SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Overwhelmed with decisions ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Overwhelmed with decisions
quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MD
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

Date: 6/21/13 10:48 AM

I've been collecting patterns somewhat since I started Sprouts after deciding I really liked appliqueing and the artistic freedom it gives you. But now I've become overwhelmed with stuff I want to make and seeing how Spouts took so long and that was much less work then the projects I've been looking at/planning. I have enough projects on the drawing board to last me a few years. And I keep coming back to this so much that I think it's really calling my name.
Celestial Dreams

Every time I look at this I just get a chill and something is telling me I must do this. It's big, it's going to be very time consuming and the pattern is so expensive. But it keeps calling me. I've realized in the designing of my own project I'm doing with a friend, I enjoy it but the process is so slow for me as I'm limited in talent to draw what I exactly want and the placement and scale. I've got to get some perspective on this on I won't do anything. I just received the Suzanne Marshall pattern for the Apple Orchard and that is a lot of work and ordered some fabrics for it(marbles so I could use for other projects as well). I don't know maybe the events of the past week have me a little stressed and I haven't quilted or done anything related except come here. I really wish I had more time to work on projects.
-- Edited on 6/21/13 10:49 AM --

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/21/13 11:00 AM

What about this design draws you in? I looked at it and it is several patterns in one. Some in the corners, the center sun with the box around it. The border around that box. As I said, many designs in one pattern.

Can you rescale it down as it is pretty large or just pick a part of the design and work on it? Such as the center sun in the box? That alone would be a lot of work. Does it all HAVE to be applique? Looking at the border around the sun, could you find some fabric that is similar and just cut strips of it and not it applique style?

------
I really enjoy quilting. I love to play with fabrics, colors and pictures. I recently discovered how much fun applique can be. As I love making pictures, landscape quilting can be challenging, but seeing the picture come to life is so rewarding.
Bernina 630, my main machine
Pfaff 2036, my class machine
Babylock Molly
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
NC USA
Member since 2/17/06
online now
Send Message

Date: 6/21/13 11:13 AM

I do think the tragedy you are still reeling from CAN make you feel overwhelmed by EVERYTHING.

Don't think too hard about the time these things take. That alone can make you think it's too much to even attempt! Just think of the process, and how much you enjoy it.

And remember you do NOT have to draw things well. In the book we share she talks about just using a representation of what you want it to be to mark placement, doesn't have to be the actual one.

Celestial Dreams is GORGEOUS! It is so very beautiful! What is worrying you about having multiple patterns you want to make? I KNOW you have a lot lined up, but that is the way it is for MANY many (lots and lots) of quilters. We LOVE quilt patterns and designs and tend to have a VERY long list of ones we love so much we want to make it! Yours just happen to be mostly applique.

------
Cathryn

quiltingwolf
star
Intermediate
MD
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to Learn To Sew <<

Date: 6/21/13 11:15 AM

It the theme that draws me in and yes I would make some changes. I wouldn't do that pieced border. But it's still a lot of money to put into a pattern. Although I guess not as Ryan McKenna's patterns, the combined ones with all the patterns are like $100. I'm thinking this is pretty much like The Apple Orchard you are basically paying for artwork. That pattern is a large full size piece of paper with the full sized artwork/design on it and another page of a few notes. Then you are on your own with is fine. One thing I've learn from looking at these big pieces is to do them in units. So if you do get tired of working on it and want to finish it you can finish with what you've done. I think in a few weeks I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy the pattern.

------

quiltingwolf
star
Intermediate
MD
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to Cat n Bull <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 6/21/13 11:49 AM

thanks Cat and your right. I can work on more then one thing at a time. I caved and brought the Celest pattern. I had some money left over from grocery shopping last week lol. Now I HAVE all I need to make stuff for quite a while. Might just need some background fabrics etc. Get my sewing room cleaned up this weekend and I'm good to go.

On the angel in the Celest pattern I'm going to change the hair and heart beard to a ginger color to represent the loss we suffered last Sunday.

Edited to add told hubby about it when he called me at lunchtime and he said it was glad I got it. Now it's guilt free and added bonus.
-- Edited on 6/21/13 1:52 PM --

------

quiltingwolf
star
Intermediate
MD
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

Date: 6/21/13 2:00 PM

I just read on a woman's blog about someone who made this quilt. It took them 9 years. OMG what did I get myself into. It's really like 21 quilts in one. However this quilt will be an easy piece to work on here and there since it's already in units.

------

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
LA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 6/21/13 3:41 PM

Well I love celestial themes, and this is lovely. I've been wanting some of this fabric: Celestial Dreams

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

quiltingwolf
star
Intermediate
MD
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to SouthernStitch <<

Date: 6/21/13 3:56 PM

yeah that is really pretty

------

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
VT USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 6/21/13 4:43 PM

QW, you and I are kindred spirits in a way... I too am drawn to patterns that are very complex. I know it will take me years to complete Dear Jane; Stars & Sprigs; Bali Wedding Star... some have considerable amount of applique too. I have mild tremors in my hands so hand applique is too slow and painful. I keep sticking myself with the needle so I've resorted to machine applique. Aesthetically it is not my preferred method but heck, I am using the tools I have to make it easier not harder.

I do not look at the time it will take me to accomplish these projects as I want to enjoy them and not have them become a chore. I will not impose a timeline on them. I also decided it was perfectly OK to let other projects I want to make to take front and center effort from time to time. I have so many projects I have ongoing that I spend a week or two with each before I move onto another project. The Trip quilt this spring was an obsession and I did that in a couple weeks... that is OK!

If I think of all the projects I have, I too could become overwhelmed but that is simply not what I want to do. I also had a let down on the sewing machine front because I had saved for the B750 only to have things crash down around me... No new sewing machine for me made me not want to go back into my sewing room for a while. I realized I don't need a fancy machine. I already have great machines. I finally decided it was time to make the things that make me happy take center stage. I am heading to the Vermont Quilt Festival this week and taking a class with Brenda Papadakis who wrote the Dear Jane book. It has reinvigorated my interest in
that project. I've been making blocks all week.

I believe you can do this because you have the talent! It is a beautiful quilt.... and I can wait to see what you do!

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

quiltingwolf
star
Intermediate
MD
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to Warbler <<

Date: 6/21/13 7:43 PM

thanks Warbler I hope you have a great time in your class. I too was drawn to the Dear Jane but a long time ago. And I didn't in anyway think I could do that I might re-visit it. I'm sorry you couldn't get you machine. I know what's that's like to look forward to something and then it doesn't come to pass. I have a bone spur in my left thumb and I'm left handed. I know I abuse it but I can't even think of doing all the hand sewing. So will be doing any applique with fusible and machine stitching. I hate getting old. And I do like the process, its' the journey not the ending.

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Overwhelmed with decisions

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Vogue Patterns 7608

photo
by: Mobycat

Review
Favorite Things Little Prairie Girl Pattern

Favorite Things Little Prairie Girl Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop L2 Bag Pattern

Sewing Workshop L2 Bag Pattern

Buy Now
Simplicity 5581

photo
by: sewsewboy

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.