SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Do you save money sewing? ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Do you save money sewing?
or does it cost as much (just in dollar amounts) as RTW
demoiselle
star
demoiselle
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/21/11
Send Message

Date: 6/23/13 8:44 PM

Looking back, do you think you have saved money by sewing your own clothes? Or do you spend more on it than you would buying RTW? I'm asking this out of genuine curiosity. I know there are many things that are hard to put a price on (you can't get custom-fit garments RTW!). However, what is your overall impression?

(I asked this about knitting once, and the consensus was that most of the people there spent far more on their knitted clothes than they would have spent in the store--FAR more.)

------
Yes, I started a blog.
http://demoiselledesigns.wordpress.com/

lelliebunny
star
lelliebunny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/24/12
Send Message

In reply to demoiselle <<
thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 6/23/13 8:50 PM

for me, just buying the materials are cheaper than buying RTW, but the time cost of everything that goes into the clothing makes it significantly more expensive. of course that is on top of all of the tools/machines/notions/whatnot that i already had beforehand!

------
it doesn't matter what type of sewing you do. you are sewing, and sewing is good.

simplystitches
simplystitches
New York USA
Member since 2/12/06
Send Message

thumbsup 9 members like this.

Date: 6/23/13 9:04 PM

Do I save money? Maybe, maybe not. However, I have a better wardrobe that I would if I were to buy RTW in the same price range that I pay for the fabrics to make them plus they fit me better.

I'm not even going to factor in the price of machines and any other thing that gets used. It's something I enjoy immensely and the cost of any of that is like any other hobby/sport etc. There are equipment costs associated with it. You can't say you're a bike rider if you don't have a bike, right?

Debbie

KiwiWendy
starstarstar
KiwiWendy
Advanced
International AUSTRALIA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to demoiselle <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 6/23/13 9:09 PM

I simply almost never find RTW that fits me, so I'd be spending a fortune either paying for alterations or paying someone else to make clothes for me - some fit issues simply can't be fixed by alterations. I also get better quality garments, ie better construction and longer lasting clothing.

It's just as well that I find it satisfying and enjoyable, cos I'd need to do it anyway.

------
Sydney, Australia

HarrietHomeowner

HarrietHomeowner  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 1/13/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/23/13 9:17 PM

Since I got interested in sewing, I haven't been able to get myself to buy a lot of RTW clothes, so in that sense, I have saved a lot of money! But I've only made a handful of garments that I actually wear.

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

thumbsup 7 members like this.

Date: 6/23/13 9:28 PM

Sometimes I do. Certainly not when Kohl's or Walmart is having a sale. However, I have something that fits right and in colors and a style that I like wearing. Fabric is expensive but even clothing at Kohl's or Walmart are not cheap anymore. When you get good enough to compete with some of the better clothing I think you can save some money. Dresses that are sold for several hundreds of dollars can be made for a fraction of the cost and even if you buy high quality fabric. So, I think it depends on your skill level and the fabric sales that you can find. For me, I also get the enjoyment of making it and that is worth something!

Sharon48
star
Sharon48  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/17/12
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 6/24/13 0:48 AM

I always buy fabric, patterns and notions on sale - some sales are better than others.
It will be a long time before I can really say "I save money", due to machines, equipment, furniture, but heh, it is my passion:)
The enjoyment of the whole process is invaluable!!
I make most gifts (weddings, birthdays, etc) and really feel I save a lot and the gifts are always well received/appreciated.

------
Sewing is a passion, so relaxing and calming!

Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Babylock Evolution
Babylock Melody
Viking 190
BLCS-2 (I know, I know - but had
to have it!!)
Babylock Embellisher
Singer 401A

Sarsez
star
Sarsez
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 7/2/09
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/24/13 2:35 AM

Short answer is "No, probably not." But I do get better and nicer clothes for the money that I spend.

Oh and fun. Yes, I have fun too!

------
24th Nov 12 to 28th Nov 13
Fabric and patterns rules for me.
Remember to shop your stash girl!
Remember to keep sewing to your wardrobe plan!

annsew65
star
annsew65
Advanced
Member since 4/9/02
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/24/13 3:50 AM

I think I started sewing to save money - that was over 50 years ago. As time has gone by and I've started getting the more expensive machines and the cost of my sewing studio and an appetite for better fabrics, I no longer can claim that! Of course, I have a lot of fitting challenges due to ever worsening scoliosis and can't even buy things that fit, so I sew to cloth myself in garments that fit a little better than what I could find in RTW. Sewing is something that I can still enjoy because it is done mostly while sitting and that is about all I can do any longer. To cut out my patterns, I have to cut for a while, then sit down and sew on another project in the meantime - then get up and cut out some more. If I have sewing, I'd probably be bored stiff!!!

------
Sewing in Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
Sewing Room Pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/annsew65/MySewingRoom#

annsew65
star
annsew65
Advanced
Member since 4/9/02
Send Message

Date: 6/24/13 3:50 AM

I think I started sewing to save money - that was over 50 years ago. As time has gone by and I've started getting the more expensive machines and the cost of my sewing studio and an appetite for better fabrics, I no longer can claim that! Of course, I have a lot of fitting challenges due to ever worsening scoliosis and can't even buy things that fit, so I sew to cloth myself in garments that fit a little better than what I could find in RTW. Sewing is something that I can still enjoy because it is done mostly while sitting and that is about all I can do any longer. To cut out my patterns, I have to cut for a while, then sit down and sew on another project in the meantime - then get up and cut out some more. If I have sewing, I'd probably be bored stiff!!!

Sorry - posted twice somehow!!!
-- Edited on 6/24/13 3:51 AM --

------
Sewing in Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
Sewing Room Pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/annsew65/MySewingRoom#

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Do you save money sewing?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Class Details

Online Class
Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns
Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns

Class Details

BurdaStyle Magazine 07-2005-110

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
Petite Plus 502 Pattern

Petite Plus 502 Pattern

More Info
SewBaby Prairie Bonnet Pattern

SewBaby Prairie Bonnet Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.