SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Plus Size Sewing > I am making dresses ( Moderated by JEF)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
I am making dresses
In knits
AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

thumbsup 9 members like this.

Date: 7/13/13 9:28 AM

My first dress was the self drafted midi one I already posted about. It was so comfortable to wear and cool. I looked through my pattern stash and pulled out some really simple summer type patterns. Then pulled some knit fabric out of the stash and went to town.
I made a muslin of McCalls 9172 using the darted front. It only went to size 18 so I added to the side seams and did an FBA using Shams method (cut the skirt portion of the dress off at the waist, do the FBA then attach the skirt part back on)

I had to take the side seams in a lot and the dart is almost to low (that's never happened to me before). It is still a little bit big but I have already put the hems in so it will do for an around the house dress. There is a CB seam and I have a rudder thing going on at the bottom of the back but that is an easy fix. It feels as if I am wearing nothing.

I have another version of this dress sewn and waiting for the hems. It goes together really fast.
Oh, I should mention that it is for a woven and I am using a knit so that could account for the sizing. I usually cut an 18 at the neck/shoulders then swoop out to a 22 at the bust then back to a 20 at the hips. A straight 18 with an FBA is what I ended up using on the second dress. I'll post pictures as soon as I get it finished. Need to get some matching thread as I intend to use the CS machine to do the hems.

What I like about this dress is that is does not hug my body but just skims over the bumps.

Not sure how I managed to do this but I have 3 patterns of this dress?

------
Ada

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to AdaH <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/13/13 9:40 AM

What a great dress! And the color is great on you. You're a great example to those beginners starting out, on how to alter to different sizes. An 18 out to a 22 then back to a 20 takes some engineering. I have a KwikSew pattern similar to this,
KwikSew 2627 and have been wanting to cut it out (I made one dress from it before and love it, but it's a little too short). So you've inspired me. As soon as my wrist heals, I'm back to my sewing room.

Post a review, would you, so others can comment? You're bound to get a lot of favorable ones.
-- Edited on 7/13/13 9:55 AM --

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 7/13/13 11:11 AM

way to go Ada. It looks nice and comfy too. Can't beat that combination. I have also rediscovered dresses. They are so much cooler than pants or shorts. And, bonus, we look nice as we do our errands

simplystitches
simplystitches
New York USA
Member since 2/12/06
Send Message

Date: 7/13/13 12:04 PM

That looks fabulous!

I started making and wearing simple knit dresses in the summer a few years ago. They look good and have the added bonus of being much cooler than shorts since there's no waist band.

Debbie

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

Date: 7/13/13 5:18 PM

love the dress-think I have the pattern in the stash . I don't know know what it is this year but the usual uniform of cotton tops and capris isn't what I'm wanting to live in. I really like the uncluttered lines of your dress. I'm fixing to go pattern digging and see if I can find that pattern. Every thing you said about getting it fitted will be something I will have to do. I want mine loose and airy.-for sure.

Riesie
star
Riesie  Friend of PR
Advanced
Virginia USA
Member since 1/23/08
Send Message

In reply to AdaH <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/14/13 11:25 AM

You look so cool and comfortable! Lovely color for you.

I love summer dresses, too. I just have to remember to sit like a lady instead of sprawling, LOL!

------
Marie

visit my blog: www.madewithintent.blogspot.com/
or my Etsy store: www.etsy.com/shop/Riesie

Thanks!

KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

In reply to Riesie <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/14/13 12:21 PM

oh yeah, and getting in/out of a car

sewme47
star
sewme47
Intermediate
Illinois USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

Date: 7/14/13 3:57 PM

Super cute!

------
A balanced diet is a cupcake in each hand.

sew4grands
star
sew4grands  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 2/23/09
Send Message

Date: 7/14/13 4:06 PM

Love your new dress, looks cool for summer and you look great in it. I will use my Sure Fit Designs pattern kit to make one for myself.

------
Nancy B.
I sew with 4 Brothers and a Featherweight
Babylock Serger

bonnie1345
bonnie1345
Advanced
Utah USA
Member since 7/1/09
Send Message

Date: 7/14/13 9:52 PM

I've been wearing casual dresses more in summer heat too. I like your dress a lot, and the color is perfect for it.

------
Bonnie
Babylock, Pfaff, Singer Featherweight and more

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Plus Size Sewing >> I am making dresses

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Self Drafted Pattern Designed after Burda 8123

photo
by: julliams

Review
BurdaStyle Magazine 12-2010-111

photo
by: allycovey

Review
PerfectFuse Medium White

PerfectFuse Medium White

Buy Now
Take-Along Bags

Take-Along Bags

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.