SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Simplicity 2895 - can it work for a lady? ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Simplicity 2895 - can it work for a lady?
LDT2011
star
LDT2011
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 11/18/11
Send Message

Date: 7/10/13 4:46 AM

I really need a victorian frock coat pattern...but all i can find is a mens pattern. Simplicity 2895. Is it possible to alter for me (lady) to wear?

------
'The purpose of most fashion is to be ostentatiously non-functional.'

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

In reply to LDT2011 <<

Date: 7/10/13 9:54 AM

I don't see why not. Check out the flat pattern/finished measurements against your own for starters. Make a quick muslin to see what alterations are needed. Depending on your bust size, you will probably have to do some sort of FBA. When I was a much smaller bust(B cup), I use to wear my husband's old Army shirts.

LDT2011
star
LDT2011
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 11/18/11
Send Message

In reply to JTink <<

Date: 7/10/13 10:53 AM

Quote: JTink
I don't see why not. Check out the flat pattern/finished measurements against your own for starters. Make a quick muslin to see what alterations are needed. Depending on your bust size, you will probably have to do some sort of FBA. When I was a much smaller bust(B cup), I use to wear my husband's old Army shirts.

I'm a 36 bust, 28 waist and 41 hip....and a F cup (UK sizes).
Wondering if I could get away with using chest size but then draping the pattern and reducing the waist at seams?

------

DonnaH
star
DonnaH
Intermediate
TX
Member since 10/1/03
online now
Send Message

Date: 7/10/13 6:05 PM

What about S2525?

Or S3685?

There's another one that was really popular last year. I can't seem to find it...

LDT2011
star
LDT2011
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 11/18/11
Send Message

In reply to DonnaH <<

Date: 7/11/13 8:24 AM

Quote: DonnaH
What about S2525?

Or S3685?

There's another one that was really popular last year. I can't seem to find it...

They are both a little too constum-y for me. I want something I can wear everyday after the even I make it for.

I spotted burda 7855 now if I went for view B but without the lace 'belt'. It would get pretty close to the coat I want to copy here.

------

DonnaH
star
DonnaH
Intermediate
TX
Member since 10/1/03
online now
Send Message

Date: 7/11/13 4:34 PM

Hmm, then I guess the riding coats won't work either. The "frock" coat is too short (usually about the same as a long blazer) and the shadbelly (cutaway in front) may be too costumey for you also.

This Suitability pattern has both. The back look very similar, though, so maybe you could extend the fronts instead of having tails? (Not sure as I don't own the pattern).

LDT2011
star
LDT2011
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 11/18/11
Send Message

Date: 7/12/13 11:52 AM

This coat on ebay is what I wanted cutwise. I just can't afford that price.
Although if I use the proper material and have to order a pattern form the US then with customs charges etc. It'll add up to the same price.
I think half my problem is I am slightly undecided on what I want to do. One moment I was thinking 11th doctor who the next I wonder if 8th doctor would be easier to adapt.
-- Edited on 7/12/13 11:55 AM --

------

DonnaH
star
DonnaH
Intermediate
TX
Member since 10/1/03
online now
Send Message

Date: 7/12/13 3:13 PM

OK, I think I have a better idea of what you want... (But that's a good looking coat, expensive, but not overpriced - I don't think I could do it for that price.)

M6800
Burda7153 - double breasted but still looks "antique" (view C looks like a feminine version of a men's frock coat.
B5824 - the collar is wrong, but the lines are like that ebay coat.

You could add some extra flare to the bottom of this Burda?

Coconuts
star
Coconuts  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MI USA
Member since 12/2/09
Send Message

Date: 7/12/13 4:06 PM

What about S1732? The collar is different, and the sleeves are puffed, but other than that it's just a coat.

LDT2011
star
LDT2011
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 11/18/11
Send Message

Date: 7/15/13 6:41 AM

I found this pattern on truly victorian. Which is what I had in mind. Vena Cava are doing it for 19.94. (but 20 for a pattern is big investment for me). Anyone used truly victorian patterns before?

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Simplicity 2895 - can it work for a lady?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Simplicity 8508

photo
by: maria 6705

Review
Butterick 4929

photo
by: PattyE

Review
Sewn Square One Skirt Smarts Pattern

Sewn Square One Skirt Smarts Pattern

Buy Now
You Sew Girl 200mm Chunky Frame Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 200mm Chunky Frame Purse Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.