SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > thread stands ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
thread stands
gigantic spools of thread
Nikki
starstarstarstar
Nikki  Friend of PR
Advanced
Maryland USA
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 7/13/13 10:22 PM

So I bought a couple of spools of Gutermann thread online, the last time I bought some I got medium large spools (1000 m) that still fit onto the thread holders of my machine. I thought that is what I was buying (although the price seemed a bit higher than last time), but instead a big box came with gigantic spools (5500 m). More thread is good, but the spools are about the size of serger thread spools and do not remotely fit onto my machine, so I need to get a thread stand or something.

Can anyone recommend a good brand or type of thread stand so I can use these huge spools? I see that wawak has some inexpensive ones, but I would like something sturdy because my cat likes to knock things on the floor...

------
mmmmm woooool

Carol Mendoza
star
Carol Mendoza  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/1/06
Send Message

In reply to Nikki <<

Date: 7/13/13 11:04 PM

I have the metal stand but there is another acrylic that seems really nice at the Superior Thread website. Superior Thread stands.
-- Edited on 7/13/13 11:08 PM --

------
Bernina 780; 440QE; Vintage 121; Babylock Evolution

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to Nikki <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/13/13 11:21 PM

My old Pfaff is happy to have a basket or a heavy bowl (smaller diameter pan should work well too)set on the floor behind and just to the outside of the machine with cone thread setting in it. Primitive but functional.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

dfsews

dfsews  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Nebraska USA
Member since 4/17/06
Send Message

Date: 7/13/13 11:24 PM

I have the metal thread stand shown in the link above it. I highly recommend it.
It is very heavy and feeds the thread off well.
I also use it to unwind and measure spools of elastic, ribbon, etc.

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Nikki <<

Date: 7/13/13 11:30 PM

I strongly encourage you to get a stand with a metal base instead of plastic. The plastic, if not placed correctly, will tip over, especially if you sew fast.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

dscheidt

dscheidt
Member since 6/8/09
Send Message

Date: 7/14/13 0:00 AM

If you have an industrial machine shop around, they can sell you a table mounted thread stand. Assuming you don't want to screw it into your table, screw it into a board, and use that to keep from falling down. Cleaner's supply sell them, if you don't have an industrial shop around. They're cheap, less than ten bucks for a two cone holder.

sewdoggie22
star
sewdoggie22  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/6/12
Send Message

Date: 7/14/13 0:33 AM

I pushed my serger over close to the rear of the sewing machine and use the spool holder on it. Thread it through the thread guide on the serger and into your sewing machine.
Also have set the big spool behind the machine if the spool is big enough.

Sharon48
star
Sharon48  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/17/12
Send Message

Date: 7/14/13 1:03 AM

I have the heavy metal stand like in link above and love it for large cones. They are 8.99 at shoppersrule.com right now.

------
Sewing is a passion, so relaxing and calming!

Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Babylock Evolution
Babylock Melody
Viking 190
BLCS-2 (I know, I know - but had
to have it!!)
Babylock Embellisher
Singer 401A

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to Nikki <<

Date: 7/14/13 1:33 AM

You could get a special one, I just like a plain metal one hook stand with a weighted metal base, those are about $16 tops I think.

You do already even have a thread stand though of sorts, it's called your serger :

So if you can set that to the right of your sewing machine, and just stick the thread on there, and up though it's telescoping thread guides and then over and into the sewing machine, that probably would work just as good or better than any single purpose thread stand too. Or at least until you got something else.

Also even a ceramic coffee cup with a coat hanger bent around it and sticking up above it makes a pretty good one too.

-- Edited on 7/14/13 1:35 AM --

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 7/14/13 4:18 AM

You can also set it in a wide cup, bring it up higher than your machine's first threading mechanisms and then down and across to begin threading. A hook on the back wall works or borrow the telescopic extension of your machine or another one set next to it.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> thread stands

Merchants on PR

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

So Vintage Patterns

Thank You for Joining!
Deals!

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Leather 101
Leather 101

Class Details

Online Class
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Class Details

Self Drafted Pattern Designed after Burda 8123

photo
by: julliams

Review
Jackets for Real People DVD

Jackets for Real People DVD

More Info
Sew Chic The Tia Dress Pattern (ln1312)

Sew Chic The Tia Dress Pattern (ln1312)

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.