SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Liberty Lawn ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Liberty Lawn
mm
star
mm
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 1/6/03
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/9/13 9:47 PM

It is many years since I have bought Liberty Lawn. Recently I bought a few lengths and, much as I love the prints, the quality of the actual fabric doesn't match the Liberty of old. Have other sewers noticed this?

jilly cooper
jilly cooper
Advanced Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/15/08
Send Message

In reply to mm <<

Date: 7/9/13 9:51 PM

I don't buy much, but I think there is a difference, I can remember the absolute softness from years ago and now it doesn't seem to be the same quality but I also adore the prints.

BrendaR
BrendaR
Intermediate
VA USA
Member since 6/13/13
Send Message

In reply to mm <<

Date: 7/9/13 10:36 PM

Yes, absolutely, because it's not made in England anymore. I believe it is manufactured in Thailand and elsewhere and printed in Italy and some in England. That's why the prints are still great but the touch is disappointing. This has been going on for some time. It works fine for quilts.

mmcp
mmcp  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
MD USA
Member since 5/31/09
Send Message

Date: 7/10/13 7:29 PM

I think it's not all the same. I bought some yardage last year that was completely spectacular, and gave it away as a gift when we stayed with a friend who sews. When I bought another batch, it was a different quality, and I was quite surprised. So if you can shop at Liberty, you can feel which ones are better. If you can't you can't.

Chemical
Chemical
Beginner
IL USA
Member since 1/23/08
Send Message

In reply to BrendaR <<

Date: 7/11/13 9:28 PM

Quote: BrendaR
Yes, absolutely, because it's not made in England anymore. I believe it is manufactured in Thailand and elsewhere and printed in Italy and some in England. That's why the prints are still great but the touch is disappointing. This has been going on for some time. It works fine for quilts.

Brenda, I had no idea that was the case. I'm really disappointed to hear that especially considering what a premium we pay for Liberty fabric. Jeeze how much does it cost to buy high quality cotton- can you even buy it any more?

------
doll/human yardage used in 2014: 3/19.5
doll/human yardage bought in 2014: 26/31.5
current doll/human stash: 41.5/????!

BrendaR
BrendaR
Intermediate
VA USA
Member since 6/13/13
Send Message

In reply to Chemical <<

Date: 7/14/13 4:41 AM

Depends on what kind of cottons you are looking for. I go by touch and appearance instead of by brand. Then read the label and find that shirting solids and stripes, and wovens like mini herringbones, from Switzerland, Germany, Italy, and Japan are generally what make me happy. I remember heavier cotton from Marimekko, which I think is what is now carried by Ikea...too heavy for my purposes but very cute prints which might work for quilting. Brazil used to make nice basic cottons too, I don't know if that's still the case. Another idea for prints might be to look on ebay for fabric from Mayar Silk Co. which used to be a Hong Kong company that made absolutely gorgeous prints in cottons as well as silks and some mixes. I'd expect most to be in the $14 to $30 price range considering you can get Sea Island cotton for around $35...now that is heaven! Good luck.

I have a huge stash of prints so I guess those will help keep me going...

JKimes
star
JKimes  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
TX USA
Member since 11/4/05
Send Message

Date: 7/14/13 1:03 PM

I bought a length at the Liberty store when I was in London in April. Feels like heaven to me. Wondering if some of what people are getting isn't really Liberty, but sold as it.

Juliette

------
Juliette near Austin, TX
Bernina 830LE
Bernina 350PE
Babylock Evolution
ElnaPro 905DCX

Chemical
Chemical
Beginner
IL USA
Member since 1/23/08
Send Message

Date: 7/14/13 11:14 PM

Thanks for all the info Brenda! I've been very lucky so far the less expensive cottons (under $20 a yard) I've bought on line but higher quality cottons are a pretty new territory for me. I got some Liberty lawn from Fabric.com a year or two ago and it was fantastic, very very silky. I have some Nani Iro double gauze and brushed cotton coming in and I can't wait to play with it.

------

mm
star
mm
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 1/6/03
Send Message

Date: 7/15/13 8:08 AM

The lawn I am sewing at the moment was bought in person at Liberty. It is not that it is bad, but compared with scraps I have kept from decades ago, it lacks the body and sheen of the older fabric.
I ordered some sea island cotton from http://www.shaukat.co.uk/. This has a bit more body and I love the quality of it but I don't know if it is actually sea island cotton as this is a fabric that I never see. My length has a dense weave, reminiscent of the Liberty of old. This is the one http://www.shaukat.co.uk/product/sea060b
I also ordered some Liberty: http://www.shaukat.co.uk/product/gustav-and-otto-03633169a and http://www.shaukat.co.uk/product/ornithology-03631281d.

Chemical
Chemical
Beginner
IL USA
Member since 1/23/08
Send Message

Date: 7/15/13 6:02 PM

MM, those are some fabulous fabrics! Thanks for the link to that shop, they've got so much gorgeous stuff. Too bad they have a 1 meter minimum for each fabric, otherwise I'd buy a ton of stuff to dress my dolls in. Oh well, I guess that just means I'll have to buy things for me!

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Liberty Lawn

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Simplicity 2603

photo
by: Josnazz

Review
Contest 187297-1015

photo
by: Aroura

Review
Favorite Things Little Hip Skirts Pattern

Favorite Things Little Hip Skirts Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Mei Tai Baby Carrier

Sew Liberated Mei Tai Baby Carrier

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.