SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Miscellaneous > Pruning roses ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Pruning roses
Too many roses per branch
Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

Date: 7/6/13 10:16 AM

I have a lovely Graham Thomas yellow English rose bush in my front yard. This year there were two main branches full of roses. But apparently too many roses bloomed at once, because twice within one week, a branch/stem with maybe 6-8 roses on it has suddenly broken at the base. There are hardly any roses left now.

I assume this can be resolved next year with pruning, but I'm not sure. Do any of you have experience with this? How can I encourage the roses to spread out a bit so that not so many bloom on one branch at once?

-- Edited on 7/6/13 10:17 AM --

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

tlmck3
star
tlmck3
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 7/11/05
Send Message

In reply to Vintage Joan <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 7/6/13 10:27 AM

Graham Thomas is a climber. Is it supported by anything? People do disbud roses but it's not to make the branches lighter, it's to force a single bloom on each stem for display or cutting.

------
I am going for a level of perfection that is only mine... Most of the pleasure is in getting that last little piece perfect...Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just keep showing up and doing the work.

Chuck Close, painter, printmaker, photographer

Hope has two lovely daughters: Anger and Courage

St. Augustine

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
online now
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/6/13 12:52 PM

At gardenweb.com there is quite a bit of discussion of this rose. Apparently it is a climber and would like support, but many gardeners mention the difficulty you are having with the stems or branches. Some people think the problem might be an infection or fungus, but no one seems to have a solution, and quite a few posters vow they'd never plant that particular rose again. Others just adore it and have never had any trouble with it.

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

Date: 7/6/13 7:14 PM

Hmm, interesting. Mine definitely wasn't sold as a climber. It does get fairly tall -- 3.5 feet? -- but not like a climber.

I've had it for 6-7 years and this is the first time the branches have snapped from the weight of the roses.

Now I'm not sure what to do.

-- Edited on 7/6/13 7:15 PM --

------

Kwaaked
Kwaaked
Member since 9/25/12
Send Message

Date: 7/7/13 5:30 AM

This is not going to help, so fair warning.

I have a bush that every year I try to kill (it's in a spot that makes it hard to get in the house and the people that had it before us planted it under the porch stairs before they added them so we can't transplant).

Every year I prune that sucker to the ground right before a frost, and every year it grows back bigger then ever.

Seriously, I always thought you were supposed to heavily prune them back after flowering season and get rid of the brown branches and allow new and healthier growth to occur.

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
online now
Send Message

In reply to Kwaaked <<

Date: 7/7/13 1:06 PM

Some roses do seem to enjoy being 'mowed.' I have a very old 'Brandy' that is much improved by this technique.

PattyGee
PattyGee  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 11/12/03
Send Message

Date: 7/8/13 1:31 PM

http://msucares.com/lawn/garden/flowers/perennial/roses/pruning-diagrams.pdf

Loti Maybe this will help with your pruning. I would examine the rose branch (cane) and check for rot or other signs of disease. Remove the canes and dispose of right away so as not to spread any type of infestation. The rose bush you mentioned is a shrub but has the ability to climb. I would also contact my local master gardener and ask if there are any issues with other roses in your area. Best of luck with your roses.

------
Patty
Bernina 530, Bernina 200e with upgrade 730, BL Enlighten Serger, BL Coverstitch and Juki TL-2010Q.

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to PattyGee <<

Date: 7/8/13 2:07 PM

Thank you, Patty! This is all very helpful.

Quote:
The rose bush you mentioned is a shrub but has the ability to climb.

I was wondering about this the other day, after some people said it was a climber. It isn't sold as a climber here in Southern Ontario -- the tallest mine has EVER gotten is 3.5-4 feet. People on U.S. garden forums were saying their Graham Thomas rose bushes got 8 feet tall!! This made me wonder if what qualifies as a "climber" depends on the region. Mine does get a bit gangly, but "a shrub [with] the ability to climb" sounds more like it.

I will have a closer look and check for possible signs of disease. I'll also speak to some local gardening experts.

Thanks again.

Joan

------

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
Oregon USA
Member since 8/29/06
Send Message

Date: 7/10/13 5:10 AM

A top heavy branch would break at the base over time from swaying in moderate breezes...so for future heavily bloomed branches they could be staked...or pruned back using the blooms in flower arrangements indoors. Or...cutting one fully bloomed rose at at time may help with the weight...and would look lovely as a solitaire set in some Oasis in a pretty bowl. Actual pruning will help with gangly growth habit.

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
Oregon USA
Member since 8/29/06
Send Message

In reply to Kwaaked <<

Date: 7/10/13 5:19 AM

If you want to kill it...mix 1 cup of vinegar with 1/4 cup salt...stir until the salt is dissolved...do NOT breathe in vinegar vapors...vinegar is pungent....pour in the earth at the center of the plant. It will die.
-- Edited on 7/10/13 5:21 AM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Pruning roses

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Self Drafted Pattern Haltertop Hussy

photo
by: SavageCoco

Review
BurdaStyle Magazine 05-2012-108

photo
by: annie11

Review
Sewing Workshop Stella and Luna Tops

Sewing Workshop Stella and Luna Tops

Buy Now
Petite Plus Patterns Walking Jacket

Petite Plus Patterns Walking Jacket

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.