SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Brother PQ 1500 ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Brother PQ 1500
Needle Threader and Thread Cutter and Spool Cushion
zeddie
zeddie  Friend of PR
Beginner
Alberta CANADA
Member since 11/10/03
Send Message

Date: 6/22/13 9:03 AM

I recently purchased a Brother PQ 1500 online and I am having trouble with a couple of functions. First, I have only managed to successfully thread the needle with the needle threader once. Since then, I just can't get it to work. Does anyone have any tips on how to get the needle threader to work every time? The needle threader wouldn't be such a big deal if the thread cutter worked properly but every time I use the thread cutter, the top thread becomes unthreaded and I have to re-thread the needle. Am I doing some thing wrong? The manual says the needle threader should be used with the presser foot down. Online, I read somewhere that the presser foot should be up.

The manual states that when winding bobbins where the threads are cross wound, the spool cushion should be used. I cannot figure out how to use the spool cushion. Does the spool go under it or on top of it? Also, is it to be used solely when winding the bobbin, or should it be used when the thread is on the spindle and threaded in the machine, too?

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/22/13 9:20 AM

Refer to the manual for the correct threading sequence and position of the "cushion".

The needle has to be in the correct position for the threader to connect with the eye of the needle.

There is a limit to how small a needle the threader can pass through the eye.

Work the threader slowly to see if the wire is in the correct position as it may be bent. This can be straightened with a small screwdriver - do not force the wire as it can break.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

bessiemae
bessiemae
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 4/15/06
Send Message

Date: 6/22/13 10:45 AM

I have that machine and find the needle threader fussy and clunky, compared to the super easy one on the NX650Q. My solution is simply NOT to use it! The needles used on the 1500 are ginormous and super easy to thread...even with trifocals.

Use the foam cushion beneath the spools and use the spool disks atop. Or put the cross wound spool in a coffee mug and thread through antenna. Raise the thread guide/antenna to full height.

Thread cutter....mine cuts the bobbin thread wicked short, necessitating serger tweezers to fish it out. Tend not to use the thread cutter, as I like longer " tails" to knot and bury in quilts. Old fashion thread cutter on the side of the machine works perfect, every time.

The machine sews a phenomenal stitch equal to Bernina ( per Bernina dealer at quilt guild) and is quite powerful. My favorite! The thread cutter and needle threader quirks are not deal breakers.

------
Brother Innovis NX650Q; Brother Nouvelle 1500; Brother CS6000i; Brother 1034D; Janome 1000CPX

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 6/22/13 1:42 PM

You can still use the "auto" thread cutter and have a tail to bury.

Stop, raise the presser foot and needle and move over a few inches on the fabric top. Activate the thread cutter and you have your tail to bury.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

zeddie
zeddie  Friend of PR
Beginner
Alberta CANADA
Member since 11/10/03
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 6/22/13 2:29 PM

I did read the manual before posting but the manual does not answer my question about the thread cushion. The manual states the following in the bobbin winding section: "Use spool cushion when using cross-wound thread." There is no diagram to show how the thread cushion is used, no picture and the threading diagram on page 7 does not show where the thread spool is in relation to the spool cushion when winding the bobbin. The use of the spool cap is shown but not the spool cushion. Is the thread spool supposed to be inside the cushion i.e under it? Is it only to be used for winding the bobbin or do you use it on the thread spool when sewing too? The threading diagram on page 10 (which shows the upper threading) does not show the thread spool at all, only the threading of the needle, the thread guides, and the take-up lever.

zeddie
zeddie  Friend of PR
Beginner
Alberta CANADA
Member since 11/10/03
Send Message

Date: 6/22/13 2:34 PM

I think there may be some confusion about my spool cushion question. I am not referring to the foam cushion but the teepee shaped plastic piece that the manual labels "spoon cushion". I am not sure how to use that piece. I don't know how I could fit a spool underneath it and I don't think a spool can fit on top of it.

I though the foam cushion was for packing purposes as the manual does not show the foam cushion in any of the diagrams showing the thread spool and the bobbin winding functions! I tried to sew with it and the thread spool seemed to get caught on it so I took it off.

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to zeddie <<

Date: 6/22/13 2:39 PM

The spool cushion is for cones. It is on page 7 of your manual - these are like the thread holder cones (never heard of them as cushions before?!) on a serger and the cones pop over the top and this gives solidity to the cone.

If it is a SPOOL you have that is cross wound, you put it on the spool pin or use a thread stand or the jar idea previously mentioned. For winding bobbins, my feeling is you can pop that baby on the spool pin and do your bobbin - I know I haven't had trouble using cross wound spools on my machines for that - and in fact only use a thread stand for cross would on a machine with vertical spool pins when I am doing FMQ. Otherwise I don't have thread issues - you shouldn't have issues with your built in thread holder/stands and cross wound thread as it is made to come off the top of the spool/cone anyway.

Try doing a bobbin using the regular spool arrangement and see if it works.

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

zeddie
zeddie  Friend of PR
Beginner
Alberta CANADA
Member since 11/10/03
Send Message

In reply to Mufffet <<

Date: 6/22/13 2:55 PM

Muffet,

Thank you for that explanation! That makes a lot of sense. I couldn't figure out what to do with the cone shaped things. I don't usually use cones so this wasn't obvious. The manual is rather cryptic as it only refers to "cross-wound thread".

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to zeddie <<

Date: 6/22/13 2:59 PM

:) Yes, and I realized you didn't have a cone of thread. Odd, they expect you to know what those are for when you haven't seen them before! Good luck and keep asking questions when you need to. I do not have this machine, but my machine also has a thread antennae set up and those cone holders, and I happen to have a copy of your machines manual in my hoard of manuals.;) I thought long and hard about buying the Brother 1500S and made the decision to get the Janome 6300. That Brother still calls to me. I wouldn't care about the thread cutter myself as they all seem to cut the bobbin thread too short, and sometimes any needle threader takes a bit of finesse to operate, which I don't mind doing. Have some fun with that machine! I hear good things about it!

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

Barbara R
star
Barbara R
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 6/22/13 3:33 PM

I recently bought this machine, and find the threader fussy but functional. Be sure the needle is in its highest position and that you actually pull the thread across in the back to actually catch the tiny hook that is through the needle's eye. Those hooks (on any machine) are easily bent but also often easily re-bent back to the right location so they in fact go through the needle.

Also, if the needle is coming unthreaded when you use the cutter, maybe your top tension is too tight, so it's kind of "bouncing back" and out through the needle. I cut with the foot down; if yours is up, maybe that causes a problem.

Finally, there is no need to fish out the bobbin thread after using the cutter. You can just start sewing again. This is my experience with all the newer machines that have thread cutters. It's not like the old days, where you had to take a stitch and pull up the bobbin thread before starting to sew.

I will be using this machine only for garments and home decor, and so far I love it!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Brother PQ 1500

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

New Look 6962

photo
by: Madcap

Review
Lolita Patterns Olive Peplum Top Pattern

Lolita Patterns Olive Peplum Top Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Sandra Betzina Vest & Skirt Pattern

Sewing Workshop Sandra Betzina Vest & Skirt Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.