SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Am I the only one? Confession time. ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Am I the only one? Confession time.
reetsi
reetsi  Friend of PR
Beginner
Member since 4/21/12
Send Message

thumbsup 12 members like this.

Date: 7/3/13 9:35 PM

When I started sewing, I took classes non-stop at the local continuing ed program here in San Diego. I loved it! I learned a lot and met other beginning sewists who have been a wonderful inspiration.

Fast forward to this spring. Work demands and family stuff meant that I had to stop attending classes. For the past 3 months, I find that I enjoy reading PR and sewing blogs so much more than sewing! I watch my Craftsy classes without ever venturing near my sewing machine.

Has anyone else experienced this? Enjoying websites, blogs and online classes ABOUT sewing more than sewing itself?

JEF
starstarstar
JEF  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 7/27/05
Board Moderator
Send Message

thumbsup 12 members like this.

Date: 7/3/13 10:30 PM

You are so NOT alone. I finally had to realize that I like learning/reading about a new hobby/craft just as much as I like doing it. And, you know what? That's OK too. It's still my hobby and there are no hobby police :)

JEF

------
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." --Abraham Lincoln

Melinda In Tulsa
star
Melinda In Tulsa  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/15/03
Send Message

thumbsup 7 members like this.

Date: 7/4/13 1:00 AM

NO! You are NOT alone! I truly believe most of us would get a lot more sewing done if we could just get off the forums ( not gonna happen....)

------
Melinda

We had to get rid of the kids, the dogs are allergic

Babylock Unity, Symphony, Serenade, Imagine Wave, BL Coverstitch, BL Emore, BL Embellisher, Juki TL2010Q, Pfaff 7570, Kenmore 385.1915, Kenmore 158.1914, Kenmore 158.1430, Brother PE 150, 1938 Singer Featherweight, 1896 Singer 27 Treadle...Member of SMAD

lalalauren
star
lalalauren
Advanced Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 11/1/12
Send Message

thumbsup 8 members like this.

Date: 7/4/13 2:24 AM

I do this too! It's easier to read sewing blogs while I lie in bed - even if I don't go to sleep for a few hours - than it is to get up and do some sewing.

The problem I have is I get SO excited about sewing when I'm supposed to be going to sleep, that I actually can't sleep and end up dog tired the following day.

I'm sure it's some sort of sewing-related anxiety and hopefully there are fellow sufferers on here who can relate!

------
beaglesbakinganddressmaking.wordpress.com

westmoon
star
westmoon  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
United Kingdom
Member since 9/7/11
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 7/4/13 5:12 AM

I spend FAR more time thinking and reading about sewing than I do actually sewing. Some of that is deliberate/unavoidable -- I quite often read about sewing when I am too tired to sew without making a lot of mistakes, and also as a way to give my brain a break from thinking about my work. Some of it though is just, as someone else said, part of my enjoyment of sewing for a hobby is interacting with other people who like to sew, by blogging and being on this forum and reading other people's blogs and forum posts and so on.

------
http://sewingnovice.blogspot.co.uk/
One woman. One sewing machine. One giant stack of fabric. What could possibly go wrong?

VivianZ
star
VivianZ  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Louisiana USA
Member since 12/8/04
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 7/4/13 9:15 AM

I have a friend who sewed for her children were they young, but never like the way they turned out, but always liked the things I sewed. I told her a few tricks, like wash the fabric first, follow the grain and always press as you go, but she never really liked doing it. I have sewn since I was young, and always sewed alone, no classes. When she retired, she took heirloom sewing classes, and sews with the group weekly all day. Sometimes more than once a week. She doesn't really like sewing alone, and she has now been doing this for 3 years. She makes all kinds of children's clothes, beautiful things. She will work on an outfit or project at home, but never start it or finish it at home. She did the same thing with pottery. I think she is a group person, and really prefers doing things with groups. In the 3 years, she has never installed a zipper. So in conclusion, I think there are some women who like sewing in groups and some who do it alone. It might depend on confidence or encouragement, who knows.

------
height 5'2" bust 36, waist 31, hip 39.
I have way too many yards to count, and I will never use them up, but I will die trying!

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 7/4/13 10:14 AM

Oh yes! I go through periods of time when I am online far more than in my sewing room. I think this is just part of learning and developing skills. I do know, however, that many artists say to spend time in your studio even when you don't feel inspired. The discipline of just making a studio schedule supposedly fosters creativity.

I am busy with other hobbies and interests sometimes, and need to be flexible. I love to ride my horses, train them, work in the yard, read, travel, take Craftsy and other classes, cook and bake, walk with friends. There is only so much time in the day :-)

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

In reply to VivianZ <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/4/13 10:17 AM

Vivian - that is so interesting! I have sewed in a group once in the past few years and while it was fun and interesting, it wasn't something I want to do regularly. I spend a lot of time ruminating on a project - walking around the fabric and thinking about how I will handle this or that. It is great to have instant feedback on questions (even faster than posting on PR!) but I did feel like I was wasting time if I sat and stared at the fabric or pattern for long periods. So nice that your friend has found a way to keep her going, though!

Oh and yes, there are times when I should be sewing but I am noodling around here instead.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

Tarrbaby
Tarrbaby  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 10/28/06
Send Message

Date: 7/4/13 11:16 AM

To reetsi and lalalauren- I have found my people:)). I believe that learning/reading about sewing is the same as doing sewing. And when I can't sleep I lay awake doing mental pattern alterations, and designing.

------
Dawn T.

Molliefran
Molliefran  Friend of PR
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 4/28/07
Send Message

Date: 7/4/13 4:02 PM

Love blogs about sewing. My real time at the machine is limited also, but I keep up with PR and several bloggers daily. Using my creative imagination is very satisfying. Eventually, I do get it out of my head and into fabric. I go to retreats annually, and try not to miss Martha Pullen School of Art Fashion in February. All this makes sewing a very active social hobby. Love it!

------
"This is the day that The Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it!"
Building my stable one machine at a time: Viking circa 1975, Viking Sapphire 870, Bernina 1130, Huskylock 905, Babylock: Sophia2, Evolve, Embellisher & Sashiko
Most prized possession: Grandmother's Singer treadle machine with the drawers filled with her things, just like she left them.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Am I the only one? Confession time.

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Studio Tantrum Feliz

photo
by: morzel

Review
Sewing Workshop Tribeca Shirt Pattern

Sewing Workshop Tribeca Shirt Pattern

Buy Now
Petite Plus 302 Pattern

Petite Plus 302 Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.