SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Quilters' Corner > It's a sad day when a seam ripper grows dull! ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
It's a sad day when a seam ripper grows dull!
Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 7/24/13 0:13 AM

I discovered a badly cut charm from a charm pack while piecing a baby quilt recently. I picked up my seam ripper to remove the errant charm and discovered that it was pulling threads rather than cutting them... I pulled a few more threads, no, definitely dull... Sigh... I could only sit back and ponder this nagging problem. Likely thinking too much about it rather than dig through my notions for another I am sure is buried somewhere...

Have I ripped so many seams that my seam ripper has grown so dull? Does mean I am a perfectionist? Does it mean it can only cut so many stitches before it needs replacing? Is it a reflection on my sewing? Are some threads more prone to dulling an edge than others? Can they build a better seam ripper? Should they? I should just throw it away and move on... No, but wait! This was my first seam ripper likely in my sewing box for years… 25 maybe 30 years! I can't throw it away! Well now, that is an old seam ripper.... I think of the early Mac computers I saw in the Smithsonian Institute, Remember the old Mac SE. That was my first computer too! Ugh! Should I send my seam ripper to the Smithsonian to go into the archive of Sewing Notions. Wow! Would you go to see an exhibit like that... probably not. But my sewing room is full of useful things, why should I hang onto it if it's dull? I look at my dog who is curled on the floor at the end of my sewing table... he certainly doesn't have anything to say and would never know any difference... nor would DH... and neither would you if I had not shared.

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 5/9/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Subject: Its a sad day when a seam ripper grows dull! Date: 7/24/13 1:27 AM

seam rippers are inherently disposable.

------
Bernina B330
Feet: 1,2,3,3A,4,5,7,8,10,13,16,18,20, 29,32,35,37,50,64,70,71,82,85,86, 92

iSewQuiltArt
star
iSewQuiltArt
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 4/4/08
Send Message

Subject: Its a sad day when a seam ripper grows dull! Date: 7/24/13 4:27 AM

Yes they're not made to last forever. But I do have the first seam ripper I ever owned from childhood. My brother gave it to me one Christmas when I was small (he has since passed away) so I hold onto it even though it is too dull to cut threads anymore. I use it as a "better finger" or like an awl to hold tricky bits on the lead up to the sewing machine needle. Its sentimental and still useful, although no longer for ripping seams.

------
Quilting up a storm
Bernina Girl, in possession of a small herd...

aprilla
aprilla
Beginner
Member since 6/2/12
Send Message

Subject: Its a sad day when a seam ripper grows dull! Date: 7/24/13 4:34 AM

A sad day indeed :(

Julkane
star
Julkane  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 9/14/07
Send Message

Date: 7/24/13 7:50 AM

Well this certainly made me smile. I have so many dull seam rippers but cannot seem to part with them. Each new machine comes with one and then I buy any new fangled one I see at the sewing expos and stores. I always think the newest one will be the best but alas, it never stays the favorite for long. Probably because it becomes dull; obviously I rip alot of seams!!

------
Elna Excellence 740, Pfaff Quilt expression 4.0, Janome 300E, Brother 8500D, Babylock Ellageo, Janome 900CPX CoverPro, Brother 5234 Project Runway Serger, Singer Treadle, Singer 66, Singer 99

http://juliannasjourney.blogspot.com/

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to Warbler <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/24/13 8:25 AM

I have kept all my old and dull seam rippers.. as I am convinced that there has to be a way to sharpen them just haven't had the time to figure out how.. But I will say I don't think I am the only one that makes it a habit to buy a couple every time they have a notions sale..
So.. has anyone ever tried to resharpen them ?

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
online now
Send Message

In reply to Warbler <<

Date: 7/24/13 8:28 AM

Pamdamour.com (The Decorating Diva). Her brass seam ripper (under products/notions, and 3/4 way down the page) is $18.00 I've only had mine a year, so I can't attest to the claim that it will be the last one you buy. I got mine on her stuff your stocking special last year -- you got the awl and the ripper both for a reduced price. You might want to sign up for her newsletters etc, and wait for a deal on it. And, of course it's not the last one you'll buy because you'd never want this baby to leave your home.

But, I LOVE mine. It's super sharp, though -- so like my little Kai embroidery scissors, you could hurt yourself or your fabric. And for those with hand problems it's not very ergonomic. But, it's still as sharp as the day I purchased after a year, and I have no problems holding it, nor do I find it difficult to maneuver.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

Subject: Its a sad day when a seam ripper grows dull! Date: 7/24/13 10:05 AM

Ha. I lose mine before they can get very old. 25 years - you might be a winner. I took a Craftsy class with Angela Wolf and she talked about seam rippers and how everyone keeps them. She replaces hers almost every week.

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
online now
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 7/24/13 10:05 AM

LOL! I am guilty of holding onto dull seam rippers too.

Why? I honestly couldn't tell you! I guess I am thinking the seam ripper sharpener fairy will come visit while I am sleeping.

Hasn't happened yet, but you never know!

------
Cathryn

lelliebunny
star
lelliebunny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/24/12
Send Message

Date: 7/24/13 10:17 AM

I keep 3-4 of my fav ones on hand as backups for when I toss the dull ones. I don't use the one that comes with my machines because I don't want them to get dull. :)

My fav is the Clover 482/W. When one of my local stores has a better price than amazon, I will buy from them (I usually can find it cheaper locally). Otherwise, I will just order a couple of them at a time from amazon.

------
it doesn't matter what type of sewing you do. you are sewing, and sewing is good.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> It's a sad day when a seam ripper grows dull!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 02-2008-103

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
Favorite Things The Classic Shirt Pattern

Favorite Things The Classic Shirt Pattern

Buy Now
Sewn Square One Paper Bag Pant Pattern

Sewn Square One Paper Bag Pant Pattern

Buy Now
BurdaStyle Downloadable 6051

photo
by: sertyan

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.