SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Do I need this notion? ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Do I need this notion?
Opposite of the notion buyer's regret thread
tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 6/26/13 12:27 PM

I have been craving a t-square and keep thinking it might not be necessary. I often sewn with gigantic swathes of knit fabric and have to cut as I go. Having a square would help line up the grain again on these slippery knits, wouldn't it?

And where is a good source? I know I can spend big $$$ at a quilter's store and can probably get a decent one at the hardware store or $$$$$$$ at Lee Valley. How about the art supply store? Or am I after the wrong tool entirely?

Any helpful notions about my desire for this notion would be happily accepted.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

squirrellypoo
starstarstarstar
squirrellypoo
Advanced
International UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 3/27/05
Send Message

Date: 6/26/13 12:32 PM

The plastic ones snap easily (ask my husband, who's replaced TWO of mine in the last year after he stepped on them). Spend the extra money for metal. And I use mine all the time for pattern drafting. I've never used it for aligning grain - I just use the edge of the table for that.

------
www.fehrtrade.com

DonnaH
star
DonnaH
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 10/1/03
Send Message

Date: 6/26/13 12:44 PM

I think a lot depends on exactly what t-square you want. How long? What material (plastic, metal, wood)?

You can get a 1ft kids version for $2 (online). And there's an aluminum adjustable 48" for $66 at the other end. Most seem to be about halfway between (~$30). But most of them tend to be 36" (with a few 24"). And some of the Candaian stores sell them for twice as much (?). Hmmm

If you'd rather see one in person, I'd suggest a hobby/art store where they sell framing supplies.

But all that pre-supposes that this is a good idea. I don't work with knits enough to know for sure, but aren't they really easy to stretch out of shape? To the point where "square" on the table isn't really straight across the "grain" of the knit. Isn't this why people do the thread tracing instead? It's never been important enough for me to do either, lol.

nancy2001
starstarstarstar
nancy2001  Friend of PR
Advanced
Alabama USA
Member since 12/3/05
Send Message

In reply to tourist <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/26/13 12:47 PM

I don't think a T-square is needed for sewing. If you own a five inch wide ruler, you can use the corner of that to create a square. I like to use this O'lipfa Lip Edge Ruler. The lip edge locks into the edge of your table/cutting mat, and that helps guarantee a right angle.

------
No sewing project is ever a complete success nor a total failure.

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
online now
Send Message

Date: 6/26/13 12:51 PM

The ruler Nancy shows is great!
I have one too.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

simplystitches
simplystitches
Beginner
Member since 2/12/06
Send Message

Date: 6/26/13 1:27 PM

I have the same ruler that Nancy linked to only mines 36" long. I also have an aluminum T square. I use the 36" lip edge more than the T square.

Debbie

nicegirl
starstarstarstar
nicegirl
Intermediate
District of Columbia USA
Member since 5/10/06
Send Message

Date: 6/26/13 1:39 PM

I bought a T Square for a pattern drafting class and don't use it much. I really only use it when I need a long ruler.

If you'd like one, Wawak/Cleaner's Supply sells large metal ones that are quite nice (along with metal French curves and hip curves) at decent prices with their usual bargain shipping price of $3.83.

Who can tell me where to find a large compass at a reasonable price? The biggest one I could find at Michael's or Office Depot was 6 inches. I want a BIG one for doing ruffles and waists on circle skirts.

------
http://theslapdashsewist.blogspot.com
=================
2007: purchased 115+, sewed 105+
So close to parity, yet so far

Trying again in 2008
Yards purchased: 133
Yards sewn: Somewhere around 95

2009? I give up

crazygrad
star
crazygrad  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 11/11/07
Send Message

In reply to nicegirl <<

Date: 6/26/13 1:46 PM

Have you tried teaching supply stores? I've seen those big ones designed for making large circles on the chalk boards at places that sell classroom supplies.

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 6/26/13 1:46 PM

My dining room table has a curved edge and the floor is the second most usual place I use for cutting the big yardages. I have used odd things like a legal paper pad or a box with nice square edges from time to time, but keep thinking a real tool would be nice. My big aluminum yard stick from the hardware store is so useful. The weight of it helps keep fabric still and acts as a pattern weight, as well. Whatever I get will have to have a hole in one end so I can put it on the wall with my rulers.

Anyone else wondering "should I or shouldn't I?"

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

justgail

justgail
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 1/19/06
Send Message

In reply to nicegirl <<

Date: 6/26/13 1:53 PM

I have a 2 piece set to that slip onto a yardstick to make a huge compass. It's been a while since I got it, but I think it was at Joann or Hancock on the notions wall, or with the quilting notions.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Do I need this notion?

Merchants on PR

So Vintage Patterns

Thank You for Joining!
Deals!

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Class Details

Online Class
Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Class Details

Simplicity 2212

photo
by: Dale C

Review
Christine Jonson Travel Trio Two

Christine Jonson Travel Trio Two

More Info
Victoria Jones Collection Misses' Traditional Muumuu

Victoria Jones Collection Misses' Traditional Muumuu

More Info
brerrabbit.com Go To Signature Dress

photo
by: JustineSew...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.