SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Fitting Woes > "Proofread" my muslin please? ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
"Proofread" my muslin please?
Want to make sure I don't regret this
MissParayim
star
MissParayim
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/22/12
Send Message

Date: 6/28/13 6:20 PM

I *think* I am done with my cambie muslin... Would you mind double checking me just so I can be 100% sure?
I am making this out of my favorite fabric EVER, and it would take a miracle to get more, so I don't want to regret it.
It feels great, and I think it looks good enough... Maybe the back isn't completely perfect, but if you saw it in action, would you think it was that bad?
I'm just so nervous... Any suggestions?
Untitled

-- Edited on 6/28/13 6:25 PM --
-- Edited on 6/28/13 6:26 PM --

------
www.missparayim.com

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

In reply to MissParayim <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/28/13 6:31 PM

Looks pretty darn good to me Maybe the vertical darts could be lowered just a bit. I wouldn't be too concerned about the back. If you take out too many of the "wrinkles" you won't have moving room. Have you attached the skirt portion to the bodice yet? That will also affect the way it fits.

MissParayim
star
MissParayim
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/22/12
Send Message

In reply to JTink <<

Date: 6/28/13 6:36 PM

No- I haven't really been worried about the skirt fit, so I didn't muslin it. It's an A- line skirt with plenty of hip room, so I figured if I true up the waist to the bodice, I should be ok...

------
www.missparayim.com

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 6/28/13 9:09 PM

I'd move the front vertical dart tips down about 1/2" or so. They're right at your bust point and they shouldn't be.

Also, do you see where it is binding at your waist? Id let out that seam just a tad bit more.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

MrsCharisma
starstarstarstar
MrsCharisma  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/1/13
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Subject: Proofread my muslin please? Date: 6/28/13 11:07 PM

I agree in the darts...and the reasoning behind attaching the skirt is that the weight of the skirt will affect bodice fit. Especially since its a skirt with a little fullness.

With that said -- it looks great! I enjoy seeing your makes and can't wait for this one!

------
Nakisha
www.sewcraftychemist.blogspot.com
Singer Talent 3321 | Brother 1034D

My Big 4 Sizing: Medium | Tops 14/16 | Pants 18 | Skirts 16/18.

My Measurements: 36 HB | 38.5 FB | 34 W | 44 Hip

MissParayim
star
MissParayim
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/22/12
Send Message

In reply to MrsCharisma <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/29/13 8:09 AM

Thank you! I was thinking the same thing about the darts, and I'm going to let out the waist just a bit more. Luckily, I think I can do both of these changes without cutting a whole new bodice.
I'm making this from silk, lining with cotton, and cutting the skirt to just above knee length, so I think it'll be fairly light weight.
When I pull on the bodice a bit, if anything it looks better, so I am not too concerned with skirt weight throwing it off in a bad way. I might line the skirt with bemberg instead, though... I'd like the cotton to give the silk a little more body, but bemberg is more light weight, so less likely to compromise bodice fit. I've got plenty of both the cotton and bemberg, so maybe I will cut a skirt of each and try each option before I sew- essentially making a "muslin" with the real fabric.

------
www.missparayim.com

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/29/13 8:35 AM

You are very close and have done a lovely job here.

Here's a small refinement on your bodice. There's another reason to muslin the skirt- you can see precisely where the waist is hitting you and if you like it. Also, it is a major horizontal line, so you'll see if the waist is actually level on you, or has dips and/or high points. You can check the waist horizontal balance by tying a ribbon around your waist. Have a look at the seam allowance hanging below- is it even and enough or too much? You may have a tad too much length in the back and the horizontal ripples are extra length? Hard to know now if easing the slight waist snugness will disappear that or if there's a smidgen extra back length too.

This is going to be wonderful on you and please post when you finish.

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

MissParayim
star
MissParayim
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/22/12
Send Message

In reply to wendyrb <<

Date: 6/29/13 9:35 AM

That's a good point, wendyrb! I know my raw ends aren't trued up from all the tweaks I've done so far, and this bodice actually has a waistband attachment, so I might have to shorten this some. I will muslin a waistband, and cut out my cotton skirt lining option tonight!
This has been really helpful, and I feel better about being on the right track. Thanks, everyone!

------
www.missparayim.com

sewingsilly
star
sewingsilly
Expert/Couture
Florida USA
Member since 1/29/10
Send Message

Date: 6/30/13 2:14 PM

Looks very good. I agree with Miss Fairchild about the bust darts being too close to the apex and I also agree with wendyrb that this looks a little too long waisted as is. It's important to see where the skirt will attach and that may resolve your small issues at the waist line.

On further inspection, I think I would add a little bit at the waist line. When sewing the skirt onto a bodice it will take in just a bit at the waist and it may end up a little to snug.
-- Edited on 6/30/13 2:20 PM --
-- Edited on 6/30/13 3:28 PM --

------
strikesmyfancy-2013.blogspot.com

What's Meant for You Won't Pass You By.

carry
carry
Member since 10/26/07
Send Message

Subject: Proofread my muslin please? Date: 6/30/13 3:11 PM

I think you are going to end up with a beautiful dress,and you are learning so much about fitting yourself with the muslin.I think the front is good except agree the darts should be a lower.The wrinkles in the back are from the fabric catching on the lower back area-rib cage bottom to the waist.Just a little more width through that area will balance the upper and lower wearing ease.I think the waist in back is a bit longer than you need so it is catching on the upper hip.I'd do the width adjust. first and see where that puts the back waist. carry

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fitting Woes >> "Proofread" my muslin please?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 10-2012-122

photo
by: pdiddly

Review
SewBaby Casserole Carrier Pattern

SewBaby Casserole Carrier Pattern

Buy Now
Petite Plus 104 Pattern

Petite Plus 104 Pattern

Buy Now
McCall's 5705

photo
by: GoodbyeVal...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.