SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Quilt Backing ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Quilt Backing
Should I Use Several Skinny Strips?
Kippysan
star
Kippysan
Intermediate
Member since 4/19/11
Send Message

Date: 7/5/13 9:40 PM

I'm conjuring up a backing for a 36 inch square baby quilt and I can use some advice.

Usually, I would piece the backing with just 2 or 3 pieces of fabric in wider widths to get to the 40 inches I need for the backing.

But I'm staring at these fabric strips that are from 3 inches to 7 inches wide and I'm thinking....would it be a bad idea to try to make up the backing, using several strips? Will the multiple seam allowances generated by my plan give me a big, fat headache when I get to the machine quilting part of this journey?

Have you ever pieced a backing with multiple "skinny" and "fatter" strips of fabric? And if you did, how did those pesky seam allowances work out?

Kippy

Franksdottir

Franksdottir  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/25/08
Send Message

In reply to Kippysan <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/5/13 10:09 PM

You can make the back with smaller pieces - if you have seen full-sized quilts they often have lots of smaller pieces, in fact, Portland posted one the other day.

I have done this and if you were hand-quilting it might be a problem, but with machine quilting it shouldn't be a problem.

------
Barb

Kippysan
star
Kippysan
Intermediate
Member since 4/19/11
Send Message

In reply to Franksdottir <<

Date: 7/5/13 10:26 PM

Okay. And I should still use 1/2 inch seam allowances? Right?

Kippy

Franksdottir

Franksdottir  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/25/08
Send Message

In reply to Kippysan <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 7/5/13 10:45 PM

I usually use quarter inch seam allowances, but you can use whatever you want. I promise the Quilt Police will not invade your house and stand over you like my Home Ec teacher did to me.

------
Barb

AminaHijabi
star
AminaHijabi
Advanced Beginner
Member since 10/22/10
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 7/5/13 11:00 PM

Unless you have cheesecake, in which case they *might* come to your house. Do you have cheesecake?

HDWen
star
HDWen  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Arizona USA
Member since 12/26/11
online now
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/6/13 0:18 AM

For sure I'll come for Cheesecake!!! But, only if it's NY Style and plain!

hmm I recently saw a quilt where they had used left over strips going into the back... where o where -- Bet if you google strip piece Backs of quilts - You will be sure to see too many :-) But always good for ideas!

I don't think on machine quilting it will matter one lick - that machine is powering through the top, batting and the bottom so what's a few seams on the bottom after all that batting???

Good luck and let us see what you find on how to do it!!

:-Debbie

Edited -- I watched this one to see how to add strips to an outer border - I suppose same way you could use to the back??

Pierced Strips Border She begins the strip sets at 2:51 on the clock :-)

Hope that helps!

over and to bed
-- Edited on 7/6/13 0:23 AM --

------
I have a great enthusium for sewing, but lack talent to be great.

Kippysan
star
Kippysan
Intermediate
Member since 4/19/11
Send Message

Date: 7/6/13 8:40 AM

Ohhhhh. I get it. Don't worry about the number of seams on the back of the quilt - you might have a kazillion on the front. It comes out to the same thing.

So, I'm off to piece the backing using skinny and fat strips. It will be a work of art, I'm sure. Yahoooooo!

No cheesecake here. But I did happen to find a box of brand new springform pans in the basement last week. So I could make a cheesecake. If I had the time. If I wasn't working on 8 baby quilts because everybody is having a baby at the same time. Whew!

Thanks everybody,
Kippy

Adaire
star
Adaire  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/20/12
Send Message

Date: 7/6/13 9:08 AM

I was focusing on your baby quilt backing but now you have me obsessing over cheesecake!

Kippysan
star
Kippysan
Intermediate
Member since 4/19/11
Send Message

In reply to Adaire <<

Date: 7/6/13 9:20 AM

Oh boy, now I know what the quilt label is going to look like...........
a big old Cheesecake! As Muffett would say --

Hahahahahahaha!!

So the mother of the baby looks puzzled when she sees the label.....so what?

Hahahahahahaha!!

I think I'm losing it.........must be the heat......but you wouldn't know about that.....down in Florida.........

Kippy

justgail

justgail
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 1/19/06
Send Message

Date: 7/6/13 10:25 AM

I've been seeing more and more pieced quilt backs. I like them.

I seem to recall that the only caution was to try not to have too many seams on top of each other for long distances. For example if you have a seam running in a line top to bottom (or side to side), you'd try to have the backing seam to one side of that. But maybe that was for hand quilting?

I wonder how much danger there is from seams pulling apart if they were stacked for a long distance. Esp. a quilt that was hung and had stacked side to side seams.

edited to add - I'm wondering about big quilts that are hung up, not small ones.
-- Edited on 7/6/13 10:27 AM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Quilt Backing

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Vogue Patterns 9475 OOP

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
Sew Chic Spin Skirt Pattern (ln1209)

Sew Chic Spin Skirt Pattern (ln1209)

Buy Now
Petite Plus 151 Pattern

Petite Plus 151 Pattern

Buy Now
Butterick 5425

photo
by: Viviette

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.