SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > craftsy fast track fititing ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
craftsy fast track fititing
anyone?
shana707

shana707
Advanced
PA USA
Member since 3/23/05
Send Message

Date: 6/28/13 12:24 PM

Has anyone tried the Fast Track Fitting class on Craftsy? Is it worth taking if you don't have a sewing buddy to take measurements? I'm very interested in fitting issues and have a number of books but always run into the same problem: can't get good measurements on my own. DH has yet to figure out how to use a tape measure!

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TN USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to shana707 <<

Date: 6/28/13 2:02 PM

The name of the class makes it sound easy, but fitting isn't always that simple. Or "fast track." That has been *my* experience.

A fellow ASG member has taken Lynda Maynard's "Sew the Perfect Fit" on Craftsy and she highly recommends it.
she gave our ASG chapter an excellent program presentation showing what she learned from it. I would feel comfortable recommending that class, based on owning a Lynda Maynard book and the ASG presentation I saw.

shana707

shana707
Advanced
PA USA
Member since 3/23/05
Send Message

In reply to Doris W. in TN <<

Date: 6/28/13 3:38 PM

I've also read good things about Lynda Maynard's class. Unfortunately, the problem remains: can I get anything worthwhile out of this without a "buddy" to take my measurements? I have Sarah Veblen's book. The information presented is clear and understandable but I can't really use it without a good set of measurements. Taking them myself doesn't really work. I know this is a very common problem and there's nothing anyone can do about it. I think I just want to vent! Thanks for responding!

sewingsilly
star
sewingsilly
Expert/Couture
FL USA
Member since 1/29/10
Send Message

In reply to shana707 <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 6/29/13 5:55 PM

You don't really need to have a sewing buddy take your measurements. If the information is explained properly, anyone willing to help you with your best interest at heart will do. Check out my pattern fitting series. It's free.
-- Edited on 6/29/13 8:43 PM --

------
strikesmyfancy-2013.blogspot.com

What's Meant for You Won't Pass You By.

shana707

shana707
Advanced
PA USA
Member since 3/23/05
Send Message

In reply to sewingsilly <<

Subject: craftsy fast track fitting Date: 6/30/13 9:11 AM

Okay, by "sewing buddy" I meant anyone who's willing to help me. For me, taking measurements means holding the tape measure myself. No options. I'll check your pattern fitting series. Thanks.

sewingsilly
star
sewingsilly
Expert/Couture
FL USA
Member since 1/29/10
Send Message

In reply to shana707 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/30/13 9:14 AM

It can still be done on your own. The back measurements may not end up being as accurate. Do you have any special fitting issues? If not, just do the best you can with your measurements and jump in!!
-- Edited on 6/30/13 9:20 AM --

------

AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
IA USA
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/30/13 11:43 AM

Lynda Maynard has you select your pattern size using your high bust measurement. You sew up your muslin and then alter the muslin. The only measurement you need for her class is high bust. No husband needed to take that measurement.

You can use this method by yourself, but it is very slow going. Lots of trying the muslin on then taking it off to make the adjustments.
Isn't that true of any method we use to alter patterns?

Lynda's method really made sense to me. Very similar to Kenneth King and Sarah Veblen's method. Pinching the area that needs to be made smaller and slashing and adding fabric to the areas that need to be bigger.

I learned a lot from the Maynard class but the most important thing for me was how the alteration on the muslin are translated to the pattern. Watching her to that was really amazing.

------
Ada

sewingsilly
star
sewingsilly
Expert/Couture
FL USA
Member since 1/29/10
Send Message

In reply to AdaH <<

Date: 6/30/13 1:58 PM

Hi Ada H. Not all methods are slow going. If you're able to take the time to have your measurements taken properly, you have more to work with than just a high bust measurement. I'm not sure how that works so I won't give my opinion other than to say I don't really understand that. I will agree that any method of fitting will offer something of value especially if you're starting at square 1 and have no one to help you with measurements.

------

sewme47
star
sewme47
Intermediate
IL USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

In reply to sewingsilly <<

Date: 6/30/13 3:16 PM

Sewingsilly, I've really been enjoying (and learning a lot from) your special fitting series! Thanks so much for sharing it. I haven't had a chance to try it out, as I'm recuperating from multiple fractures after a motorcycle accident, but I am eager to give your method a whirl!

I'm still interested to know what the Fast Track Fitting Craftsy class is all about. Has anyone actually tried it?

------
A balanced diet is a cupcake in each hand.

sewingsilly
star
sewingsilly
Expert/Couture
FL USA
Member since 1/29/10
Send Message

In reply to sewme47 <<

Date: 6/30/13 3:25 PM

Thanks sewme47. Not trying to hijack this thread.

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> craftsy fast track fititing

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 04-2008-116

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
Christine Jonson BaseWear One - Leggings, Top and Yoga Bodysuit

Christine Jonson BaseWear One - Leggings, Top and Yoga Bodysuit

Buy Now
PerfectFuse Light Black

PerfectFuse Light Black

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.