SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Would linen work for this trouser pattern? ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Would linen work for this trouser pattern?
he pattern says use 'softly draping trouser fabric'
aprilla
aprilla
Beginner
Member since 6/2/12
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/2/13 10:24 AM

I wish I could post a photo, must get around to figuring that... but I think I did a fairly good job sewing the Burda Marlene trousers (made in poly jersey according to the fabric tag) and they feel good on. However the colour wants sunshine, and an umbrella in a frosty drink, but it's raining here. So I'm thinking of using some black linen I have to make the trouser again but am unsure if that would be suitable??? Since I've washed the linen several times and ironed it, it feels quite nice... too nice not to ask for fabric advice. I have very little experience with fabrics.

I spent ages looking at linen trousers in on-line shops and google but have not yet seen any with waist facings and back seam invisible zips like my pattern, all seem to have either a stretch waist or a waistband.

Here is a picture of the pants I'm wondering if linen would suit

I know it's hard to say (or at least I guess it must be?!) but would appreciate any thoughts, before I make a bad mistake. I like the fabric and could keep it until I can make something else? But I'm happy to chance it if anyone thinks the linen would work ok.

EleanorSews
star
EleanorSews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 7/26/07
Board Moderator
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 7/2/13 10:35 AM

Linen would be ideal for those pants. I'm continuing to wear an ancient pair of black linen pants that are a bit on the big side because they are perfect summer pants. One of these days I will conquer fitting a pants pattern for today's body and then can replace them.

Best wishes. Enjoy!

------
"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

"Attitude is the difference between an adventure and an ordeal." unknown

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 7/2/13 10:47 AM

It's just fabric. It will work well, or not. It is part of the learning experience.

You do not need anyone's permission to make whatever with whatever.

Break a rule now an then.....it's liberating!

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to aprilla <<
thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 7/2/13 1:44 PM

Linen is jut a fiber of fabric, not a weave or telling you how thick or thin or stiff, or fluid it is at all. But look how soft and drape-able (and the ripples and folds in the fabric there) the fabric is in the Photo of those pants, in particular where she has her leg bent. If you can get your linen fiber fabric, to do that on your leg, when just draped over your leg, before even cutting anything out, then it's going to do the same as that photo if made into same pants, if not, then won't be just the same.

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 7/2/13 1:57 PM

Echoing what everyone else has said, and would like to add something. I recently discovered that linen can be either stiff or drapey. And like beauturbo's suggestion to drape it over your knee, I can suggest you give it a drape test. That is, grab a section of the fabric close to one cut end and let it drape by holding it up. If the bottom edge of the fabric (opposite your hand) falls in a large "cone", it's going to be stiff. If it falls in a small cone, then it will be drapey. This replicates draping it over your leg and allowing you to see it firsthand at eye level.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

Date: 7/2/13 3:32 PM

I agree about drape. Too heavy a linen might change the look of those pants.

Maybe even a linen blend would be nice (cotton-linen, linen-rayon, etc.).

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

Image: rosebush in the snow

aprilla
aprilla
Beginner
Member since 6/2/12
Send Message

Date: 7/2/13 4:09 PM

@ EleanorSews
Thanks, I love linen pants for summer too, I don't have any at the moment. I did try some on in shops last Spring but just couldn't get anything to fit and made the mistake of buying a pair that are too short, never been a capri wearer but might have a go with them so that's on a list of things to try :)

@ PattiAnnJ
LOL I know, I know! But this is 'the one', the first attempt at a wearable outside the house pants! So, I got nervous. I thought it best that I ask someone who might have had the experience already. The forum is a great resource and so helpful, and I need lots of help :)
But then, I dunno .... it's 'just fabric' only until the project gets set in this brain... then it's much more than that, it's nearly 'something' LOL

@ beauturbo, Miss Fairchild & Vintage Joan
That is what I will do, it makes sense! Even when I was asking my question I was thinking 'how can I describe the linen' - I'll try that drape test described and while I'm not trying to mimic exactly the drape in the pants, but the fit I got, that will let me see how it might be.
Fantastic, I feel a bit dumb not to have even considered doing that but so delighted I asked my question, now I can apply this again when I am puzzled.

You guys are great, thanks!

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to aprilla <<

Date: 7/2/13 4:39 PM

That's what we're here for.....

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

goodworks1
star
goodworks1  Friend of PR
Advanced
Illinois USA
Member since 7/19/03
Send Message

Date: 7/2/13 5:54 PM

I have several pairs of Eileen Fisher linen pants that have waist facings and zippers. But I think I'd use a regular zipper rather than an invisible one, unless the pants will be quite loose and with very little stress on the zipper when you are sitting.

------
blog: goodworks1.wordpress.com

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

Date: 7/2/13 8:25 PM

I appreciate your question and the responses saying to test the drape.

I think half of the battle with sewing is choosing an appropriate fabric for the project. I think it's so smart of you to anticipate this and get some advice before you start cutting.

It's taken me years and years to get to the point where you are. I would have never thought of draping the fabric over my knee to check how it reacts.

I hope your pants turn out well!! thanks for starting a great thread!

------
Mary

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Would linen work for this trouser pattern?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

New Look 6148

photo
by: prttynpnk

Review
You Sew Girl Beret Pattern

You Sew Girl Beret Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Myla Tank Pattern

Sew Liberated Myla Tank Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.