SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Machines > Looking for a new machine ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Looking for a new machine
Options Brother qc2000, vx3000, juki f600 or janome 6600
Sew delightful
Sew delightful
Intermediate
Member since 6/21/13
Send Message

Date: 7/25/13 6:19 AM

Hi I am new to the forum and I would love advice from members with any of the above machines as to opinions and experiences.

I am wanting a machine that is easy for my hands to use (due to health problems) and something that I can learn new techniques/skills.
My past machines are mostly vintage and require lifting to oil underneath which I can no longer do and the newer ones I own (approx 8 and 10years) are hesitant when sewing denims or laces/tulle, creating birds nests or jamming the needle.

I am open to brands and have had a demo on the brother qc2000 and juki f600. I know they are not all priced alike, I am happy to save so I can just get the right machine to allow me to sew with my hand problems, but also help me sew denims, tulle and let me learn quilting and other new techniques.

What is also likely to last longer and less likely to have issues too?

Many thanks, I look forward to reading the replies.

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to Sew delightful <<

Date: 7/25/13 9:28 AM

Did you look under machine reviews here, there is a lot of info there.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

mgmsrk1
mgmsrk1
Intermediate
Member since 12/16/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/25/13 12:21 PM

I have the Janome 6600 and the Juki 600. I like the Juki much better, it is less fussy and sews heavy items much better. The box feed really does feed better and is far less likely to eat fabric when sewing narrow seams or light weight fabrics.

Once I get around to it I plan on selling my 6600 and someday updating to a 7700 for the additional harp space, unless Juki comes out with a 12" harp machine.

------
1968 Kenmore 158. (AKA The Hulk)
Bernina 230
Janome 6600 (for sale)
Janome 7700
Juki 600
Elna serger
Kenmore serger
Janome 1000 CoverStitch
Juki 8500 Industerial

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 7/25/13 12:33 PM

If you want to sew large items or quilt (not just piece, but actually quilt), then it would be good to have a machine with a large harp for the excess fabric that will need to be to the right of the needle and will feed effortlessly through the machine.

Do your test drives of the machine and also note how accommodating the dealer and staff are when showing, demoing and answering questions.

When I find a super great dealer, brands don't matter as long as he/she has a model that fits my need.

-- Edited on 7/25/13 12:34 PM --

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 3/4/05
online now
Send Message

Date: 7/25/13 1:19 PM

I am guessing you are in Australia? as the Brother QC-2000 is known as the NX-2000 in the U.S.

What did you think of the Brother and Juki that you tried? I was having an issue with my hands and I've focused on machines where I didn't have to always be raising the presser foot with the lever in back. The Brother can be programmed to automatically do this for you. I had the Brother QC-1000 for awhile and it is a beautiful machine. I felt the needle was a bit far back but it does have an expansive work space. I moved to a Bernina with a knee lift but felt cramped with the work area and I was not crazy about the knee lever so I searched for another machine with the auto presser foot lift.

I really like Pfaff but a Viking dealer was closest to me and I ended up with a Sapphire 875Q. The needle is up front. I don't have to unscrew the needle plate when cleaning or changing, it just pops off...another hand saver. Pfaff has this, too. The presser foot lifts and lowers on its own if I program it to do so or I can just press a button on the front of the machine. Brother has this feature, too. No oiling on the Viking. Most computerized machines today simply need a drop of oil in the bobbin area.

Another feature of the Brother is the ability to update the machine through your computer, though they don't have many updates. Many of today's higher-end machines are update-able, some you have to take to a dealer to have it done.

I like the knobs on the Juki F600 for changing the stitch length and width...no pressing buttons. The works space is larger on the Brother, though. Personally, I like the matte surface on my Viking, which Pfaff has also. Berninas have a smooth, non-shiny surface also but for the features, the Brother has so much to offer for the price.
-- Edited on 7/25/13 2:53 PM --

Sew delightful
Sew delightful
Intermediate
Member since 6/21/13
Send Message

In reply to karen149 <<

Date: 7/25/13 10:03 PM

Hi Karen, Yes I am in Australia, I only just found out on this forum on another post that the qc2000 is named differently in the US.

Thanks for the details. Your information really helps. Initially I was wondering if the juki would be a better option and cheaper, but I am having a bad day with my hands today so it has made me rethink things as I know on a bad day if I need to sew I would have trouble with the presser foot lever.
I dont have any pfaff or viking dealers anywhere within an hours drive of here. The brother dealer I saw the other day also said that the brother model I looked at was made by babylock. Not sure how correct that is but I am thinking this might be the machine or at least brand I end up with. I really just need something easy on my hands to use.

Thanks again

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 3/4/05
online now
Send Message

Date: 7/25/13 10:43 PM

As far as who makes Brother, it's the other way around. BabyLock contracts Brother to make machines, the mid to high-end models. You can see the similarities between the two with a few differences in stitch selections.

The Juki and Brother do have knee levers, with the option of manually lowering and raising via the lever in back. Sometimes I wish Viking had kept a lever in back for when you want to fine-tune exactly where you want to drop the presser foot before sewing. They are both excellent values for what they offer. Juki has some unique decorative applique stitches.

Brotherlover
star
Brotherlover
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 10/7/07
Send Message

Date: 7/25/13 11:10 PM

is the vx 3000 the dreamweaver here, if it is I would go with that one, my dreamweaver sews anything I throw at it. It went through six layers of denim flawlessly, doesn't hesitate. I had the qc-1000 and I think the dreamweaver is more powerful when it comes to thick layers and difficult materials. the QC is a good machine and I loved mine while I had it. I hear juki's are very powerful

------
Brother XL-3500i
SQ-9050
Dreamweaver VM6200D

Brotherlover
star
Brotherlover
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 10/7/07
Send Message

is the vx 3000 the dreamweaver here, if it is I would go with that one, my dreamweaver sews anything I throw at it. It went through six layers of denim flawlessly, doesn't hesitate. I had the qc-1000 and I think the dreamweaver is more powerful when it comes to thick layers and difficult materials. the QC is a good machine and I loved mine while I had it. I hear juki's are very powerful

------
Brother XL-3500i
SQ-9050
Dreamweaver VM6200D

Brotherlover
star
Brotherlover
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 10/7/07
Send Message

------
Brother XL-3500i
SQ-9050
Dreamweaver VM6200D

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Looking for a new machine

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Class Details

Online Class
Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Class Details

J Stern Designs Top with two collars and a Peplum Pattern

J Stern Designs Top with two collars and a Peplum Pattern

More Info
SewBaby Easy Pieces Jumper Pattern

SewBaby Easy Pieces Jumper Pattern

More Info
BurdaStyle Magazine 12-2011-107

photo
by: j Renee De...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.