SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Plus Size Sewing > wasitbands ( Moderated by JEF)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
wasitbands
what do you know?
AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

Date: 7/5/13 2:15 PM

I want a pair of shorts that fit through the hips, does not have to be yanked up when I stand up, will grow as my waist expands with the day so that by the evening they are still comfortable.

I can get the hips to fit but that waistband part is a mystery. Drawstring type shorts create to much bulk at the waist. Elastic waistbands always need pulling up as I move about. I was thinking about wide elastic incased in the band sitting just below the waist?

Anybody have a good waistband that will meet my criteria?

------
Ada

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to AdaH <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/5/13 4:36 PM

I haven't had time to try it yet but I was thinking of having a back yoke under the waist band and using a coordinated stretchy fabric in the yoke. And I would still include some elastic in the waistband.

I will also be playing with using power mesh as a yoke underlay - not to hold anything in, but to hold the pants up! I plan to replicate a pair of light cotton summer pants that I have. They look nice in the morning when they are fresh. On a hot and humid day the fabric gets tired of springing back.

I'm really too old to be seen yanking up my pants, it's decidedly ungraceful. Reminds me of having to chase my uniform skirt around my waist and constantly retuck my blouse when I was in Catholic school. Those uniforms always got messed up when playing football.

Another thought was to replace fabric under rear pockets with power mesh insets. That would provide a substantial amount of fabric on the backside with good recovery. This might work if the pockets were cut with just a smidge extra room at the top and then either faced with a strip of power mesh or brought in that extra little bit with very thin elastic.
-- Edited on 7/5/13 8:19 PM --

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

Janie Viers
star
Janie Viers  Friend of PR
Advanced
Ohio USA
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 7/5/13 7:57 PM

THe "drawstring" of my pants is only drawstring at the ends that show. The rest of the "drawstring" is really elastic sewn to one end of each string and a stitch in the ditch in the middle back to keep it from pulling out. That way If I lose a pound or two (ha ha I made a funny!) the elastic gives but I can pull tighter.

------
JanieV

DonnaH
star
DonnaH
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 10/1/03
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/5/13 8:52 PM

I have a pair of RTW pants with an interesting waistband. Rather than in a casing, the elastic (very wide - ~2") is more like a facing.

From the outside, it looks like the pants are just fitted very well (there is also an invisible side zip).

simplystitches
simplystitches
Beginner
Member since 2/12/06
Send Message

Date: 7/5/13 9:48 PM

I've used 2" wide elastic that does a very nice job of keeping waistbands in place. I use a separate sewn on casing for the elastic. One thing to note, for me anyway, was that I had to use a longer length of elastic than I would if using 1". It a much firmer elastic and I cut it pretty close to my actual waist measurement.

The only downside is that I find that the wider elastic is warmer to wear. Something to consider if you're using it in a pair of shorts.

I've used 1 1/2" wide elastic in skirts and shorts where the bottom edge of the elastic is at my actual waistline and the rest is above. That stays in place fairly well also.

Debbie

pjrsews
star
pjrsews  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 8/24/03
Send Message

Date: 7/6/13 11:27 AM

The waist treatment I use now on all of my skirts and pants is a faced waist. I allow a little extra room in the waist rather than fitting it exactly. I sew on the facing, understitch and trim. Then I fold the facing ends under and sew them (that way they are finished) and then I sew the facing down which makes a casing around the waist. I feed usually 3/4" elastic through and stitch it down on one end next to the zipper and secure the other end with a safety pin. This allows for adjustments from one wearing to another or one season to another (or one meal to another LOL!) You could also sew the other end down, too. When these pants or skirts are worn they look like a faced waist but I still have the comfort of elastic. I sometimes wear them with shirts tucked in and have put belt loops on a few, too. I should mention that I nearly always do a center back zipper because I like a flat front but with a little modification I have done this with a fly front zip as well.

AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

In reply to pjrsews <<

Date: 7/6/13 11:48 AM

Your waistband method appeals to me on a number of levels. The facing will eliminate the problem where the waistband flips down because of the roll of fat above my waist (I hate that). The facing is neat and lays flat so no excess fabric around the waist. The zipper is the only drawback I see as I am seam to have lost my ability to install zippers w/o them looking like a 10 year old inserted them. I suppose like all else in life practice will improve my skill. I will give it a whirl.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

------
Ada

pjrsews
star
pjrsews  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 8/24/03
Send Message

Date: 7/7/13 8:39 AM

It's funny that you should mention that bit about zippers because I feel the same way. I have been sewing for 40+ years and my centered zippers look like (yeah what you said about the 10 year old!) I just checked out a book from library - Dressmaking by Alison Smith - and I specifically looked at her section on zippers. Her centered zipper looks really bad, too, especially for someone who has written a book on the subject. I just keep trying, looking for ways to improve, and remembering that most people can't sew and probably don't think I do either.

AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

In reply to pjrsews <<

Date: 7/7/13 12:21 PM

I have considered glue

------
Ada

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 7/7/13 12:28 PM

Suspenders?

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Plus Size Sewing >> wasitbands

Merchants on PR

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Class Details

Online Class
Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Class Details

Butterick 4957

photo
by: LM2HYD

Review
SewBaby Reversible Skirt Pattern

SewBaby Reversible Skirt Pattern

More Info
SewBaby Animal Wrappers Pattern

SewBaby Animal Wrappers Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.