SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Machine Embroidery > Having troubles with my new Brother PE700II already ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Having troubles with my new Brother PE700II already
rubbecca

rubbecca
Advanced Beginner
Member since 2/25/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/22/13 6:38 AM

I was so excited to receive my Brother PE700II from Costco. I had read all the online reviews and knew of some troubles people had but there were also so many positive reviews that I decided to chance it, especially I could return it to a Costco store.

I tried my first design which was the floral treble clef. I wound my own 90 wt bobbin and used the Brother Pacesetter thread that came with the starter kit. Everything was going well until about the 4th color change and the thread jammed into the little hole, forcing me to cut my fabric. The upper thread had created a birdnest right where the hole is, but was not wound around the bobbin case. I had used iron on tear away stabilizer since I had that on hand. For each color change, I snipped the previous color near the spool and then pull down the cut thread out of the needle.

I opened up the plate and cleared out the jam. I made sure everything was clean and put everything back in place. I then decided to try a single color design so I took a brand new piece of fabric and stabilizer to try again.

The machine only did a few stitches before jamming up and creating the bird nest again. I checked to make sure I threaded it correctly. So what's wrong? I feel like a made a big mistake buying the Brother embroidery machine now.

------
Janome Sewist 509
Rebranded Kenmore 19233/Janome DC 5100
Janome MyLock 644D
Janome CoverPro 1000CP
Brother PE 700II (traded)
Brother DreamMaker VE 2200

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OH USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to rubbecca <<

Date: 6/22/13 8:38 AM

I don't have an embroidery machine but thread nests are usually caused by needle and top thread. This is one machine I have looked at before so will be interested in what people say. I would check the needle and the thread path. Did you put a new needle in it? Check the thread path for errors in threading? Maybe a different stabilizer? I do hope you can get this working. It looks like a nice machine.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to rubbecca <<

Date: 6/22/13 9:10 AM

The problem is not the machine.

Before going any further, you need to remove the top, left side of the case and look for a thread jam.

Refer to the manual for cleaning the bobbin area. Remove the entire needle plate to be sure there isn't any thread snips. This is a general routine for machines with drop in bobbins as they collect a lot of lint and an occasional snip of thread which can drive the sensor crazy.

The thread is hanging up somewhere before gets to the needle.

This should help you understand the difference in how the thread should travel from the spool.

If you do not have a thread stand, sit the spool in a heavy mug next to the right of the machine and bring the thread straight up from the spool to the first thread guide.

Switch to a new needle just in case the one you were using has been bent.

-- Edited on 6/22/13 9:15 AM --

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

Date: 6/22/13 2:38 PM

All of us get a thread jam at one time or another. After freeing the jam, I unthread the machine as well as taking the bobbin out of its case and remove the needle. I brush out any lint, then re-thread, re-insert the needle, and replace the bobbin (and case, depending on the machine). This usually does the trick. It should be standard procedure with any thread jam (or other problems).

It could be a machine problem, but usually is a caught stray piece of thread, lint, worn or bent needle, or there is a good chance that it is user error.

------
That's Gl = for Gloria, not G. I.

rubbecca

rubbecca
Advanced Beginner
Member since 2/25/08
Send Message

Date: 6/22/13 2:52 PM

Hi,

I removed the left cover of the machine and there's no thread tangles there. Everything looks very clean since I just used the machine for the first time last night. I did remove the throat plate, removed the bobbin and case to check. No threads and no lint.

I just replaced the needle and will go out later today to get a different stabilizer and a cone stand.

------
Janome Sewist 509
Janome MyLock 644D
Janome CoverPro 1000CP

sewplenty
sewplenty
Advanced
WA USA
Member since 4/1/12
Send Message

Date: 6/23/13 0:07 AM

Go the help section of emlibrary.com. http://www.emblibrary.com/EL/help.aspx?page=helpthreadnest
They have a wonderful section on thread nesting. I believe it will take some practice to get to know what your machine likes and doesn't like and what settings/tensions work. I don't have the brother so I cannot speak exactly to your machine. It took a lot of practice, thread breaking, nesting, etc on my Future before I finally figured out how to make her hum.

------
Singer Quintet
Brother 1034D
Singer Stylist II Serger
Singer Heavy Duty 5532
Singer Signature (New One)
New Home Combi DX
Singer 319
Singer Featherweight 221

rubbecca

rubbecca
Advanced Beginner
Member since 2/25/08
Send Message

Date: 6/23/13 6:12 AM

Update: I was able to embroider single color simple designs, initials, and names with my PE 700II today. Here's what I tried:
1. Bought a cone thread holder and use that instead of the spool holder on the machine.
2. Put in a new needle.
3. Reduced the embroidery speed from 650 to 350.
4. Adjusted the top tension to 4 and adjusted bobbin tension counterclockwise to reduce the loops on top. (There still seems to be barely any bobbin thread showing on the underside. But I'm afraid to adjust more since there's no more loops on top)
5. Bought some white felt and used Pellon tear away stabilizer with it. (Is it necessary to use stabilizer with felt?)

So today I'm feeling better about the machine. I'm still on the fence about keeping it as it depends on more testing. Tomorrow, I will do some more sample embroidery still using the white felt and trying out some designs with color changes. If that is successful, I will try out muslin fabric and tear away stabilizer.

Question: The sample stabilizer (Brother brand) that came with my starter kit is much thicker than the Pellon tear away. I was trying to look for something similar to the Brother brand at Joann's but they only had Pellon and Sulky, thinner stabilizers. For embroidering on regular cotton quilting fabric, should I be using a thicker stabilizer or cut away stabilizer? I'm wondering if that's one of the reasons my machine chewed the fabric up that I was using the paper tear away with the cotton fabric.
-- Edited on 6/23/13 6:13 AM --

------
Janome Sewist 509
Janome MyLock 644D
Janome CoverPro 1000CP

Sewmissy2
Sewmissy2
Intermediate
MO USA
Member since 12/5/10
Send Message

In reply to rubbecca <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/23/13 9:42 AM

Quote: rubbecca
Update: I was able to embroider single color simple designs, initials, and names with my PE 700II today. Here's what I tried:

1. Bought a cone thread holder and use that instead of the spool holder on the machine.

2. Put in a new needle.

3. Reduced the embroidery speed from 650 to 350.

4. Adjusted the top tension to 4 and adjusted bobbin tension counterclockwise to reduce the loops on top. (There still seems to be barely any bobbin thread showing on the underside. But I'm afraid to adjust more since there's no more loops on top)

5. Bought some white felt and used Pellon tear away stabilizer with it. (Is it necessary to use stabilizer with felt?)

So today I'm feeling better about the machine. I'm still on the fence about keeping it as it depends on more testing. Tomorrow, I will do some more sample embroidery still using the white felt and trying out some designs with color changes. If that is successful, I will try out muslin fabric and tear away stabilizer.

Question: The sample stabilizer (Brother brand) that came with my starter kit is much thicker than the Pellon tear away. I was trying to look for something similar to the Brother brand at Joann's but they only had Pellon and Sulky, thinner stabilizers. For embroidering on regular cotton quilting fabric, should I be using a thicker stabilizer or cut away stabilizer? I'm wondering if that's one of the reasons my machine chewed the fabric up that I was using the paper tear away with the cotton fabric.
-- Edited on 6/23/13 6:13 AM --

The one thing you did not mention is what kind of thread you are using. Your thread can make a huge difference. Use quality thread. Madiera and Floriani are good brands. There are others as well, and there are brands that will not run well on your machine.

I would NOT mess with the bobbin tension at all unless it is last resort as it is adjusted at the factory for the weight of bobbin thread (90 wt).

Brother machines (and Baby Lock too) have a drop in bobbin that can throw the thin bobbin thread out of the tension if you don't make an effort to get the thread into the tension while threading it. I always pull a little thread off the bobbin before placing it into the bobbin case. Hold the bobbin with your finger so it will not turn while you put the thread into the bobbin threading tension. Just before cutting the thread, let go of the bobbin and give the thread a little tug to make sure you feel tension on it and then cut it off with the thread cutter.

Upper tension, if adjusted for embroidery, should probably be lowered, not raised. This will allow the bobbin to pull more thread underneath, so the bobbin thread will not show. I know you are having thread underneath, but adjusting tension is probably not the fix.

Thread nests, as mentioned above are usually from an error in top threading.

Stabilizer: If your stitches are dense, even on a woven, you might consider using a cutaway stabilizer. Do not skimp on stabilizer..it is VERY important to use enough. You do need stabilizer with felt. You need stabilizer with everything. Tearaway is usually fine with felt. Always use a cutaway for fabrics that will stretch like a knit. If you use a tearaway on a woven, use enough! For muslin, use a couple layers of tearaway, or use a cutaway. You can also use a no-show (sheer cutaway) plus a layer of tearaway floated under the hoop. If you see puckers, add more, floating it under the hoop if you have already started. You can also add some tearaway under the hoop if you are using a heavier cutaway.

Hooping: Always hoop nice and tight. I like to adjust my hoop screw mostly before putting the hoop on. If it is way loose and you tighten it with the screw with the fabric in the hoop, the fabric will actually get looser because it will balloon. Adjust the hoop by trying it, then pull it off and adjust the screw, try it again and see if it is closer. It should be a little bit hard to get on, but not so hard you break the hoop. You can tighten a little with the screw if necessary once you feel it is close. Pull the long edges of the fabric in towards the center to tighten them more, not to the outside because it can cause it to pop out of the hoop.

Needles: Always use an embroidery needle, usually a 75/11 size. Do not use a Singer needle as that is not right for your machine. Use Schmetz or Klasse..there may be other brands I don't know about too. If you are doing something thicker, use a 90/14 embroidery needle. Change needles often as there are a lot of stitches happening with that single needle. Every 6-8 hours minimum.

Hope some of this helps
Missy

------
Designer 1, bought in 2000
Simplicity 350 serger, bought about 1997
3 Tajima Neo single head embroidery machines
Digitizer by profession
Embroidery software: Tajima DGML by Pulse (commercial) also know Designer's Gallery and Floriani for home use.

sanchy
sanchy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
QC CANADA
Member since 4/28/09
Send Message

In reply to rubbecca <<

Date: 6/23/13 11:00 AM

Hi

I have this machine and find that if I have a problem it is usually one of two things causing the problem

1. not using the right stabilizer for the fabric
2. need to change the needle

I am slowing learning which stabilizer to use and would recommend getting a sample pack of stabilizers to get a good idea of what the options are. It is a real eye opener. Sulky has a sample pack and there is a lot of information in the pack that tells you which stabilizer is best for the type of fabric you are using. Other manufacturers most likely have sample packs as well. Good luck and hang in there. There is a lot more to embroidery than I thought when I bought my machine but I am very happy now.

------
Sandy

allorache
allorache  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
OR USA
Member since 12/10/11
Send Message

In reply to Sewmissy2 <<

Date: 6/23/13 4:15 PM

On the needle topic: organ ST needles are also good. I get them at alltstitch.com or on ebay -- I've bought organ needles from a seller named NGO, but I can't remember if he carries the ST ones. And I'm sorry, ebay is terrible for trying to find a seller by searching for the store name...

------
New Ovation!! Now a Babylock girl almost all the way - Ellegante 3, Evolution, and Melody. Plus a Sailrite LSZ-1 for those heavy duty projects

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> Having troubles with my new Brother PE700II already

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

The Smuggler's Daughter

Online Fabric Store
Web site

Victoria Jones Collection

Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Burda 7201

photo
by: maryfrana

Review
Christine Jonson Bell Sleeve Wrap & A-Line Skirt

Christine Jonson Bell Sleeve Wrap & A-Line Skirt

Buy Now
Islander Sewing Systems Irish Coat Pattern Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Irish Coat Pattern Pattern

Buy Now
BurdaStyle Magazine 03-2012-121A

photo
by: evyline

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.