SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fashion Styles and Trends > Human Interest Article on Sewing? ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Human Interest Article on Sewing?
Taking an online class and need some ideas ...
PolishPoppy
star
PolishPoppy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 4/11/09
Send Message

Date: 7/1/13 8:47 PM

Ladies - do you have any ideas on a human interest article on sewing? I am taking an online class to learn how to "freelance" . However - I have to say I don't think I am going to be cut out for it because I might be too much of an introvert. I have to write approx. 1200 words and I cannot interview myself... (i.e. ideas and or quotes I could use in the write up are welcome).

I was thinking about writing something along the lines of there being a whole era where sewing wasn't cool (or even OK) I didn't learn how to sew until my 30s with the pregnancy of my third baby - mostly because I was so darn huge the only thing I could so is sit - so I took a class at G-street fabrics... I feel like I missed out on a lot (but don't worry I am catching up with the fabric and machine stash hidden around the house).... BUT I don't know if something like that WOULD actually be an interesting type topic...

The first slide the teacher has says this:
Subject: one person or group and what they’ve accomplished/learned/changed
Storytelling: conflict, tension, surprise, fascination (can be “as told to”)
Tone: humorous or heavy

Sharon48
star
Sharon48  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/17/12
Send Message

Date: 7/2/13 1:23 AM

When was it not O.K. to sew? Weird!

------
Sewing is a passion, so relaxing and calming!

Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Babylock Evolution
Babylock Melody
Viking 190
BLCS-2 (I know, I know - but had
to have it!!)
Babylock Embellisher
Singer 401A

carry
carry
Member since 10/26/07
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/2/13 3:45 AM

There is a web site called The Mexican Dress that sells a downloadable instruction booklet for making an easy embroidered authentic Mexican dress. Some of the customers have sent back pictures and stories. A librarian in Texas asked permission to teach a class using the pattern.The women who came to the class were of Mexican descent but did not know how to make this beautiful traditional garment.The designer was able I think to give back to them a piece of their heritage that had been lost.You can read about it on themexicandress.com

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/2/13 5:01 AM

Contact an ASG Chapter if one is close by. I am the Editor for our Sarasota Chapter. Just published 4 articles.
One on sewing with Community Residents and a Little Dresses for Africa project. Also working with local churches to sew for areas homeless.
One teaching 4-H Sewing Camp-20 girls enrolled in 4 different levels- they made pillowcases for our local hospital's pediatric oncology unit.
One making medical procedure dolls for All Childrens Hospital.
Another on a local store donating fabric and ASG members donating time for KiDZQuilts.
These are just the more recent. ASG does so much community service that you would easily find a number of folks willing to be interviewed.
If no nearby Chapter contact them by phone. PM me if you need a contact for where you live and can't find one. Good luck! I am always struggling to find reporters for our Chapter Newsletter. Perhaps you could offer to share a smaller version that the Chapter could publish from your interview.
Asg.org

-- Edited on 7/2/13 5:07 AM --

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

VivianZ
star
VivianZ  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Louisiana USA
Member since 12/8/04
Send Message

In reply to carry <<

Date: 7/2/13 8:01 AM

Carry,
Thanks for the great link.

------
height 5'2" bust 36, waist 31, hip 39.
I have way too many yards to count, and I will never use them up, but I will die trying!

PolishPoppy
star
PolishPoppy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 4/11/09
Send Message

In reply to SandiMacD <<

Date: 7/2/13 8:02 AM

Sandi and Carry - both are such helpful ideas thank you!

(And yes Sandi - that would be great - I'll PM whether or not I hear from someone from the local ASG)

ASiverson
star
ASiverson  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New York USA
Member since 5/31/11
Send Message

Date: 7/2/13 8:49 AM

For "inspiration" you may also want to read "Dressed to Kill" available on amazon.com. At least that is where I purchased my copy. It is a non-fiction book, and I believe the title is correct but cannot remember the name of the author, but she was female! Good luck with your article.

------
Annette

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 7/2/13 11:07 AM

You know yourself better than anyone else, so why not go 3rd person and use "that person" as the subject.

Research has already been done.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

grey ann
star
grey ann  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New York USA
Member since 4/25/09
Send Message

Date: 7/2/13 12:55 PM

I don't have a link, but you can try google. In Rensselaer NY, there is a program that works with recent immigrant women from Guyana, teaching them sewing and English at the same time; thus giving them a skill they can use to find work. Just a thought....

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/2/13 2:26 PM

Can't think of any decade were sewing was "uncool or shunned" at all, but a very non technical way to get a story for your assignment if you don't have one of your own and don't want to more "steal one off the internet" someplace, would just be to go to any large Joann or Hancock brick and mortar kind of fabric store, and maybe "park yourself" at the sit down in chairs pattern books tables and just talk to some people there, sitting next to you and just strike up a conversation. Because if you need to "kind of interview" someone to get their story, you got to at least be where some of those people might be, and at least having them sitting down in a fabric store, might be a good place to catch some of them?

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fashion Styles and Trends >> Human Interest Article on Sewing?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Sewing Workshop San Francisco Coat Pattern

Sewing Workshop San Francisco Coat Pattern

Buy Now
Favorite Things Lounge Around Pattern

Favorite Things Lounge Around Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.