SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Spaces > Flooring in the sewing room ( Moderated by Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Flooring in the sewing room
remodeling and need advice for bad feet!
SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/25/13 1:42 PM

Getting new flooring. I cannot go laminate. Our hallway is engineered exotic hardwood, and it will be impossible to match it with laminate. The stuff is gorgeous, but scratches if you look at it, so it's really not a good option for a sewing room.
Presently I have basic carpet. I like the carpet in that it's soft. I have horrid feet, and my ankles start hurting if I'm on them for very long.
DH is recommending a commercial type carpeting, so that I still have the padding, but a much shorter nap will help with pins and thread embedding in there. Vinyl is another option. Not sure about the pricing of cork, but if it's higher than vinyl or carpet, it's out.
So, I'd love to know what you have, and how kind or not it is on the feet.
I'm leaning toward vinyl, and just using cushy mats.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to SouthernStitch <<

Date: 7/25/13 2:25 PM

Armstrong continuous vinyl flooring - the really good stuff and padding. We did this in the kitchen-dining area and I LOVE it - it looks like hardwood but is way easier to clean. You can of course get it in many lovely patterns and colors. I have hardwood in the room I sew in. One word for bamboo here too, it is a lovely flooring - have seen this in place and love it.

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

justgail

justgail
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 1/19/06
Send Message

Date: 7/25/13 2:32 PM

We have laminate in the kitchen & hall for 10 years with no scratch issues, but I don't know how it would work with rolling chairs, etc. It WILL chip if you drop something hard and heavy on it though
It's held up to the dog, cats, DS skidding around corners very well.

I have a very low pile carpet in the sewing room with a hard mat at the machine table. I don't recall if it has its own pad like commercial carpet or a separate pad. I think I need something even sturdier for the mat, as the chair creates dimples in the mat and it's hard to move out of them. I'd rather have a hard floor for easier rolling and cleaning and wear some cushy socks or slippers to keep my feet happy. It's also hard to move the cutting table (one from Joann) because the wheels sink in and I need to reach under and lift up on the legs. I don't dare lift up on the top, those screws in the particle board top aren't meant for much abuse like that.

I know you said laminate is out, but just wanted to comment that laminate comes in tile patterns also, which is what we have.

Carol Mendoza
star
Carol Mendoza  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Louisiana USA
Member since 5/1/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/25/13 2:45 PM

I have stained concrete in my sewing room and wear cushiony flip flops while cutting or ironing. That helps the feet and knees! Actually I used to have carpeting in there, but my dog had a little (actually BIG) accident and the only way we could figure out to fix it was rip the carpet out. I couldn't afford to replace it, so we stained it! Pins and threads, etc are really easy to see.

------
Bernina 730E; 440QE; Vintage 121; Babylock Evolution

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 7/25/13 2:53 PM

I have wood in my sewing room, but if you have really bad feet you might consider getting floor mats that they use in restaurant kitchens at your cutting table and in front of your ironing board. They are meant for the long standing that chefs have to do. Cork is a very nice floor and quite durable; I don't know if it is more resilient than wood flooring.

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 7/25/13 7:25 PM

Great suggestions. Muffet, I asked about the Armstrong Cushion Step, and the guy told me he has other brands which are even more cushy than that. The contractor wants us to go to this wholesale flooring place to choose the flooring. I'll have to ask about it.

I had no idea that laminate came in patterns. That's an option too!
Is cork expensive?

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

Julkane
star
Julkane  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 9/14/07
Send Message

Date: 7/25/13 7:34 PM

Well you know that I went with laminate and I must say my wheeled chair was a pain on carpeting. I had one of those hard plastic mats so that it would roll but it still got ruts in the plastic. I think you should go to the wholesale flooring place and see what options they have and suggest. Then you can bring home samples and see what it would look like next to your hallway. Keep your mind open to their suggestions; sometimes the experts have great ideas that we have not thought of. Good luck in your hunt as I love the hunt.

------
Elna Excellence 740, Pfaff Quilt expression 4.0, Janome 300E, Brother 8500D, Babylock Ellageo, Janome 900CPX CoverPro, Brother 5234 Project Runway Serger, Singer Treadle, Singer 66, Singer 99

http://juliannasjourney.blogspot.com/

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

Date: 7/25/13 10:53 PM

I can only tell you that Home Depot has cork.. they could give you a ballpark price. If you look around you could probably beat their price even.

My sewing room.. well .. it was a problem.. I knew carpeting was totally out .. not even an option in the best of circumstances with my zoo..

So.. we put down a subfloor of plywood.. then just plain old lumberyard pine boards.. in different widths.. sealed them twice.. did not stain.. as the color came thru with the sealing.. The greatest thing is we could easily do that ourselves.. and when the dogs .. or me.. destroys a piece we just pick it up .. toss it out.. and replace it with a new board.. Amazingly enough.. this stuff looks even better distressed..

PS. Did I mention I work cheap.. as in just the cost of a certain PINK machine..

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 7/26/13 0:57 AM

I'm putting new flooring in my daylight basement which includes my sewing room. I'm using tile for the wet spaces and coordinating laminate that looks like tile for the other rooms. My floor also butts up to a wooden staircase, so I understand the matching thing. I looked at cork and it's beautiful, I didn't realize it comes in so many colors and patterns. Currently I have vinyl...it's a very high grade armstrong. It's very cold because my floor is a concrete slab, it also has several cuts in it from dropping a pair of scissors.
My very first sewing room had industrial carpet, and I think it worked pretty well.
Mine was dense and plush, so pins didn't get lost in it, but it wasn't cheap. I didn't have a rolling chair back then, dont you need a mat under it.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

LisaInAlabama
star
LisaInAlabama  Friend of PR
Beginner
Alabama USA
Member since 7/10/13
Send Message

Date: 7/26/13 1:19 AM

I have hated my carpet in my sewing room for 12 years, but now that we're really getting ready to replace it, I'm worried. I selected a hardwood. I already use shock absorbers in my athletic shoes and keep a clean pair in the sewing room. I use magnets to find the pins I drop. I had planned to put down the anti-fatigue mats on top of the hardwood. But then I noticed how often I drop my tools. Scissors almost always point down, bobbin cases bouncing. I'm starting to worry how much in tools a hard floor will cost me. So I'm stuck again.

I have enough of those floor protector hard plastic mats on the carpet that my rolling chairs work. I'm thinking maybe I'll stay with carpet.

------
Beginner, maybe Advanced Beginner
I've been doing machine embroidery for 10 years, but I'm always a beginner because I'm always trying to things I don't yet know how to do!

UFOs completed in 2014: 5
Projects started recently completed in 2014: 6

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Spaces >> Flooring in the sewing room

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Kwik Sew 2952

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
J Stern Designs The Tee Pattern

J Stern Designs The Tee Pattern

Buy Now
Petite Plus D202 DVD

Petite Plus D202 DVD

Buy Now
Vogue Patterns 8565

photo
by: Deepika

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.