SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fitting Woes > velvet like 4 way strech fusible interfacing ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
velvet like 4 way strech fusible interfacing
does anyone know what it is called?
PolishPoppy
star
PolishPoppy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 4/11/09
Send Message

Date: 6/26/13 9:10 PM

The inside of the new Victoria secret underwear that is made from nylon is not sewed. They used a stretching reinforcement around the leg and waste that feels a little like velvet and was fused in/on.

Does anyone know what this could be or where to buy it?
Thank you!!! (Trying to recreate the same underwear)

PolishPoppy
star
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 4/11/09
Send Message

Date: 6/28/13 7:12 AM

"bump" hoping someone could really help with a reply

SheBear0320
starstar
SheBear0320  Friend of PR
Advanced
Manitoba Canada
Member since 4/8/08
Send Message

In reply to PolishPoppy <<

Date: 6/28/13 10:21 AM

The only thing I can think of is some sort of plush lingerie elastic which does have a "velvety" side. Just not sure what product it would be if it is fusible and there is no stitching.

I use the plush elastic alot when sewing support into skating, dance and fitness costumes and clients always comment on how soft it feels against their skin.

Hope someone who has seen the underwear you are referring to can give you an answer.

------
Sheila
"sewing very slowly to fill an empty closet"

2014 Stash Busting Sew-Along:
106.625 yards sewn (as of 12/19/14)
145.125 yards purchased (as of 12/19/14)

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/28/13 10:23 AM

Maybe it is fold over elastic and you just cannot see the stitching.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

PolishPoppy
star
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 4/11/09
Send Message

Date: 6/29/13 7:34 AM

The stretchy velvet stuff is inside of underwear (and it the outside is not folded at all)- there really is no stitching. It is driving me a little batty (I am sure I look silly walking around with underwear staring at it). I actually am taking a pair apart to turn it into a pattern... I love the fit (but not the price)

PolishPoppy
star
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 4/11/09
Send Message

In reply to SheBear0320 <<

Date: 6/29/13 7:35 AM

Do you think the plush elastic you use could be fused with ...I think it is called wonder under....or something like that?

Can you let me know what you use is called - I could look at it and see if it is similar. (and thank you so much for tying to help)

SheBear0320
starstar
SheBear0320  Friend of PR
Advanced
Manitoba Canada
Member since 4/8/08
Send Message

Date: 6/29/13 10:15 AM

I've always called it plush lingerie elastic or just lingerie elastic and I'm not sure that it has another name.

Check out BraMakers Supply's selection of elastics for undergarments. Maybe you will see something similar to what is used. You could also call or e-mail Beverly at BraMakers and see if she can help you.

My concern would be that by fusing the elastic you would lose the stretch needed for getting the underwear off and on. I work with stretch fabrics everyday in a variety of applications but I have never even thought of fusing elastic. As I said I would be concerned about suitability and durability in an undergarment application.

Good luck in your quest.

------
Sheila
"sewing very slowly to fill an empty closet"

2014 Stash Busting Sew-Along:
106.625 yards sewn (as of 12/19/14)
145.125 yards purchased (as of 12/19/14)

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

Date: 6/29/13 6:30 PM

I've seen that underware. Have that kind of stuff in some of mine. So I do wear things made that way.

But, those are really not sewing techniques or sewing supplies at all. Too bad though. When they make underware like that, they do have the edges of the synthetic knit cut with lasers instead, so unless you got a whole lazer table set up at home, and software to make it do what you want, things are not going to be working just the same way.

And going along with that, they got molded stuff, and heat welded stuff too. So even though some factory some place has the equipment to do more heat welding, lazer cutting and stuff, does not mean you can go down to Joann's fabric and pick up the supplies or the equipment for it at all.

I think about the closest you are going to be able get just on a pair of panties like that, is to use a sewing pattern that really is only one piece panties with only one seam up the back and you will have to sew at least that one seam. And then instead of having anything laser cut, just use a pair of sissor or maybe a rotary blade. And then instead of having anything elastic wise more heat bonded onto there, maybe you can just get a little bottle of that liquid stuff that is made for more putting on the bottom of some kids footy pajamas and kind of rubbery, so they stick to the floor and so not slip. If you want to run that over your synthetic pantie 4 way stretch edges there and you can get it to stick, then maybe it might grip for a while, onto your skin, a bit in the same way. But as you can see, not really much sewing going on like that at all either. You could try that I guess.

And also why they don't sell those items in stores or on the internet for you, unless you were a factory someplace.

If you try to heat bond anything onto that really low melt temp fabric, I think both the fabric and anything you wish to bond onto there also, is really just going to end up as a glob of melted plastic on the bottom of your iron.

If you really want to try it at home, and just very, very badly,maybe go get something like an elna press, and two separate sheets of teflon press cloth, lay your clear elastic laid onto your lycra fabric, and press it as low as possible and just hope for the best. The best might be if you could get some of that clear elastic to actually melt into the fabric, still be stretchy, and not get stiff or burnt up and have no melt though, strike though on the other side of the fabric, and then still be able to peel that stuff of of a teflon press sheet. I don't think that is going to work though, and probably courting disaster as in melting messes or just not getting it to work.

-- Edited on 6/29/13 6:31 PM --
-- Edited on 6/29/13 6:47 PM --

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 6/29/13 7:28 PM

Here is a manufacturer's description of "Sewfree," a bonded elastic strip that replaces conventionally applied elastics in undergarments.

I suspect your undies have something very much like this, which requires specialized materials and equipment.

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 6/30/13 8:48 PM

Could it be plush elastic? Click here

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fitting Woes >> velvet like 4 way strech fusible interfacing

Merchants on PR

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Colette Patterns 0003

photo
by: Joyatee

Review
Burda 8768

photo
by: Marge99

Review
Bluegingerdoll The Winifred Dress Paper Pattern

Bluegingerdoll The Winifred Dress Paper Pattern

Buy Now
Petite Plus 302 Pattern

Petite Plus 302 Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.