Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Machine Embroidery > Embird vs Brother PE Design Next...Brother worth the $$$? ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Embird vs Brother PE Design Next...Brother worth the $$$?
Lizajane1973
Lizajane1973  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
FL USA
Member since 1/19/07
Login to reply to this post

Date: 7/3/13 8:59 PM

OK... I know I've asked (irritated??) a few of you in the past with my embroidery related questions, but I have another.
I'm fixing to go try out a Brother PE780D at a dealer. I really want to try out the PE770, but they do not have one to try and I understand that the PE780D is virtually the same machine (just with the Disney designs, which I can take or leave). If I am mistaken at all about the difference in the machines, if there is more to it than just the designs, PLEASE let me know!
I want to basically be able to embroider my own designs that I have saved as Adobe Illustrator files. They are basically logos for my design company. I know that this would require me digitizing the design through digitizing software. I know that I can do this with Embird, but Brother has their digitizing software too.
Now, what I want to know is, is the Brother software, particularly the PE Design Next software with the digitizing, actually WORTH the crazy pricetag ($899!!??? That's more than the machine I'm considering!!), or if I can do just as good of a job with Embird, or another digitizing software? I don't want the dealer to try to talk me into the Brother software when I can do the same thing with another, more reasonably priced program.
Any thoughts? Thanks all!

sewbluetiful
star
sewbluetiful
Intermediate
MO USA
Member since 2/8/07

Date: 7/4/13 8:55 AM

I would to here and ask, there are a LOT of ladies that embroider on this forum.. just go to the "embroidery" thread and ask..

sewforum

------
Mickie

http://sew-something.blogspot.com/

lkmbpk
lkmbpk
Intermediate
FL USA
Member since 12/28/09

In reply to Lizajane1973 <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/4/13 9:49 AM

Before you buy any software, check around for free trials of software and give them a try. If your designs aren't too complex, SewArt is easy to use and you can download a free 30 day trial here. Here is a youtube video demonstration of the program.

------
Doo-doo-DOO-doo, Doo-doo-DOO-doo......
You're traveling through another dimension -- a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's a signpost up ahead: your next stop: the Internet!

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL USA
Member since 2/8/09
online now

Date: 7/4/13 11:16 AM

I would not buy proprietary dealer software. I like knowing that if I decide to change brands of machines or add another brand of embroidery machine in the years ahead I am not limited to that dealer brand.
The non dealer software continues to get updates and upgrades. Dealer specific software has been phased out, replaced or unsupported for many models and across computer platforms and operating systems. Something to consider.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09

In reply to Lizajane1973 <<

Date: 7/4/13 11:23 AM

My guess is neither can direct import an Adobe Illustrator file. So just like any software, you wish to share files with, with any other, and before buying it, that probably would be the very first thing you would want to find out. And even if you could import an Adobe Illustrator file, (to just use as a background template to manual digitize over it, or attempt to autodigitize) what age and version of the Adobe Illustrator file, would that have to be? Since that would be really important too.

My guess is very few people that use embird or the Brother software, actually even have or use Adobe Illustrator with it, in any way at all either. If you just want to make something in Adobe Illustrator, then flatten it and turn it into a bit map raster file, or just a .wmf vector file in some ways, or possibly an .eps file, then maybe you could use it like that.

I think most people whom use embird at least, feel that anything more is too much to spend for a digitizing program and in turn probably also feel Adobe Illustrator costs too much for them to want to use too, so they probably don't even want to buy and do the whole big learning curve on the Illustrator either.

Also know that an Illustrator file as a logo, is not going to work out digitized for embroidery as is, with any of those words or letters in the Illustrator file, you would have to use the keyboard lettering on a path, and kerning and such in the digitizing program instead.

So you really could not take some Illustrator file of a logo, that was made for a website or company letter head in print (particular with words and letters in it) and turn it easy into an embroidery file instead. You really would have to re-do a whole lot of it, just special and on purpose to make an embroidery kind of file instead even. So I think your expectations might be kind of unrealistic there too.

Maybe try this one, as it sounds made more for just what you want to do? http://www.embroideryi2.com/adobe/index.htm

-- Edited on 7/4/13 11:30 AM --

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06

Date: 7/4/13 1:45 PM

Don't mention software to the dealer as the subject may not come up. If it does ask them for a demo....that may be the end of the conversation as many do not know how to use the software.....another issue is some dealers/ staff do not know Brother embroidery only machines use 90wt bobbin thread.

Last resort, say you already have Embird.

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Mrs.Moos
star
Mrs.Moos  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 11/5/02

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 7/4/13 3:47 PM

We just had a Floriani event at the store I work at. The educator said-in a "round about" way what I have been thinking for the last 11 years-DIGITIZING IS NOT THAT EASY! I have PE Design Next and Embird (EDITOR only).
Can you auto-digitize in PE Design Next? Yes! Is it good quality? rarely unless it is just a simple desing with very clean graphics going in. I believe the same is true for all softwares.

------
Brother ULT 2002D, Janome 6500P, Babylock Eclipse SX, Juki MO654DE, Janome Coverpro 1000CPX, Singer 15-91

aslinnd

aslinnd
Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 5/28/07

Date: 7/4/13 3:49 PM

I used pe design next and I"ve used the pfaff. If you use illustrator, then look at the Corel drawings range of digitizing software and also look at stitch era universal which I think has a free version to try. You will find them more familiar to you and the tools will make more sense.

5d, pe design and other software made by sewing machine manufacturers come at digitizing from the - I guess stitch file perspective- not the graphic perspective. The Corel product caught my eye ages ago but I already made the investment in other software.

No, I don't think any of the high end software can justify the cost especially to the home or hobby embroiderer but they charge what the market will bear. So what I think is more important is the training. I did classes on my 4d and a lot stuck with me. If I edit existing design I will use 5d emb extra first cause its quick for me. With pe next I find I have had to rely on yahoo groups and trial and error - while I think it's easier to digitize in pe design, I never feel I've really mastered it. So whatever you buy do the classes do the training it is the best way to get value for money out of over priced products.

Lizajane1973
Advanced Beginner
FL USA
Member since 1/19/07

In reply to sewbluetiful <<

Date: 7/5/13 3:02 PM

Thanks!I'll try there, too.

Lizajane1973
Advanced Beginner
FL USA
Member since 1/19/07

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 7/5/13 3:10 PM

Thanks for the advice, everyone!
I know that digitizing isn't easy, but I'm prepared for that. Trust me, learning Illustrator and Photoshop wasn't easy, either! But, I had to do it for school, so I'm up to the challenge. I'm capable of saving my files in many different formats, so I don't expect to just be able to put the illustrator file in the machine and off I go! I know that there is more to it than that, but I don't want to let that sway me from learning digitizing.
My designs aren't that detailed, really; at least, the ones I currently have. They are basically text-based logos for my design line. I may just ask the dealer if they have any opinions about digitizing software and get what they have to say.
I mainly was just wondering if the quality of the embroidery comes out better with the Brother Software on a Brother machine, or if it comes out just as good with Embird. I'm sure a lot of it depends on the quality of the design itself, but that really was my main concern.
Thanks again.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> Embird vs Brother PE Design Next...Brother worth the $$$?

Merchants on PR
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
Web site
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!
Elliott Berman Textiles
Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!
Sewn Square One
Patterns for Your Style.
Web site

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Altering Jackets
Fee: $19.99
(Regular $59.00)
Altering Jackets

Online Sewing Classes
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Burda 8294
photo
Review by Jane S on 10/27/10
Read Review

TROUSER DRAFT - A CD book by Kenneth King
TROUSER DRAFT - A CD book by Kenneth King

Details
Price: $24.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

SewBaby Snap Happy Diaper Covers Pattern
SewBaby Snap Happy Diaper Covers Pattern

Details
Price: $8.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Bluegingerdoll The Peggy Skirt Digital Pattern
Bluegingerdoll The Peggy Skirt Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $12.50
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Oliver & S Woodland Stroll Digital Pattern
Oliver & S Woodland Stroll Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $13.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

No Pattern Used Home Sweet Home Pillow
photo
Review by Sew Nanny on 12/12/08
Read Review

Vogue 1240 Pattern ( Size 4-6-8-10 )
Vogue 1240 Pattern ( Size 4-6-8-10 )

Details
Price: $30.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Kwik Sew 4027 Pattern
Kwik Sew 4027 Pattern

Details
Price: $11.99
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN