SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Miscellaneous > Can you recommend any good mystery novels? ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Can you recommend any good mystery novels?
Don't like gratuitous violence
rivergum
starstarstarstar
rivergum
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 12/17/06
Send Message

Date: 6/21/13 7:04 PM

I have read mostly piles of non fiction for work over the last decade or so, but want to move back into fiction for leisure.

The trouble is that I started with 'The girl with the dragon tattoo', which I enjoyed for the most, except that i found the graphic violence to be off the scale and unacceptable. I will not read any other novels by this author because of this, and and the general level of violence coming through in online reviews of books has made me wary of a lot of fiction on the market.

Has anyone read any good mysteries/thrillers that were strong on characters and a clever story line, and didn't have long, detailed, graphic descriptions of violence? I am appalled by this trend in our popular culture, even in children's books or films. DD, who is 33, told me that she watched the 'Hunger Games' and felt traumatised by the violence.

I don't think this is necessary for entertainment, even for adults.

So, can anyone recommend something for me to read that won't offend my obviously delicate sensibilities?

------
Taking in is happier than letting out.

Sydney, Australia

kkkkaty
starstarstar
kkkkaty  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Utah USA
Member since 12/7/05
Send Message

Date: 6/21/13 7:25 PM

The mystery novels set in Venice, written by Donna Leon, are very good.

I also recently picked up some mysteries written by Tana French that I liked very much. She is Irish, and they are set in Ireland.

In both there is only the violence, or suggestion of such, necessary to set the stage for a murder, otherwise they are story-driven. Good writing, in my opinion (for what that is worth.. ;))

Donna leon

Tana French

and I like this series: Blind Justice by Bruce Alexander, coveys a great sense of what it might have been like to live in the 18th century in London.
-- Edited on 6/21/13 7:31 PM --

------
Viking Lily 545
Viking Ruby
Bernina Activa 210
Brother 1034d

shana707

shana707
Advanced
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 3/23/05
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/21/13 7:49 PM

The Inspector Rutledge mysteries by Charles Todd. The characters are very well drawn and the violence is minimal. They are set in England shortly after WW I and there are flashbacks/descriptions of the war but they are horrifying more in what is implied than in actual depiction of violence. That is, the war did terrible things to people but you don't actually see the things being done. You see the result. Does this make sense? Anyway, there are 12 or 13 of these novels. I read them one after another--finished one and started the next immediately. They are very well written.

beginagain
star
beginagain  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Kentucky USA
Member since 10/30/06
Send Message

Date: 6/21/13 8:00 PM

I like the Amelia Peabody mysteries by Elizabeth Peters. Start with the first one because it has an ongoing family story. They are set in Egypt. Tony Hillerman wrote mysteries based on the Navajo reservation. Stay away from Jack Reacher. Violent.

------
If you wait for the perfect time to start, you'll never start.

beginagain
star
beginagain  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Kentucky USA
Member since 10/30/06
Send Message

Date: 6/21/13 8:09 PM

Oh I forgot di## Francis. Some violence but manageable. Usually has some tie to horse racing.

------

beginagain
star
beginagain  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Kentucky USA
Member since 10/30/06
Send Message

Date: 6/21/13 8:10 PM

Not sure what happened with his name.

------

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to beginagain <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/21/13 8:16 PM

Certain words are often censored on internet sites or email programs, because they sound like swear words or obscenities. Unfortunately, the nickname for people named Richard can be considered this way.

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
online now
Send Message

In reply to Elona <<
thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 6/21/13 8:18 PM

It was quite awkward a few years ago, when VP Cheney's name would come up....

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

rivergum
starstarstarstar
rivergum
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 12/17/06
Send Message

In reply to beginagain <<

Date: 6/21/13 8:24 PM

Quote: beginagain
Not sure what happened with his name.

It must be the shortened version of Richard. Not popular as a name these days, only as a swear word.

Many thanks for the suggestions everyone. Please keep it coming, as I like audiobooks and not everything is available in that form.

------
Taking in is happier than letting out.

Sydney, Australia

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

Date: 6/21/13 8:31 PM

Mary Stewart mysteries are good fun

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Can you recommend any good mystery novels?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

The Technique of Underlining Garments
The Technique of Underlining Garments

Register

Ottobre Design Magazine 04-2011-5

photo
by: Ghainskom

Review
Burda 7735

photo
by: MNBarb

Review
A-Door-Ables

A-Door-Ables

Buy Now
Take-Along Bags

Take-Along Bags

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.