Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Machine Embroidery > Brother PE770 vs Brother PE780D ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Brother PE770 vs Brother PE780D
Lizajane1973
Lizajane1973  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
FL USA
Member since 1/19/07
Login to reply to this post

Date: 7/5/13 3:18 PM

OK... is there a MAJOR difference in the Brother PE770 and the Brother PE780D? Other than the 780D has Disney designs pre-installed and that it's only sold by a dealer. I've been told there wasn't, but want some input from people that may have used both or are in the same boat.
Honest answers appreciated. Thanks.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06

thumbsup 2 members like this.
Date: 7/5/13 5:32 PM

Have you compared the two models at the Brother website?

------
“I don’t give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think it’s Hell.” — Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Lizajane1973
Advanced Beginner
FL USA
Member since 1/19/07

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 7/5/13 8:35 PM

Quote: PattiAnnJ
Have you compared the two models at the Brother website?

Yeah... personally, I can't see any differences on the spec sheets (sorry, I thought I wrote that in my post...I guess I wrote it in another post on a different message board. Oops!).
But I thought I'd post the question anyways, just in case someone has tried both and is aware of any differences. Just covering my bases, I guess.
Mrs.Moos
star
Mrs.Moos  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 11/5/02

Date: 7/6/13 0:27 AM

780D has Disney built in. 770 has the capability to read the iBroidery.com designs so you can get SOME Disney designs-as well as others

------
Brother ULT 2002D, Janome 6500P, Babylock Eclipse SX, Juki MO654DE, Janome Coverpro 1000CPX, Singer 15-91

Lizajane1973
Advanced Beginner
FL USA
Member since 1/19/07

In reply to Mrs.Moos <<

Date: 7/6/13 5:38 AM

Quote: Mrs.Moos
780D has Disney built in. 770 has the capability to read the iBroidery.com designs so you can get SOME Disney designs-as well as others

Ok, that's what I thought. I just don't want them to try to sell me a machine based on pre-installed designs that I probably wouldn't use anyway.
The dealer referred to the 780d as a 'superior' machine to the 770. A few pre-installed designs does not make it superior in my book. Thanks! :)
rubbecca

rubbecca
Advanced Beginner
CA USA
Member since 2/25/08

In reply to Lizajane1973 <<

Date: 7/9/13 3:35 AM

Quote: Lizajane1973
[quote] 780D has Disney built in. 770 has the capability to read the iBroidery.com designs so you can get SOME Disney designs-as well as others

Ok, that's what I thought. I just don't want them to try to sell me a machine based on pre-installed designs that I probably wouldn't use anyway.

The dealer referred to the 780d as a 'superior' machine to the 770. A few pre-installed designs does not make it superior in my book. Thanks! :)[/quote]
Hi,

I have the PE 700II and I saw the 780D at my local dealer. As far as I can tell, the 780D was exactly like my PE 700II except for the additional Disney designs which I personally didn't care for. To me, it seemed like the same quality and the 700II, 770, and 780D are variations of the same machine design. Unless you really like the Disney designs that come with the 780D, the 770 should suffice. If there isn't a huge price difference, you can get the 780D from the dealer so you'll have dealer support and classes. As another person mentioned, you can get Disney designs for Brother embroidery machines from ibroidery.com.

------
Janome Sewist 509
Rebranded Kenmore 19233/Janome DC 5100
Janome MyLock 644D
Janome CoverPro 1000CP
Brother PE 700II

speattle
speattle
Member since 2/10/11

Date: 7/9/13 12:00 PM

I have a BRother 1250D, which is like the 780D, except has sewing capabilities too. But the embroidery side and designs is pretty much identical to the 780.

For me, I would say that of the pre-loaded designs the Disney are the ones I have used the most. I sew for a lot of little kids and they love it.

Pre-loaded Disney would be a definite selling feature for me, because the cost of downloading all the designs that are already there from iBroidery would be considerable.

Nikki929
Nikki929
Intermediate
AR USA
Member since 7/26/13

Date: 7/26/13 6:16 PM

I've had the 780d for 9 months and sad to say I've never used it. I'm thinking about pulling it out this weekend. Do you know if it appliqués letters. If I wanted to appliqué my DGD initials on her shirt with fabric?

Thank you for any help

lowcalorie2000
lowcalorie2000  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA
Member since 9/11/09

thumbsup 2 members like this.
Date: 8/21/13 1:52 PM

I have had a PE 770 for more than a year. It is a great machine. When I was shopping for my machine, the local Brother dealer told me three things that turned out to be totally false.

He said that I could not get Disney designs for a PE 770. Brother confirmed that I could buy the Disney designs (including the built-in designs that come on the 780D) on the ibroidery.com web site. I have done that successfully.

The Brother dealer also told me that the PE 770 had inferior parts and assembly to the 780D. Brother confirmed that there was absolutely no difference in how they are made. Brother said that machines are the same except for the outer case color and the absence of the Disney logo on the 770.

The dealer also said that there would be no support from Brother for the 770. Not true. I have contacted Brother by telephone a few times and reached knowledgeable people who were able to answer my questions.

There is a fairly big price difference (or at least there was when I bought) between the two machines. I figured I could buy a lot of ibroidery designs for the difference in price. I have 4 grandchildren under the age of 5 and I've only purchased about 5 Disney designs since I've had the machine. I'm really glad I didn't fall for the Brother dealer's unethical tactics.

MartiP
MartiP  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MI USA
Member since 9/5/12
online now

In reply to rubbecca <<

Date: 8/21/13 2:42 PM

"Superior" probably means he has a greater need to sell it.

------
MartiP

Ruckertt's Law; There is nothing so small that it can't be blown out of proportion.

Bernina 1230 Bernette 007D
Brother CS6000i Brother 2340 CV
New Home L372 US Blindhem,
Singer 221K (off white) Model SL 718/2D
Simplicity SE2 Brother 700II

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> Brother PE770 vs Brother PE780D

Merchants on PR
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!
Elliott Berman Textiles
Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Leather 101
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Leather 101

Online Sewing Classes
Break your Serger Out of the Box
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Other Hot Scott Cargo Shorts
photo
Review by debbielnix on 5/23/10
Read Review

Simple Things Bibs and Booties Digital Pattern
Simple Things Bibs and Booties Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Peek-A Boo Skinny Jeans Digital Pattern ( Size 12 mo -10 years )
Peek-A Boo Skinny Jeans Digital Pattern ( Size 12 mo -10 years )

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

BurdaStyle Magazine 03-2009-106
photo
Review by jennybaxt on 2/22/11
Read Review

You Sew Girl Panel Bag
You Sew Girl Panel Bag

Details
Price: $19.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Favorite Things Cute Skirts Pattern
Favorite Things Cute Skirts Pattern

Details
Price: $14.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simplicity 1675 Pattern ( Size 3-4-5-6 )
Simplicity 1675 Pattern ( Size 3-4-5-6 )

Details
Price: $15.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Vogue 1259 Pattern ( Size 4-6-8-10 )
Vogue 1259 Pattern ( Size 4-6-8-10 )

Details
Price: $35.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN