began with so much joy and hope...only to see them relegated to a box/bag/back closet. Now is your chance to cross them off the to-do list. Only projects started and stalled before around March 1st of 2013 will qualify as an UnFinished Object (UFO) for this contest.

1. In the month of July 2013, enter the projects that you complete but which were started and somehow stalled before March 2013.

2. A UFO is any sewing project that has been started but stalled due to fitting issues or other difficulties, fabric cut but not yet sewn; partially sewn; or just waiting for the finishing touches. Mending Ready to Wear clothing or mending clothing you finished in the past does not count as a UFO for this contest. Fabric matched with a pattern but with no actual work done to the fabric does not count. A muslin does not count unless it is truly to be a wearable muslin.

3.Your current projects don't count if you've worked on it at any time after March 1st. Your hands, armed with pins, scissors, or sewing machine may not have touched it after the magical date of March 1st.

4. Please post on the contest discussion board a list of all your qualifying UFO's as you discover them or begin to finish them, as well as a guess as to how long this UFO exists. You can add additional UFOs as you find them.

5. Write a review about each of your UFO’s, including why it has been an unfinished object for so long. Note if there were problems in the pattern or project, and please include how you overcame them so readers can benefit from your experience. All reviews must be posted before 11:59 Eastern Time July 31st, as shown on this website.

6. Enter the review into the contest and Assign points per the table below. Remember you are on the honour system here!

--- 4 pts- fabric cut out- completely unsewn

--- 3 pts- more than half the project is left to do

--- 2 pts- less than half the project is left to do, but it is more than just hemming or attaching buttons

--- 1 pt- the final steps such as hemming or sewing on buttons

GENERAL RULES FOR ALL CONTESTS

1. All reviews must be entered for submission by 11:59 PM Eastern Time on the last day of the contest. It is suggested to start your review as a Work In Progress (private or public) so that you can get any bugs ironed out prior to the deadline.
2. Patterns MAY be muslined prior to the start of this contest however; fabric for contest garment may NOT be cut prior to the start of the contest. Fabric may be pretreated before the start of the contest.
3. Items intended for sale, or for which you were or will be paid to make, do not qualify for any contest, but items made for charity are welcome.
4. Unless otherwise stated in the rules, all reviews written for a contest entry must include a picture of the entry, preferably on a live model.
5. Interpretation of rules is subject to the discretion of the contest manager and the contest committee.

Contest Eligibility: ***Rule #1 is changed for 2013
1. Any member of Pattern Review, either paying (FoPR) or non-paying, who is a registered member on the site before the contest begins is eligible to enter.
2. Any member of Pattern Review, either paying (FoPR) or non-paying, who's been a registered member on the site for 90 days prior to the end of a contest is eligible to vote in a contest.
3. Any member who's won first place in a contest on Pattern Review that ended in the previous four-month period is ineligible to win another contest (during that four-month period).

The first, second and third place winners will be decided by points not member vote. Prizes will be awarded to the first and second place winners.

Prizes for the contest:
First Prize: Any online class of the winner's choice.
Second Prize: Any pattern (digital or paper) of the winner's choice.
-- Edited on 7/31/13 11:38 AM --

CTBarb
star
CTBarb  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Connecticut USA
Member since 9/19/06
Send Message

Date: 6/19/13 3:03 PM

This will be the post where I keep track of questions asked and the answers that I or the Contest Committee give.

Quote: DonnaH
So a top that just needs a new ___ cut and sewn (facing, sleeve - yes these are 2 I have in mind), would be a 2 pt project, and the top w/ 2 seams sewn (before I gave up) would be 3 pts?
Or are they even eligible because there is fabric that needs to be cut?
Or is the facing-less top only 1 pt.? It really is totally finished (even hemmed), except I ripped out the facing because I wanted to redo it. The one missing the sleeves, I think I would like to cut new sleeves because I messed up the plackets on the ones I have (and then sewed one to the wrong side, but that's another story, lol).

Answer: You are right.
The top that needs a new whatever cut and sewn would be 2 points. It is eligible since the originally cut pieces are being replaced. The top with only 2 seams sewn would be 3. The facing is more than hemming or buttons...so 2 pts.

RTW alterations would not per se be eligible for the contest.
Projects which are in the planning stage, i.e., that is pattern matching to fabric , but not cut out are not eligible.
A project which you started with one idea in mind and then decided to change to something else and put aside before March 1, 2013 would be eligible

2. Contest Winner: Revision ....The winners will be determined by points NOT member votes.

3. I have a question - can an item that was sewn up incorrectly be undone and resewn then be entered as a finishing touches/1 pt entry? I have a bathing suit that has a ruching tab at the bust. I ran out of time to sew it on correctly for my trip last year so I just quickly tacked it on. I've been wanting to redo it correctly and is currently sitting with my UFO's.
Answer:. Yes I would say that is a one pointer. Nothing in the rules says you can't have worn the project unfinished. Join in!

4. I have a question. One of my items is so dated I want to re-cut it as a different pattern. Would that still qualify?

Yes it is eligible. Include a before and after photo in your review if you can so we can see the original intent and the final garment.

5. Home dec projects are eligible. Just judge how much of the project is left to do to judge how many points you shoudl award yourself.

6. Adjudication please. I have been asked to finish some UFO charity sewing. They are cotton shorts for the children of prostitutes in Cambodia. Apparently these kids are so poor that they dont have proper clothes and this precludes them from going to school. One of the ladies in my ASG (Australian Sewing Guild) group knows someone who visits directly so there is some assurance that they will reach people in genuine need. Anyway, these shorts have been cut out for a while with no one to sew them. I believe they were cut out some time ago, certainly before March. However, I've only had them for a month and will finish them before my next ASG meeting. The question is whether the garments needed to be in my personal stash since before March? Or just in someone's stash in general?

Answer: Sorry these shorts are not eligible. They don't meet the spirit of the contest as stated in the first paragraph of the rules as follows:
This contest is geared towards those projects that you began with so much joy and hope...only to see them relegated to a box/bag/back closet. Now is your chance to cross them off the to-do list.

Clearly the contest is intended to have you finish your UFOs not someone else's.

-- Edited on 6/20/13 10:08 PM --
-- Edited on 6/20/13 10:09 PM --
-- Edited on 6/20/13 10:09 PM --
-- Edited on 6/22/13 8:38 AM --
-- Edited on 6/24/13 7:20 AM --
-- Edited on 6/29/13 9:03 AM --
-- Edited on 7/7/13 7:16 AM --
-- Edited on 7/19/13 3:59 PM --
-- Edited on 7/19/13 4:05 PM --
wenznz
star
wenznz  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 7/8/11
Send Message

Date: 6/20/13 1:15 AM

This might just be the contest for me. I did a spring clean (well winter really?!) in my sewing room on the weekend and discovered a few more 'sewing kits' than I realised. It seems I am a bit better at planning and cutting out projects than I am at sewing them together!

------
Wendy
Wellington, New Zealand

CTBarb
star
CTBarb  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Connecticut USA
Member since 9/19/06
Send Message

In reply to wenznz <<

Date: 6/20/13 9:37 AM

I have been there! Yes, yes please join...even if you don't win, completing even one project will make you feel good.

Kelly D.
star
Kelly D.  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 4/24/05
Send Message

Date: 6/20/13 9:59 AM

Huh, I have no UFO's according to your definition, but PLENTY of fabric matched with patterns not yet cut (maybe that's another contest for another day?) and even more UFO's in my other pastimes: hand embroidery, knitting, drawing and painting. Go figure. I will watch this contest with interest, though.

crazygrad
star
crazygrad
Advanced Beginner
Member since 11/11/07
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/20/13 11:56 AM

I still have UFOs sitting around since the last UFO contest...

CTBarb
star
CTBarb  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Connecticut USA
Member since 9/19/06
Send Message

In reply to Kelly D. <<

Date: 6/20/13 12:00 PM

Lucky you ...I have lots of fabric that i haven't even started to think about fabrics for!

Judy Kski
star
Judy Kski  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 10/26/08
Send Message

In reply to crazygrad <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/20/13 12:59 PM

That's too funny. I still have a Master List posted on a cork board above my sewing desk from the last contest. I even updated it once I found out this was one of the contests for 2013! Now I need to go through it and prioritize the projects and assign the correct point values they'd receive if I completed them. Once that is complete, I'll be able to post a proposed list for THIS contest. I have to admit, my UFO's are out of control. . . .

------
Judy

fourkid
starstar
fourkid  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/30/08
Send Message

Date: 6/20/13 6:12 PM

I think this contest winner is determined by points - not member votes?

------
Blessings,
Patti
http://poured-out.blogspot.com/
http://homeschooling-imperfectly.blogspot.com/

fourkid
starstar
fourkid  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/30/08
Send Message

Date: 6/20/13 6:19 PM

My UFO List
(to be updated as to projects, order, and specifics as I go along)

1. Dd's blue summer dress ~ 1 year
2. Dd's Christmas lace dress ~ 3.5 years
3. My gold slip/nightgown ~ 5+ years
4. Dd's plaid dress ~ 1 year
5. Dd's purple jeans ~ 1.5 years
6. Doll carriers (2) ~ 1.5 years

-- Edited on 6/20/13 6:25 PM --
-- Edited on 7/1/13 8:53 AM --

------
Blessings,
Patti
http://poured-out.blogspot.com/
http://homeschooling-imperfectly.blogspot.com/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Contest Discussions >> UFO Contest 2013 - Official Discussion

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

10 inch Professional Shears

10 inch Professional Shears

Buy Now
SewBaby Blankie Buddies Pattern

SewBaby Blankie Buddies Pattern

Buy Now
Simplicity 5201

photo
by: morzel

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.