SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Spaces > Koala - 32" or 35" height? ( Moderated by Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Koala - 32" or 35" height?
Need help choosing cabinet
Claire Voyant
Claire Voyant
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 6/11/13
Send Message

Date: 7/5/13 9:48 PM

I placed an order this morning for a Koala Sewmate Plus IV at the 32" height. But since placing the order, I've been concerned that the Treasure Chest at the 35" height wouldn't suit me better. I'm 5'10" tall with a 35" inseam, so a taller cabinet would probably work better. The reason I didn't order it to begin with is because I'll have my serger set up behind me on a smaller cub (will order it the same height) and was concerned about scooting the chair around at a higher height. I have a Tailormade cutting table so I really don't need the extra height for that.

Does anyone have a cabinet at the 35" height and is it easily usable and comfortable?

lelliebunny
star
lelliebunny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/24/12
Send Message

In reply to Claire Voyant <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/5/13 10:01 PM

I have a treasure chest plus iv that comes standard in the taller height. I'm only 5'7", but I have legs almost as long as yours (usually 33-34" inseam). I opted for the taller height because it is more comfy for me to stretch out my legs more and I have less neck strain. The only issue with the taller cabinet is chairs. I have the koala chair which does go to drafting height, but not all chairs will go the high.

------
it doesn't matter what type of sewing you do. you are sewing, and sewing is good.

Claire Voyant
Claire Voyant
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 6/11/13
Send Message

Date: 7/5/13 10:30 PM

Thanks Lellie . . .i have a Koala chair already. I think I'll call in the morning and switch it to the Treasure Chest. Wish they'd had a cabinet at the 35" height in the store.

lelliebunny
star
Intermediate
Member since 12/24/12
Send Message

Date: 7/5/13 10:39 PM

I hope you love it!

------
it doesn't matter what type of sewing you do. you are sewing, and sewing is good.

nancyc
star
nancyc  Friend of PR
Advanced
Ohio USA
Member since 10/13/04
Send Message

Date: 7/6/13 6:02 AM

I have the Koala cabinet at the 35" height, and I am so happy I opted for the higher height. My legs are also very long, and the extra height is very comfortable for me. The cabinet I bought has a raised ledge at the floor for the foot petal. I tried the lower height at the store, and my legs were very cramped using the foot petal. I have had the cabinet for about six months now, and I love it. I think you will be very happy with the 35" height.

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Subject: Koala - 32 or 35 height? Date: 7/6/13 6:27 AM

I have the highest height in the Dual Mate and set up a folding table- regular height- behind it for my serger. I am taking my time deciding on the next configuration.
But it isnt a problem to turn the chair around and bring it up and down. It varies my posture and helps my neck and shoulders. Sometimes I even stand up.
I think you will find some advantages having both heights in the same room.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

Claire Voyant
Claire Voyant
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 6/11/13
Send Message

Date: 7/6/13 11:50 PM

Thanks for all the advise . . .i went ahead and swapped out my order today from the Sewmate to the Treasure Chest at the 35" height and added the cub mate for my serger at the 35" height. I also quilt and putting the two cabinets together will give me more room than the Quiltmates but they can be separated when garment sewing and not take up as much room. The pedal platform may take some getting used to, but sounds like it will be worth it. Thanks again.

lelliebunny
star
Intermediate
Member since 12/24/12
Send Message

Date: 7/7/13 0:39 AM

I have seen some foot control areas that are more like ledges. This one isn't a simple ledge.

Did you get the outback leaf? I have only used mine once or twice, but I love it when I'm working on a king size quilt.

------

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Subject: Koala - 32 or 35 height? Date: 7/7/13 5:49 AM

The outback shelves are my only regret. I still dont know that I love the ledge. It is just a lot of room. Without the shelves it is easy to put the ledge up and down. But with shelves, they are tedious and heavy so the ledge stats up.
So of course I want the clutter under the machine cabint area away from the door. And the OB shelves cant be against a wall if you want access. So they face the door. I dont like clutter so they dont hold a lot- a few nice looking items only. I have 2 bookshelves already or that may have been OK. I tried it but the books made it far to heavy to move the Koala myself.
One reason for my delay in ordering another piece is whether to get the outback ledge. I think not as it will be for my serger or my travel machine.
Without the shelves though, I could keep it against the wall and if I ever did need extra top space, I could scoot it out a bit and raise the ledge.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

Tere Sews

Tere Sews
Advanced
New Hampshire USA
Member since 8/15/06
online now
Send Message

Subject: Koala - 32 or 35 height? Date: 7/7/13 6:37 AM

I think you will be pleased with the 35 inch height. I am also 5' 10" and found my previous 32 inch Koala uncomfortable. I gave it to my daughter and bought the 35 inch a year ago. Love it.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Spaces >> Koala - 32" or 35" height?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Understanding Wool Fabrics
Understanding Wool Fabrics

Register

Self Drafted Pattern 37509-1005

photo
by: Mufffet

Review
Take-Along Bags

Take-Along Bags

Buy Now
Bluegingerdoll The Peggy Skirt Pattern

Bluegingerdoll The Peggy Skirt Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.