SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fitting Woes > Choosing the correct size pants pattern ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Choosing the correct size pants pattern
Sew Confused
star
Sew Confused
Intermediate
Member since 7/13/07
Send Message

Date: 6/30/13 2:48 PM

If your waist and your hip indicate different measurements, which do you choose by...waist or hips?

------
Paula

"In Seattle you haven't had enough coffee until you can thread a sewing machine while it's running."
- Jeff Bezos, Amazon.com founder

Visit my blog at www.sewconfused.blogspot.com

LauraTS
star
LauraTS  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
CA USA
Member since 7/10/06
Send Message

Date: 6/30/13 3:13 PM

Usually the experts say hip, but I would choose by whichever needs the biggest size. For most of us that's hip but for some it could be waist.

------
I've moved! Visit my new sewing blog at http://chiralcraft.wordpress.com

Do you sew from KnipMode? Join us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knipmode_english/

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Sew Confused <<

Date: 6/30/13 3:21 PM

If you are working with a Burda pattern (about the best, most anatomically correct crotch curve in the business), you would trace off the proper size line for your hips, using a dressmaker's curve--or a good eye--to gradually blend with the proper size line for your waist.

The option of this kind of choice is the excellent thing about really multisized patterns like Burda, because hardly anyone is just one size. Most of us have one size for the bust, another for the waist, and yet another for the hips.

aprilla
aprilla
Beginner
Member since 6/2/12
Send Message

Date: 6/30/13 4:03 PM

It's hard to know because the hips are 'just the hips' while the waist involves waistband or facing pieces too ... or something that's going to have to match up.
If the pattern matches the hips (if they are the largest for sizing) then you need to figure out what to do for those additional pieces when the waist isn't falling in line with the pattern.

I ended up opting for the multi-sized pattern, as my waist needs a bigger size than my hips/thighs and I can cut a waistband/facing in the larger size.

It's like a giant jigsaw :(

Sew Confused
star
Sew Confused
Intermediate
Member since 7/13/07
Send Message

Date: 6/30/13 4:09 PM

My gut is telling me to go with my waist because I'm afraid of altering the waistband and the back yoke.

------
Paula

"In Seattle you haven't had enough coffee until you can thread a sewing machine while it's running."

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/30/13 4:15 PM

The hip measurement is the one you go with, because pattern makers use the thigh measurement based on the hip size; also the crotch curve might be tricky. Waist changes are easier than crotch and thigh adjustments. That being said, if you have an overly large waist and very skinny legs, you could go with the waist size.

It's like when I'd buy RTW pants (waaaay back when). If I bought them for my hip and thigh size, the waist would be too big; and I couldn't even look at ones for my waist size, because I couldn't get them on.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

Sew Confused
star
Sew Confused
Intermediate
Member since 7/13/07
Send Message

Date: 6/30/13 4:34 PM

So you think it will be easier to alter the waistband even if it's curved? That is freaking me out.

------
Paula

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

Date: 6/30/13 5:50 PM

If you have a copy of Pants for Real People, there is an illustration on page 126 that shows how to alter a contour waist band.

Sew Confused
star
Sew Confused
Intermediate
Member since 7/13/07
Send Message

Date: 6/30/13 6:12 PM

I don't have that book. I'm hoping to not have to buy a new book in order to make pants. Unless I find that I'm particularly hard to fit.

------
Paula

Sewliz
star
Sewliz  Friend of PR
CO USA
Member since 6/22/04
Send Message

Date: 6/30/13 6:16 PM

Partly it depends on your personal shape distribution of the circumference. The pattern is drafted for standard proportions so if you are flatter and wider, like a hip flask, or rounder all around, like a coke bottle, than the standard figure you should take that into consideration.

I am of the hip flask variety where I have more width relative to depth in the hip area so I choose a pants pattern size that is circumference measurement-wise smaller than what I "should" choose. Then I add at the side seams to make up the difference. That way the crotch fits better. If I use the "right" size the crotch is way to baggy and big for me.

------
Liz

thefittinglife.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fitting Woes >> Choosing the correct size pants pattern

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Butterick 5600

photo
by: princessju...

Review
Favorite Things Nightie Night Pattern

Favorite Things Nightie Night Pattern

Buy Now
Perfect Pouches

Perfect Pouches

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.