SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Beginner's Forum > That Last Hook . . . ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
That Last Hook . . .
or, The Horrible Tendency to Not Quite Finish
demoiselle
star
demoiselle
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/21/11
online now
Send Message

Date: 6/21/13 10:10 AM

In my "triumphant return to sewing," I have so far completed two skirts that I have worn in public (would have been 3, but my cat peed on my beautiful wool skirt and it couldn't be saved. Pooh.).

The skirts are pretty good, I think, and fit well enough (and for the pencil skirt, I even had to do some adjustments). After encouragement on my other thread on this forum, I've decided to actually take photos and post reviews.

I notice, however, that despite having had and worn these skirts for over a year, I haven't QUITE finished them. I never sat down and put in the hook and eye.

Such a simple thing--and the only thing in the way (aside from repairing a loose hem) of these being officially DONE.

Anyone else have trouble actually FINISHING the last detail of their pieces?
-- Edited on 6/21/13 10:11 AM --

------
Yes, I started a blog.
http://demoiselledesigns.wordpress.com/

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 6/21/13 10:53 AM

yes, and if there are any mental health professionals in the forums, please speak up and tell us why we do this!

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

demoiselle
star
demoiselle
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/21/11
online now
Send Message

In reply to marec <<

Date: 6/21/13 11:39 AM

LOL, my dad was a psychiatrist and my mom a social worker, but they can't give any insight.

For me, I think I just hate having to hand-sew that one little thing in. I've also got a pile of store-bought things with loose buttons (why are the buttons and snaps always sewn on so badly--especially on coats?!).

------
Yes, I started a blog.

NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/4/11
Send Message

Date: 6/21/13 11:54 AM

I never use those hooks anyway. If you've been wearing it without it, I'd call it finished. Congratulations!

------
I finally have a blog. www.detectivehoundstooth.com :)

demoiselle
star
demoiselle
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/21/11
online now
Send Message

In reply to NhiHuynh <<

Date: 6/21/13 11:59 AM

Quote: NhiHuynh
I never use those hooks anyway. If you've been wearing it without it, I'd call it finished. Congratulations!

Thank you! I have considered the two skirts pretty much "finished" anyway, but I always notice that they were meant to have those hooks. I think I will finally make myself put the hooks in, especially on my first one (it will hide the boo-boo that resulted from me learning how to insert a zipper).

------
Yes, I started a blog.

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

In reply to demoiselle <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/21/13 11:59 AM

The cure for Hand-Sewing Avoidance Syndrom- travel! Take it on the airplane to nix boredom and also console yourself at night when you are far from your machine. Works for me . . . 2 or 3 times a year.

Sorta only joking, I like hand sewing and not just when I travel. I learned a lot in Fashion Design School and even working in a designer sewing factory. Some little last things are like tucking your garment in for the night. They just purr with pleasure. Hand sewing also lowers my blood pressure!

Could be just the idea of it? Perhaps like me, you'll find slowing down and tending to it actually is satisfying. I'm sure there are legions on the opposite side of the teeter totter.

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

quathy
star
quathy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 6/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/21/13 3:22 PM

I used to think that it's just because I dread hemming, but I finally came to the realization that for me it's psychological. I just don't want the fun to be over!

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 6/21/13 11:57 PM

For some reason hooks & eyes drive me crazy...and I love hand sewing. I'll gladly trade with someone...I'll do your cutting out if you'll do my hooks & eyes?!

Virginia Hazel
Virginia Hazel
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 2/21/13
Send Message

Date: 6/22/13 4:52 AM

I love hand sewing the hems but that's just because I can be a perfectionist and sew in bed. :P

Plottie

Plottie
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 3/19/07
Send Message

In reply to quathy <<

Date: 6/22/13 7:46 AM

Quote: quathy
I just don't want the fun to be over!

my viewpoint would be that if I haven't actually finished it then I'm not disappointed because it hasn't turned out how I wanted it too.

or

I'm just bored with it & want to move on to something new

(hmm, pessimist with a short attention span )

------
Blue Mountains, NSW

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> That Last Hook . . .

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Silhouette Patterns 112

photo
by: ssssdeb

Review
You Sew Girl 150mm Purse Frame Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 150mm Purse Frame Purse Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby Easy to Sew Baby Layette Pattern

SewBaby Easy to Sew Baby Layette Pattern

Buy Now
BurdaStyle Magazine 09-2010-114

photo
by: marie elis...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.