SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Patterns and Notions > thread ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
thread
need thread
sewknitcrochet
sewknitcrochet
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 6/29/13
Send Message

Date: 7/4/13 0:42 AM

My MiL said Gutermann is the best thread...is that true?

I don't have lots of $ and only have 4 little spools...

Irina Grace
Irina Grace
Advanced
AZ USA
Member since 7/18/11
Send Message

In reply to sewknitcrochet <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/4/13 1:46 AM

Quote: sewknitcrochet

Gutermann silk thread and cotton thread are more consistent in quality and my machine makes better stitch with silk and cotton. About Gutermann polyester....I am not sure. My machine and fabrics do not like it. I use Gutermann poly only for my serger and some hand stitching. You have to try different brands/fibers to see what works better for you.

------
Irina Grace
English is my Second Language

annsew65
star
annsew65
Advanced
WV USA
Member since 4/9/02
online now
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/4/13 4:19 AM

I feel that Mettler is the best thread, but that can be a personal preference only. I've always thought that the Gutterman is a second best, though I do use it a good bit. It's a matter of having a local supply. Before this became available locally, I special ordered Mettler.

For silk thread, I always use Tire silk thread. It is available through Superior Thread.

------
Sewing in Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
Sewing Room Pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/annsew65/MySewingRoom#

Kwaaked
Kwaaked
Member since 9/25/12
online now
Send Message

Date: 7/4/13 8:04 AM

My machines (vintage to computerized) all seem to prefer California thread supply tex 30 (CTSUSA.com) from my serger to my straight stitch. NAYY.

It is an industrial company, and the cones are as well, but it equals 54.5 spools of the small Gutermann (cost is over $40 catching it on sale at .88) compared to .15 for the same spool. Or I can buy 2 spools on sale of Coats and Clark or one spool and get 15. I also wind them up on spools with EZ Winder, and it takes some practice, but it has been the best and cheapest solution for me.

I have never liked Gutermann. My machines make thread nests out of it, the spools and my machines don't get along and the value for the money is not there for me. Mettler is not a brand I can get locally, and I like the thread I do use, and is better, to me, then Guttermann in use, cost and appearance.

My machines don't like cotton, rayon or silk thread, even those made when that was all they could get.

Thread is a lot of a matter of choice, perspective and what you can get. I used Coats and Clark for years (and I still do), and I have never had a problem with it. I also have used old thread (which is a big no no).

Thread is a lot like scissors or any other notion. One person may love it, another hate it and someone else may be whatever about it. A lot is testing it out, see how you like it and go from there.

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TN USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

Date: 7/4/13 8:42 AM

Quote: sewknitcrochet

I do not use it often, only when it is the best color match, but the few times I used it there was no problem. Some people love it, some hate it. Or rather, their machines love or hate it.

Coats & Clark is the same way.... Some people (and their machines) love it, some hate it. I have never had a problem with it. C&C might be easier to find in local stores.
sewknitcrochet
sewknitcrochet
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 6/29/13
Send Message

Date: 7/4/13 10:32 AM

Hmmm the thread I do have is coats and poly-cotton. I like it just fine (as do my machines.)

nancy2001
starstarstarstar
nancy2001  Friend of PR
Advanced
AL USA
Member since 12/3/05
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/4/13 10:42 AM

If you are interested in getting the best thread for the least amount of money, I highly recommend you order spools of Gutermann Mara 100 thread (100% polyester) from wawak.com which is now on sale in July for just $1.99 a spool, regularly $2.49. This is the only thread I use in my modern Viking and vintage Singer sewing machines, and I highly recommend it for its quality, value and convenience. Note that these spools hold 1,096 yards of thread, almost ten times the amount of thread that the little 110 yard spools hold!

Flat rate shipping from Wawak, which sells many other sewing supplies at bargain rates is only $4.89 per order. To make the deal even sweeter, Wawak is running a special offer. Use the coupon code THREADS913 to receive a $20 discount off an order of $40 or more.

Wawak sells Gutermann thread in 400 colors. Here is an online thread color chart of Gutermann thread. Click on numbers 1 through 6 to see each page. You will probably also want to invest in Gutermann's Real Thread Color Chart, which includes real thread samples of every color for $22.95. I along with many other PR members own this chart and find it a handy and very economical way to order thread.

------
No sewing project is ever a complete success nor a total failure.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 7/4/13 11:03 AM

Buy as you need and not as a kit or group where there will be a few colors that are usable and the rest not.

You will usually find the better brands in a display case and not in a basket or bucket somewhere within the fabric store.

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

roziebelle
roziebelle  Friend of PR
Intermediate
PA USA
Member since 3/17/12
Send Message

Date: 7/5/13 9:54 AM

I just bought several colors of the Mettler from the Wawak co. upon recommendation from a teacher that I took a class from at one of the sewing expos (Londa Rholfing), that spelling might not be perfect). That mailorder catalog is a great place to order from with great prices. You should try some of their thread while they are having the 20 dollars off a 40 dollar order. that will more than make up for the 5.00 shipping charge. When you hand sew with the Mettler thread it never knots or kinks even without running it through beeswax. The sewing teacher recommended it for the sewing machine, also. I use Gutterman from Joann's most of the time without difficulty but as I replace my thread I will probably start replacing with Mettler. The very best price on Mettler is from Wawak. They have wonderful scissors, the white Clover seam ripper that is my favorite, marking pencils, a wide variety of snaps, buttons, many great sewing supplies. When I ordered the thread I just picked out basic colors that I thought I use a lot to try the mettler thread out. They will send you a color chart plus there is one on line that you can see before you order.. Their price is defintely the best because I have priced it since at several shops when I went on a shop hop recently. I use my older threads in my bobbins frequently which has not presented a problem so far but using good thread in the needle and a sharp needle is very important.
-- Edited on 7/5/13 9:55 AM --
-- Edited on 7/5/13 10:00 AM --

sewknitcrochet
sewknitcrochet
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 6/29/13
Send Message

Date: 7/5/13 10:20 AM

Is it true that thread goes "bad"? I'm used to hoarding yarn stash, because if you protect it from bugs....it's good for many years.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> thread

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns

Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Islander Sewing Systems Jacket Express Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Jacket Express Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Myla Tank Pattern

Sew Liberated Myla Tank Pattern

Buy Now
Butterick 5457

photo
by: Alice Wang

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.