SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Creative Sewing > protective dog gear?? ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
protective dog gear??
my little doxie attacked for 3d time
allorache
allorache  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
OR USA
Member since 12/10/11
Send Message

Date: 6/25/13 3:43 PM

For the 3d time, my leashed doxie was attacked by a big off-leash dog in a park clearly posted all dogs must be leashed. After previous attacks, I am very careful and carry pepper spray. This dog came out of nowhere from behind and I didn't have time to grab my pepper spray. My dog was seriously wounded in the neck. I will continue to be careful, and maybe carry something more than pepper spray (I do have a concealed weapons permit, but I'd be very worried about shooting my own dog if I were to pull out a gun...) So...now I am wondering if I can sew some kind of protective covering for him -- at least to wear around his neck. That seems to be the most likely place a big dog would go for and the most likely threat to his life. Any ideas??? foam? Kevlar?

------
New Ovation!! Now a Babylock girl almost all the way - Ellegante 3, Evolution, and Melody. Plus a Sailrite LSZ-1 for those heavy duty projects

kkkkaty
starstarstar
kkkkaty  Friend of PR
Intermediate
UT USA
Member since 12/7/05
Send Message

In reply to allorache <<

Date: 6/25/13 4:00 PM

wow, that is really terrible! What a quandary! I wish I had a good answer for you, I am sure someone will....

------
Viking Lily 545
Viking Ruby
Bernina Activa 210
Brother 1034d

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/25/13 4:09 PM

kevlar or ballistic nylon, I'm so sorry about your dog
The problem I see it that's it's quite stiff, maybe you could refashion something from Kevlar socks or gloves

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

Judy Kski
star
Judy Kski  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL USA
Member since 10/26/08
Send Message

In reply to allorache <<

Date: 6/25/13 4:21 PM

It sounds like you need to make a Kevlar vest for him. Since Kevlar is bullet proof, it should definitely prevent any puncture wounds from another dog. Cordura is another strong fabric you may be able to use. Just Google either fabric and you'll find all kinds of information and sources.

It sounds like you need to take the owner of the dog that attacked yours to court. There were signs posted that dogs must be leashed so you have every right to persue that avenue. That may be the only thing that wakes up the offending party.

------
Judy

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to allorache <<
thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 6/25/13 4:25 PM

I would not risk it, and I'm pretty sure it won't do any good. The reason an animal will go for another's neck that way, is because they want to grab the animal and shake it back and forth and to actually snap or break the neck of the prey animal. Yours is the prey right there.

Your dog probably would even do just the same thing, if you get playing "tug of war" or even grab the sock games with it or such, and even just get shaking that sock or toy in it's own mouth the same way. It's just rather an instinctive thing when dogs do that. So the big dogs that are doing that, to yours are not even trying to kill your dog by their teeth just going into your dogs neck, instead they are actually trying to just grab it by the neck, and give it a shake in the manner that will snap it's neck instead. Teeth going in there, actually into the skin and into the neck, is only sort of secondary and not even the issue at all. Not to mention they could probably rip it apart by even grabbing other body parts too.

That in no way excuses the big off leash dog that owner should have control of instead, or it's owners lack of training of it or anything like that, but no matter what you could put on your dogs neck, the large dog could still grab it, over that item, and with a few shakes, probably snap it's neck. So there is nothing you can put on your dogs neck to make it not be able to be killed by an animal in that way.

But since it's happened to you 3 times in a row, in the same places and since your dog counts on you to protect it in situations you bring it into, you just cannot go to those places anymore with it. I think most pet owners if that even happened once to their dog, would just decide better to give it up, and not go there anymore. Find someplace else. Yes, you could shoot the big dogs or their owners, just because you are carrying a gun anyways, but that will not solve anything, and if you do that, you will be in jail, and your dog won't even have you anymore to protect it either, and think what will happen to your dog, when you are getting hauled off, it will probably go right to animal control, so obvious not a workable solution at all.

You just have to be the "bigger person" and not put your dog in that situation.

-- Edited on 6/25/13 4:41 PM --

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
TX USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to allorache <<

Date: 6/25/13 4:29 PM

I have seen many dogs attack.. they will go for the neck.. but I have seen them try to tear off a leg.. and even seen one bite clear thru the ear..
I have myself been thinking of buying a tazer type weapon.. low low dosage maybe. I have found that often times there is no way you can convince the attacker to release his /hers hold on the other dog.. was hoping that a tazer might work.
I don't think I could shoot another dog no matter what.. even if I owed a gun which I don't .
-- Edited on 6/25/13 4:31 PM --

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

Date: 6/25/13 4:30 PM

That happened to me once in Forest Park in Portland.
Couple with two huge dogs that were unleashed despite the giant signs warning that leashing was mandatory.
The female pounced on my much smaller, gentle dog. I was hysterical.
I never went back to that park (or any other park) with my dog.
We ripped the owners a new one about it.
Fortunately I have always had my own (fenced) yard so no further incidents.
Sorry this doesn't help your situation but I feel your pain.

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

kkkkaty
starstarstar
kkkkaty  Friend of PR
Intermediate
UT USA
Member since 12/7/05
Send Message

In reply to poorpigling <<

Date: 6/25/13 4:33 PM

Quote: poorpigling
I have seen many dogs attack.. they will go for the neck.. but I have seen them try to tear off a leg.. and even seen one bite clear thru the ear..

I have myself been thinking of buying a tazer type weapon.. low low dosage maybe. I have found that often times there is no way you can convince the attacker to release his /hers hold on the other dog.. was hoping that a tazer might work.

I don't think I could shoot another dog no matter what.. even if I owed a gun which I don't .
-- Edited on 6/25/13 4:31 PM --

hey, that's not a bad idea.... tazer/stun gun?

------
Viking Lily 545
Viking Ruby
Bernina Activa 210
Brother 1034d

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
TX USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to kkkkaty <<

Date: 6/25/13 4:39 PM

Yes,, something like a stun gun.. I have no idea if one can easily get one at a place like Radio Shack or such..
Interestingly enough.. if you have an aggressive dog you can buy shock collars at any pet store or on line.. but if its not your dog that is the attack dog that doesn't do you any good.. And I have read the batteries go out and who would want to rely on a collar that might have dead batteries when you most need it to work.

I am like the other poster.. my dogs NOT allowed to leave their yard.. BTW.. Most states now consider you not as liable legally unless your dog has attacked previously another dog or animal or human..

lelliebunny
star
lelliebunny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/24/12
Send Message

Date: 6/25/13 5:31 PM

i'm not sure that protective clothing would necessarily help. have you contacted the county/city about the dogs being off leash? if you can't get any traction on that, personally, i'd skip the dog park from now on.

------
it doesn't matter what type of sewing you do. you are sewing, and sewing is good.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Creative Sewing >> protective dog gear??

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

New Look 6830

photo
by: wendlesue

Review
Favorite Things Little Lounge Around Pattern

Favorite Things Little Lounge Around Pattern

Buy Now
BRIDAL COUTURE, a CD book by Susan Khalje

BRIDAL COUTURE, a CD book by Susan Khalje

Buy Now
Australian Smocking & Embroidery Magazine 98-2012-Pony Club

photo
by: Saint Nolt...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.