SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Seattle vs. Portland? ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Seattle vs. Portland?
Thoughts on possible relocation?
michellep74
starstarstar
michellep74  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 7/19/07
Send Message

Date: 6/22/13 10:45 PM

So... If you read my thread(s) from a few weeks ago, you'll know that I was unexpectedly laid off from my job, and my husband and I were pondering whether this was a "sign" to pick up and move from overly expensive SoCal and maybe look at relocating to another city that appealed to us.

Cooler heads prevailed and we decided that I'd sent out resumes to the "appealing" cities and see what happened. (I didn't think anyone would even talk to us, given that we'd need to relocate.) Well, I've done several rounds of phone screens and now have interviews lined up for two big tech companies this coming week--one interview is with a very well known tech company in Seattle, the other is with a team in a satellite office in Portland for another very well known company.

If I were to get similar offers from both companies (thinking optimistically here), what are some pros and cons to each city? (I've only visited them on short trips and have completely romanticized views of both.) (I am also expecting an offer from a local company in San Diego where I LOVED the team, think the product line has a good future, and received positive feedback from my post-interview "thank you" note.)

-- Edited on 6/22/13 10:46 PM --

------
--Michelle

Blog: http://happilycaffeinated.blogspot.com/

2014 Fabric IN: 153.13 yards
2014 Fabric OUT: 88 yards
2014 Fabric Sewn: 38 yards
2014 Fabric Donated: 50 yards
pre-2014 Stash patterns used in 2014: 7

SquishSews
star
SquishSews  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 1/18/09
Send Message

Date: 6/22/13 10:52 PM

I have no advice as I've not been to either of those cities, but wante dto send positivity on your interviews!!

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

Date: 6/22/13 11:46 PM

This is not too helpful, but no sales tax in Oregon and you cannot pump your own gas, so these two would have me pick Portland, although both cities are good.

------
That's Gl = for Gloria, not G. I.

SewRaeMe

SewRaeMe
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/20/08
Send Message

Date: 6/23/13 0:56 AM

You might want to look into the health care and the school districts of each. I have heard Portland has very good drs. etc.

------
Formerly The Canadian

chebre

chebre
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/4/09
Send Message

Date: 6/23/13 1:31 AM

I've never lived in either, but have friends that do. Both are grat and fun cities. I think Seattle is more expensive. Good luck!

Mandolin82
star
Mandolin82  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 5/8/03
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/23/13 10:53 AM

I live in a Seattle suburb, and have siblings that live in Seattle and we all love it.

I have two other siblings who live in Portland, they love it.

I'd say Seattle is more metropolitan, and busier. Portland is smaller and a bit more laid back. I think I would love living either place. That whole hipster thing about Portland has truth to it.

Washington has high sales tax and no state income tax. Portland has no sales tax, and I assume a state income tax. Portland has rivers and a fairly short drive to the Oregon coast. Seattle has Puget Sound, Lake Washington and Washington State Ferries (which I love). Seattle has the Cascades, the Olympics and Mt. Rainier to look at. Portland has Mt. Hood.

I assume you would be visiting both cities, so you can get a feel for them. I think I might base the decision on cost of living, can you afford to live close to work (to avoid the commute), and how are the school districts where you would want to live. Oh, and when you talk school districts, don't just base it on test scores and ratings. Talk to the people who are actually sending kids to schools.

Vivienne
star
Vivienne
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 6/29/04
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/23/13 11:51 AM

Love em both as a visitor. Seattle does have a more cosmopolitan "big city" feel, whereas Portland reminds me of....honestly nowhere else.

I had to think about it and realized Portland reminds me of being a university student in the 90's haha.

------
Cheap fabrics, like cheap shoes, are a false economy.

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

In reply to Mandolin82 <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/23/13 12:23 PM

Quote: Mandolin82
Washington has high sales tax and no state income tax. Portland has no sales tax, and I assume a state income tax. Portland has rivers and a fairly short drive to the Oregon coast. Seattle has Puget Sound, Lake Washington and Washington State Ferries (which I love). Seattle has the Cascades, the Olympics and Mt. Rainier to look at. Portland has Mt. Hood.

We lived in Vancouver, Washington, a city of about 160,000 that is literally just across the Columbia River from Portland. So you get the benefits of "living" in both states.

Portland also has the Cascades, and in addition to daily views of Mt. Hood, daily views of Mt. Saint Helens; as well the Columbia River Gorge and its spectacular series of waterfalls; and quick access to the beautiful Willamette River Valley, Oregon's wine country. I think the weather in Portland is more changeable (do you get snow in Seattle outside the mountains?), with more of a sense of the passing seasons. As someone mentioned in your previous thread, the entire region will have much less sunshine than you're used to in San Diego--and that definitely CAN be an issue for people. I love overcast weather, and adored living in Portland--but I have to admit I was relieved when we moved back to the hot, sunny Plains. This is one of the reasons, I think, that there's such an outdoorsy culture in the Northwest.

Something important for whichever area you relocate: It's pronounced "Or-uh-gun" not "Or-uh-gone." That will immediately brand you as an outsider, and probably a Californian.

Good luck!! This is an exciting time, and very cool that you're embracing it as an adventure.

------
~Gem in the prairie

LauraTS
star
LauraTS  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 7/10/06
Send Message

Date: 6/23/13 1:21 PM

My impression, from a few years ago when we were thinking about relocating for my husband's job, was that Seattle is (obviously) a bigger city, more cosmopolitan, and also had a more robust economy. Although I loved Portland in its quirky way, it seemed like the kind of place where the economy was still struggling and if you needed to find a new job, depending on the field, it could be harder. I think the cost of living is probably a bit lower, though. To pull out some stereotypes, Seattle is more happening with more events etc. and Portland is more mellow and hippie.

------
I've moved! Visit my new sewing blog at http://chiralcraft.wordpress.com

Do you sew from KnipMode? Join us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knipmode_english/

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

Date: 6/23/13 1:59 PM

There is a good Amtrak train between both cities, so you can always fabric shop in the "other" city.

(Portland has Palmer/Pletsch hdqtrs)

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Seattle vs. Portland?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Burda 8860

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
No Pattern Used 8819

photo
by: Sew Passio...

Review
Favorite Things Uptown Coat Pattern

Favorite Things Uptown Coat Pattern

Buy Now
Paradiso Designs Be Green Market Bag Pattern

Paradiso Designs Be Green Market Bag Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.