SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Machine Embroidery > titanium needles ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
titanium needles
too thick?
creative1
star
creative1
Intermediate
International AUSTRALIA
Member since 1/25/06
Send Message

Date: 7/16/13 3:15 AM

Not far ago there was a talk on this thread about titanium embroidery needles. So eventually I bought a pack of titanium- coated embroidery needles called "Wool Lana" №110 (#18) by Madeira. (they are "for a thicker wollen thread"). It is the only type of titanium embroidery needle I was able to find. Now I am thinking that the needles perhaps are too thick. May be to use them to embroider thick plush towels? Or jeans topstitching? I am a bit lost. What do you think?

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
Oregon USA
Member since 8/29/06
Send Message

In reply to creative1 <<

Date: 7/16/13 5:56 AM

Not only is the size 18 needle thick...but the eye is larger as well because it's made for Lana woolen thread...a thick and fluffy thread.

The larger eye may shred your usual threads...but could try it out on a layered denim scrap with some heavy top stitching thread.

I don't do machine embroidery...looked at maderia.com...saw three other Maderia titanium embroidery needle varieties...Universal Embroidery 80/12, Metallic 90/14 and Glamour 100/16.

So...from where the Wool Lana was purchased...it didn't have the others?

You mentioned you bought a pack...so just one pack (which has 3 needles, right?)...you will use them up when needing something for thick layers and thick thread.

Edited a typo...pesky typos!
-- Edited on 7/16/13 12:47 PM --

creative1
star
creative1
Intermediate
International AUSTRALIA
Member since 1/25/06
Send Message

In reply to bestgrammy <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/16/13 9:02 AM

Thanks for the reply! No there's the only one type available, and yes, it is a three needle pack.
After you mentioned I checked the Madeira site: http://threads.madeira.de/threads/accessories-and-sewing-aids/titanium-machine-needles.html
They have four titanium embroidery needles, sizes from #80 to #110, and my needles are the thickest.(((
I may go back to buy some Lana wool embroidery thread and try to embroider on a jumper. Something nice may come out, who knows!

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 7/16/13 10:17 AM

You can get Organ brand Titanium coated needles in more than one size.

I first purchased these from Allbrands (see website) for embroidering when using stabilizers with adhesive. The coating helps keep the needle cooler so the adhesive does not soften and gum up the thread and needle.

They worked so well, that I use nothing else for machine embroidery and occasionally for the sewing machine.

-- Edited on 7/16/13 10:19 AM --

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Karen31
star
Karen31  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 1/25/09
Send Message

Date: 7/16/13 11:41 AM

Klasse and I think Schmetz carry titanium embroidery needles, readily available at retail stores and machine dealers, most common size used seems to be 80. We've also had great success with topstitch needles for embroidery, sometimes better than embroidery specific needles!

------
Karen

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
Oregon USA
Member since 8/29/06
Send Message

In reply to creative1 <<

Date: 7/16/13 12:40 PM

Yes...four in total...I wrote "three other"...meaning in addition to the Wool Lana.

As you said, something nice may come out...a new style for your embroidery...fluffy.

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
Oregon USA
Member since 8/29/06
Send Message

Date: 7/16/13 1:30 PM

link didn't work edited out
-- Edited on 7/16/13 1:38 PM --

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
Oregon USA
Member since 8/29/06
Send Message

Date: 7/16/13 1:41 PM

Here's a link to look at: Discount Embroidery Supply

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
Oregon USA
Member since 8/29/06
Send Message

Date: 7/16/13 1:52 PM

Another website to look at: ctsusa.com

MegquiltsinVT

MegquiltsinVT
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 6/3/09
Send Message

Date: 7/16/13 5:10 PM

I tried Klasse needles a few years back. I found them to be awfully brittle - I never broke so many needles so quickly. I gave up on them, but wonder if they may have improved in quality now.

------
Pfaff QE4.0, 1222E, 796
Janome 1000cpx, 1110 dcx
Singer Featherweight, grandmother's treadle
New Home treadle

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> titanium needles

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Class Details

Online Class
Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Class Details

Vogue Patterns 1300

photo
by: Westy85

Review
Christine Jonson Three Tees

Christine Jonson Three Tees

More Info
Shapes Nine Lives Vest Pattern

Shapes Nine Lives Vest Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.