SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Fabrics and more... > jersey fabric ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
jersey fabric
suzykue
suzykue  Friend of PR
Beginner
Member since 2/5/13
Send Message

Date: 7/23/13 7:48 AM

what is an easy to work with jersey fabric?

nancy2001
starstarstarstar
nancy2001  Friend of PR
Advanced
Alabama USA
Member since 12/3/05
Send Message

In reply to suzykue <<

Date: 7/23/13 8:14 AM

Polyester/lycra ITY knit is relatively easy to sew. Nancy's Notion's Brazil Knit is a good one to try.

------
No sewing project is ever a complete success nor a total failure.

JKimes
star
JKimes  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
Texas USA
Member since 11/4/05
Send Message

In reply to suzykue <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/23/13 12:17 PM

I'd say cotton is the easiest. Any rayon will be slinky and hard to manage.
I prefer some lycra in my knits, but 100% cotton will be the most stable/forgiving to work with.

Good luck!

Juliette

------
Juliette near Austin, TX
Bernina 830LE
Bernina 350PE
Babylock Evolution
ElnaPro 905DCX

lelliebunny
star
lelliebunny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/24/12
Send Message

Date: 7/23/13 12:30 PM

i just made one 95/5 cotton/lycra that was FAR easier to work with than the 95/5 rayon/spandex one that i had tried previously.

as my first jersey knit top, i think rayon/spandex was a very bad choice for me. it is slippery and stretches terribly out of shape. the cotton blend held it shape and was very easy to sew with.

i ordered some of the laguna stretch cotton by robert kaufman, and it washed really well and didn't stretch when i cut it out (i haven't sewn it yet). :)

------
it doesn't matter what type of sewing you do. you are sewing, and sewing is good.

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to suzykue <<

Date: 7/23/13 1:29 PM

Cotton/lycra has a more stiffer hand than a rayon/lycra or poly/lycra, often making it easier to sew. I would advise against 100% any fabric; lycra is what gives the fabric the ability to recover when stretched.

My personal preferred jersey knit is rayon/lycra.

You can order fabric swatches from many different places; Christine Jonson has knit fabric swatch collections for a nominal price. They are large enough to sew some seams on and get a feel for what you prefer.

CJ swatches

IMO, the very best rayon/lycra fabrics are from Emma One Sock; she supplies large samples at minimal or no cost.

EOS rayon/lycra
-- Edited on 7/23/13 1:34 PM --

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

In reply to suzykue <<

Date: 7/23/13 6:38 PM

I hate wearing any polyester knit, so my choice would be a cotton knit as well. In fact one of my first successful knit tops was a cotton knit without lycra. I sew a lot of rayon lycra jerseys, but they can be harder to begin with.
The only issue I have with cotton lycra is that the edges tend to roll making it harder to sew.
Marcy Tilton has some very good tips on sewing with knits on her website. There are also 3 or 4 classes on sewing knits on Craftsy.com. I haven't taken any of the knit classes, but I've really enjoyed most of the classes that I've taken there.

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

Rhoda K
star
Rhoda K  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Alabama USA
Member since 8/22/05
Send Message

Date: 7/23/13 7:50 PM

I just received my order of a rayon cotton blend jersey from Mood Fabrics so I'm curious to see how it does. I don't know the percentages and not sure how I'll wash it but I'll check my Claire Schaeffer book on fabrics. It seems to be a bit heavy for a top so I may make a cardi or use it for winter.

sewdoggie22
star
sewdoggie22  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/6/12
Send Message

Date: 7/24/13 0:41 AM

It can be a little bit of a puzzle trying to decided which side is the 'right' side of the fabric. Remember, it rolls right. When you stretch the fabric it will roll toward to right side of the fabric.

Also using a little wonder tape to hold the seams together to start sewing make it really easy to sew. Only need about an inch of tape. It washes out easily.

Hauteaway
star
Hauteaway  Friend of PR
Beginner
California USA
Member since 9/5/10
Send Message

Date: 7/24/13 0:55 AM

This thread is restoring my sanity. With little to no experience with knits, I picked an inexpensive 95/5 rayon/spandex to make a wearable muslin. I don't expect much from this top but I didn't expect it to be so hard to work with. I'm glad it's not just me.

------
YAN: Yet Another Nancy

suzykue
suzykue  Friend of PR
Beginner
Member since 2/5/13
Send Message

Date: 7/24/13 4:44 AM

after years of not sewing, I decided to make a top using some jersey, it was so hard to work with, I felt like I had never sewed before. I was just totally frustrated with it. So I want to make it again with some jersey that I can work with. Thanks for the suggestions.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> jersey fabric

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns
Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns

Register

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

New Look 6816

photo
by: charid daw...

Review

Pattern

Sew Liberated Woodlands Shirt

Sew Liberated Woodlands Shirt

Buy Now
Favorite Things Nightie Night Pattern

Favorite Things Nightie Night Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.