SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > ISO: Good Culottes Pattern ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
ISO: Good Culottes Pattern
demoiselle
demoiselle
Advanced Beginner
NY
Member since 6/21/11
Send Message

Date: 6/26/13 10:42 PM

I just noticed that my vintage culottes pattern (McCall's 2058), which I thought included my size, in fact has only one size in it.

I'm trying to decide whether I want to try this pattern enough to go buy my size. If there is a comparable pattern available that is tried and true, I'd love to know about it. Has anyone got a good culotte pattern to recommend to me?

Pretty please?

------
Yes, I started a blog.
http://demoiselledesigns.wordpress.com/

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to demoiselle <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 6/27/13 1:24 AM

A good culotte pattern?

I think you must be a true optimist, which is a lovely trait. Over many decades, there have been many sewing patterns for culottes, but they never endure. The reason is that very few women look good in them. To verify this, have someone who really loves you photograph you from the rear while you are wearing culotte-style pants.

On the other hand, Argentinian men, and male dancers especially, who have neither hips nor bosoms, look great in pants of this type if they are wearing tall boots.

Male example

Perfectly normal culotte-wearing woman, front view.

Woman viewed from the rear.

-- Edited on 6/27/13 1:59 AM --

ScaryMerry
star
ScaryMerry
Intermediate
NC USA
Member since 9/12/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/27/13 2:29 AM

Megan Nielsen's Tania culottes pattern is pretty great. It's easily lengthened and I've made it up twice now. It cleverly uses inner pleats to disguise the crotch seam, so it actually looks like a circle skirt, rather than culottes.

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

In reply to Elona <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/27/13 2:42 AM

Elona, those horses are really cute, and the guy ain't bad either.

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to marec <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 6/27/13 3:38 AM

That guy is pretty nice. How about some more guys dancing the Malambo in culottes/gauchos? (The girls are wearing skirts)

sugarduck
star
sugarduck
Intermediate
FRANCE
Member since 2/7/10
Send Message

In reply to ScaryMerry <<

Date: 6/27/13 4:39 AM

Quote: ScaryMerry
Megan Nielsen's Tania culottes pattern is pretty great. It's easily lengthened and I've made it up twice now. It cleverly uses inner pleats to disguise the crotch seam, so it actually looks like a circle skirt, rather than culottes.

Thank you for mentioning this pattern; I hadn't noticed it before. I think this might be my perfect warm-weather toddler-chasing uniform!
Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to demoiselle <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/27/13 8:14 AM

KwikSew 1984

They are multi-sized. I've made several of these, and when I wore a pair, a woman wanted to borrow my pattern. If you make them out of a drapey material, like rayon, or a knit, they are divine! I have a pair out of tencel and they are so cool to wear--literally.
-- Edited on 6/27/13 8:15 AM --

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

demoiselle
demoiselle
Advanced Beginner
NY
Member since 6/21/11
Send Message

In reply to Elona <<

Date: 6/27/13 9:27 AM

Quote: Elona
A good culotte pattern?

I think you must be a true optimist, which is a lovely trait. Over many decades, there have been many sewing patterns for culottes, but they never endure. The reason is that very few women look good in them. To verify this, have someone who really loves you photograph you from the rear while you are wearing culotte-style pants.

On the other hand, Argentinian men, and male dancers especially, who have neither hips nor bosoms, look great in pants of this type if they are wearing tall boots.

Male example

Perfectly normal culotte-wearing woman, front view.

Woman viewed from the rear.

-- Edited on 6/27/13 1:59 AM --

Well, I'm also not very experienced. I have had culottes in the past that looked like skirts because of how flow-y they were. They looked good on me. But I do need to remind myself that I was 96 lbs at the time, and now I'm a very normal-for-my-height 124.

(I was always naturally in the bottom 2%tile for my weight and height. It sometimes distorts my understanding of what will fit the body I've had for the last five years as opposed to the first 28.)

I couldn't see anything wrong with those culottes, though. Perhaps because the fabric is dark?
-- Edited on 6/27/13 9:34 AM --

------
Yes, I started a blog.

demoiselle
demoiselle
Advanced Beginner
NY
Member since 6/21/11
Send Message

In reply to ScaryMerry <<

Date: 6/27/13 9:28 AM

Thank you for the suggestion!

------
Yes, I started a blog.

demoiselle
demoiselle
Advanced Beginner
NY
Member since 6/21/11
Send Message

In reply to Miss Fairchild <<

Date: 6/27/13 9:33 AM

Thank you! I've put that pattern on my wish-list. I'll have to look at the lines and figure out if it will suit my figure (I have avoided anything with elasticized waistbands and gathers in the rear so far).

The McCall's pattern has pleats in the front and darts behind, plus a waistband.

Though if no culottes suit, then I guess it is six of one, half dozen of another.

-- Edited on 6/27/13 9:34 AM --

------
Yes, I started a blog.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> ISO: Good Culottes Pattern

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns

Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Jamie Christina Sunny Day Dress and Skirt Pattern (JC308SD)

Jamie Christina Sunny Day Dress and Skirt Pattern (JC308SD)

Buy Now
Islander Sewing Systems Three Pattern Collection Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Three Pattern Collection Pattern

Buy Now
McCall's 5978

photo
by: mollymolly

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.