SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > sewing sheer curtains ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
sewing sheer curtains
too difficult?
sewknitcrochet
sewknitcrochet
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 6/29/13
Send Message

Date: 7/5/13 1:03 PM

I want to sew sheer curtains for my craft area - simple ones with a casing for the curtain rod I will choose. It seems relatively simple?

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/5/13 1:39 PM

It's not difficult, but sheers look best with a double or triple hem. I was going to make them, but ended up buying them at JC Penney, it was less expensive. They didn't have the exact length I needed so I bought a little bit longer and folded the tops down to hem and make a new casing.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to diane s <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/5/13 2:00 PM

Diane is giving you some good info there.. for some reason sheer fabric is expensive.. much cheaper to buy them ready made..
If you have a serger its best to use it.. if not then you will most likely want to double turn over the raw edges. But ... since you are putting them on a casing rod they will ruffle somewhat and hide most any imperfections anyhow.. No reason not to make your own if you can find fabric you love better than any ready made selection.. I have only two selections in my workroom that I have purchased.. both are very unusual.. and were bargained price.. Here in the South we don't use as many sheers as black out curtains or blinds etc are very much needed in the summer months.

KensingtonCrab
KensingtonCrab
Advanced Beginner
South Carolina USA
Member since 2/13/09
Send Message

In reply to sewknitcrochet <<

Date: 7/5/13 2:17 PM

Oh, I made a dozen cafe curtains for our sun room in Chicagoland. It was sooooo laborious! I must have used 100 pins per square inch to hold the hem in place....never never ever again!! I agree with Diane, buy buy buy!

------
Carpe diem!

RMJ
star
RMJ  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/14/06
Send Message

Date: 7/5/13 2:54 PM

I think they're very easy, just fold over the edge twice and sew with a straight stitch,

Debbie Lancaster
star
Debbie Lancaster  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 9/18/02
Send Message

Date: 7/5/13 3:03 PM

Since I think curtain hems should be deep, at least 2 inches deep, I don't use pins. And since I think they should be washable, I use chalk to mark twice the hem depth, fold up to the mark, press, then fold the raw edge under to the press mark and press again. Then machine stitch.

Spray starch, glue sticks, or Wash-A-Way Wonder Tape can also help make hems really simple.

------
Debbie

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

Date: 7/5/13 4:58 PM

Add your own touch to sheers you buy and people will think you made them all!

Watch for those 50% off sales.
I bought some on sale for DR bay windows at Penney's-with the big grommets. Could not get that width/length fabric for 4 windows without piecing, so it was a no-brainer. Then I added an overlay strip across all four about 12" deep and 1/3 down to tie in with the kitchen colors.

Did the same for a white shower curtain, adding a strip of bird print
at the top hem, then tied it in by framing a couple of the bird fabric pieces for the wall.

I have Hancock's sale white sheers in the sewing room, planning to add a similar strip when I get around to decorating it further.

NonieA1
NonieA1  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 11/3/10
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 7/6/13 4:57 AM

When I was first married (48 yrs ago), my MIL gave me yards and yards of sheer fabric to make curtains for our living room in our new apartment. I was so very new in sewing and had a very old vintage machine that only did forward stitches. I worked on those curtains for months; I used sheering tape on the top hem and tripled the bottom hem of 4 inches. They looked great on the windows. I did use them over the years in various homes we had. They finally gave up the ghost after 40 years. I removed the sheering tape from the tops to use again. I still remember sweating over those sheers, telling myself, NEVER again.

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to sewknitcrochet <<

Date: 7/6/13 10:22 AM

I guess my standards for basic rod pocket curtains aren't as high as some people's are here. I find them one of the quickest things to make. Do you have a basic reference book on how to do this? Singer has some books on this, and probably other publishing companies do, too. If you don't have a book, either find one at the library or do an online search for a tutorial.

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/6/13 12:19 PM

I sewed shears last year. Penney discontinued the color I wanted or I would have bought them. The fabric shifted every time I breathed. I ended up using steam-a-seam to hold the hems down so I could sew them. Six panels, 84" long. ugh! Sewing sheer curtains is not my favorite thing to do.

------
Ada

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> sewing sheer curtains

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Butterick 5778

photo
by: aleah42

Review
Simplicity 4079

photo
by: Lori9999

Review
Wonder Wallet

Wonder Wallet

Buy Now
SewBaby Five Easy Booties Pattern

SewBaby Five Easy Booties Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.