SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting > Converting Bootcut Pattern to Straight leg

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Converting Bootcut Pattern to Straight leg
kowgiirl.up
kowgiirl.up
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 12/28/12
Send Message

Date: 7/8/13 4:11 PM

I have a boot cut (jean) pattern that I would like to make into straight legs.
This pattern fits me fairly well down through the thigh area where it starts the flair for the boot cut.
Would I just start to straighten the legs from the thigh area for both the inseam and out seam?

Would it help you all if I post a pic of the pattern before I make changes?

------
Runs with scissors
Universal Deluxe Zig Zag from the 60's
Singer Quantum Stylist 9960
Singer Treadle 127 Egyptian
Juki MO 735

DonnaH
star
DonnaH
Intermediate
TX
Member since 10/1/03
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/8/13 6:06 PM

Posting a pic would be good.

The flair on bootcuts doesn't usually start until below the knee - not at the thigh.

I think I would only narrow one side (probably not the inseam) to start, muslin that and see how it turns out. Unless the pattern has an obvious flare out on both sides - in that case I would "narrow" by just going parallel to the grainline from about mid-thigh.

GwenH
GwenH
Advanced Beginner
CA USA
Member since 8/26/09
Send Message

Date: 7/8/13 6:23 PM

Unless inches of fabric are an issue, I'd do most of the modification after cutting, trying on and pinning. You are going to remove excess fabric at one or both seamlines anyway, so you could always do it after a fitting. I've even seen DIY instructions online somewhere about taking an existing pair of flare jeans and turning them into skinny jeans, so it should work.

skae
star
skae  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/23/07
Send Message

In reply to kowgiirl.up <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/8/13 8:29 PM

I would start about 4-6 inches above the knee.
How narrow do you want to make the pants.
Measure the bottom on how far you want
It to be in .
If you have a pair of straight leg pant measure
The pant front with. Then measure the back with.
The front is a little bit narrower then the back.
With each front and back center each.
Mark on each side that is how much you will
Take in. Take a yard stick and lay it down
From the 4-6 above the knee all the way down.
Draw your line. You do have to take both sides
In to make the sides look even.

------
Ecclesiastes 11:7,8 Nothing on earth is more beautiful than the morning sun. Even if you live to a ripe old age, you should try to enjoy each day, because darkness will come and will last a long time. (CEV)

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

In reply to GwenH <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/9/13 10:53 PM

I agree that doing it as you are fitting is the easiest way to go about this. You need to take in both sides equally. It would help to have an idea of the width of the hem you'd like as a starting point. You should use the knee as the pivot point for the narrowing.
-- Edited on 7/9/13 10:54 PM --

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

kowgiirl.up
kowgiirl.up
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 12/28/12
Send Message

Date: 7/10/13 12:46 PM

I've been busier than a cat in a flower bed this week but I'll get something laid out so I can get some numbers and a pic posted.

------
Runs with scissors
Juki MO 735

sfshaza
star
sfshaza
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 9/12/07
Send Message

Date: 7/10/13 10:25 PM

I did this recently using the Jalie jeans pattern. I made the alteration before I cut out the fabric, but it is probably wise to fit it to yourself, as has been suggested. I did it first because I was inserting a zipper into the hem of the outside seam. You can see my jeans here: My review.

In order to keep the leg balanced, you need to remove equally from both the inner and outer seams. It depends on your pattern, of course, but I only removed fabric from the knee down, which is where the flare occurred. This pattern was well fitting through the thigh and didn't need to have any fabric removed.

Good luck!

------
http://communingwithfabric.blogspot.com/

kowgiirl.up
kowgiirl.up
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 12/28/12
Send Message

Date: 7/13/13 2:40 PM

I'm sorry it took so long to get these posted.

I would like to hit a happy medium between the straight legs that I have pictured along with the bootcut pattern I'm working with.

I'm thinking maybe 2 inches in the front and 2 inches in the back (1 inch per side seam and inseam) starting at the knee area which would be the narrowest section of the legs.

Do you think that would work as a starting point?

Also, I am hoping to be doing other modifications to this pattern from the crotch area up. Should I start a new topic for each modification or just add them to this thread?

-- Edited on 7/13/13 2:43 PM --
-- Edited on 7/13/13 2:44 PM --

------
Runs with scissors
Juki MO 735

jenleeC
star
jenleeC  Friend of PR
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 6/4/11
Send Message

In reply to kowgiirl.up <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/15/13 8:17 PM

I would second sfshaza's comment "In order to keep the leg balanced, you need to remove equally from both the inner and outer seams". If you don't do this your legs will twist and feel uncomfortable when you are wearing your pants.

However, I disagree with most of the posters who say start at the knee. You should start at the hem, mark in from each side the amount you need in order to narrow to your desired width then using your ruler, rule up toward the knee area but allow the adjustment to finish at the point where it naturally wants to merge with the existing seam. This will be somewhere around the knee but may not be at the same point on the inside and outside leg. It is likely the taper will finish slightly higher on one side than the other.

------
Jenny, Perth, WA

kowgiirl.up
kowgiirl.up
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 12/28/12
Send Message

Date: 7/16/13 11:57 AM

Thank you

------
Runs with scissors
Juki MO 735

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting >> Converting Bootcut Pattern to Straight leg

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Jalie 2919

photo
by: j Renee De...

Review

Pattern

Ultrasuede Jacket DVD

Ultrasuede Jacket DVD

Buy Now
Victoria Jones Collection Men's Hawaiian Aloha Shirt

Victoria Jones Collection Men's Hawaiian Aloha Shirt

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.