SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Laundry detergent ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Laundry detergent
JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

Date: 7/2/13 1:47 PM

Has anyone ever used Forever New Fabric Care? It was recommended on a "bra" site I was checking out a few days ago. Since Woolite is a definite "NO" for bras these days, I was wondering if anyone has special detergents for their nice bras. I have always just put mine in a lingerie bag and toss them in with what ever laundry detergent I have on hand(except Woolite).

SheBear0320
star
SheBear0320  Friend of PR
Advanced
MB
Member since 4/8/08
Send Message

In reply to JTink <<

Date: 7/2/13 1:50 PM

What's the problem with Woolite? Don't think I've heard about this.

------
Sheila
"sewing very slowly to fill an empty closet"

2014 Stash Busting Sew-Along:
53.875 yards sewn (as of 07/28/14)
79.875 yards purchased (as of 07/28/14)

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

Date: 7/2/13 2:34 PM

Heard this years ago: not to use Woolite with fine articles of clothing. Maybe they changed the formula and it became too harsh.

------
That's Gl = for Gloria, not G. I.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 7/2/13 2:42 PM

I think someone forgot to tell the makers of Woolite. I also toss my bras into the washer via a lingerie bag. And I use Tide, Downy and cold water.

My washer does not have an agitator.

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

skae
star
skae  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/23/07
Send Message

In reply to JTink <<

Date: 7/2/13 2:47 PM

Use baby laundry detergent . I use cheep
Shampoo just put in 1/8 cup and it work great.

------
Ecclesiastes 11:7,8 Nothing on earth is more beautiful than the morning sun. Even if you live to a ripe old age, you should try to enjoy each day, because darkness will come and will last a long time. (CEV)

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

In reply to SheBear0320 <<

Date: 7/2/13 4:05 PM

SheBear, I have been told, over the last 10 years or so, that Woolite will break down the elastic. There are some who still swear by Woolite and use nothing else for their bras. I've never cared for the smell of Woolite , so I don't use it very often.

My other bras have lasted for so many years, by using the bag and cold water selection on my machine. I'm wondering if I should make a change, now that I have some new bras.

SheBear0320
star
SheBear0320  Friend of PR
Advanced
MB
Member since 4/8/08
Send Message

In reply to JTink <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/2/13 4:30 PM

The reason I ask is that DH was told to use Woolite for his very specialized and expensive cycling clothes. He has been using it for at least the last 5 years and the only time he's had to get rid of his cycling clothes is when they got too big (after his significant weight loss). Now that he's at goal weight and maintaining he wants his stuff to last -- the stuff he likes and is most comfortable in does not come cheap. He also researched the best sunscreen and bug repellant so that it won't damage the cycling gear.

He does almost all the laundry around here -- everything gets washed and rinsed in cold with Woolite and anything delicate (like bras, lacey tops or his mesh base layers) gets washed in the mesh laundry bags. Anything with spandex in it gets hung to dry. Hasn't affected my bras yet.

From what I have learned since I started sewing custom athletic performance apparel is that the big culprits in destroying elastic and spandex materials are heat and fabric softeners. The other thing to avoid is using a stain remover like Shout or Spray N Wash and letting the elastic or spandex soak in the stain remover. Okay to use it but just spray and then wash.

Have definitely seen first hand damage done by heat, fabric softeners and stain removers. Will have to keep my eyes on the "elastics" if I ever have a bra long enough for it to wear out (size has been changing a lot over the last few years so I'm in a new size every 6 months or so).

Interested in hearing others experiences.

------
Sheila
"sewing very slowly to fill an empty closet"

2014 Stash Busting Sew-Along:
53.875 yards sewn (as of 07/28/14)
79.875 yards purchased (as of 07/28/14)

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

In reply to SheBear0320 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/2/13 6:34 PM

I've done some reading up on this subject and it seems to sway more toward using Woolite without worry I'm glad you mentioned the Fabric Softeners.

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

In reply to JTink <<

Date: 7/2/13 8:04 PM

Thank you, JTink, for doing the work for me. I still use Woolite . I handwash my delicates which seems to make them last longer, as the clothes washer seems to brutalize them.

------
That's Gl = for Gloria, not G. I.

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TN USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 7/2/13 8:28 PM

As for my undergarments, the get washed in 'whatever' is the going brand I use, in nothing hotter than 80F and never see a dryer. I've got some that have to be going on ten years old. Really. It is appalling, but they're hanging in there like Timex and energizer bunny rabbits. I do not use fabric softeners because I am allergic to them all. And they are line dried.

I use the Woolite Extra Dark Care on dark winter clothing and items with wool, because it has no enzymes and is also 'he' friendly.

I have not used regular Woolite in ages. Just now, I found an MSDS from 2009 and looks like it has a fairly neutral pH level, so I don't know why people don't like it.
-- Edited on 7/2/13 8:28 PM --
-- Edited on 7/2/13 8:29 PM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Laundry detergent

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

SewBaby Fleece-Easy Hats Pattern

SewBaby Fleece-Easy Hats Pattern

Buy Now
You Sew Girl SEWING CLASS 1 - Shopping Bag Pattern

You Sew Girl SEWING CLASS 1 - Shopping Bag Pattern

Buy Now
New Look 6071

photo
by: fabricepip...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.