SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Is it normal? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Is it normal?
Spiders and all?
Terri A
starstarstar
Terri A  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 1/16/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/26/13 7:42 PM

I have never bought a machine from eBay before, and I talked the price down because it's in miserable shape from $60 plus $25 shipping to about $20 but it arrived today a complete mess, really damaged and missing more parts than I could see from the photos and description and full of webs and a big dead spider....
Glad I opened the box outside...
Is this par for the course with eBay?
-- Edited on 7/26/13 7:47 PM --

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Beginner
VA USA
Member since 5/9/09
Send Message

Date: 7/26/13 7:56 PM

I order a lot of stuff from eBay. Worst I've gotten was a musty smelling book.

I can't remember why I decided to tempt fate and order a camera lens that was "missing a front lens cap," but it was bubble wrapped, and miraculously survived.

Spiders and shipping damage are grounds four unfavorable feedback, or at the very least, a stern note to the seller IMHO.
-- Edited on 7/26/13 7:56 PM --

------
Bernina B330
Feet: 1,2,3,3A,4,5,7,8,10,13,16,18,20, 29,32,35,37,50,64,70,71,82,85,86, 92

Kwaaked
Kwaaked
Member since 9/25/12
Send Message

Date: 7/26/13 7:56 PM

No. I bought a TOL machine from a dealer that knew nothing about it, but it was pristine and I bought several vintage from there that were in mint condition.

Terri A
starstarstar
Terri A  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 1/16/08
Send Message

Date: 7/26/13 8:22 PM

Well this poor thing has been pretty abused. I'll just mess with it and see what I can do with it. It smells too. I need to find the other threads on musty old machines and how to get odor out...

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Terri A <<

Date: 7/26/13 8:53 PM

I'd leave negative feedback, or neutral, if you want to be kind and if the ad didn't state the exact cleanliness of the machine.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

MartiP
MartiP  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/5/12
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 7/26/13 9:10 PM

Usually a seller will state a return policy. I would check that first.
Secondly, you should communicate through eBay's messaging system (so eBay has a record of that communication) with the seller about the matter before you just give him a negative. If you don't get an answer that is satisfacory, I believe you can file a dispute with eBay.
But before you do anything, reread the description and be sure it doesn't say "as is" or is inaccurate. I would print out a copy of the auction description.

------
MartiP

Ruckertt's Law; There is nothing so small that it can't be blown out of proportion.

Bernina 1230 Bernette 007D
Brother CS6000i Brother 2340 CV
New Home L372
Singer 221K (off white)
U.S Blindstitch, Model SL 718/2D
Simplicity SE2
Brother 700II

PortlandMaine
star
PortlandMaine  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
ME USA
Member since 1/29/11
Send Message

thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 7/26/13 9:13 PM

Because the item was only a few bucks I would take it as a lesson learned and leave positive feedback - I bought and sold dishes online for years .. Ive been on both sides of this issue. Ive bought crap hoping it was gold - and buyers have bought things that the listing said had chips and complained that they arrived as stated,

Ethically, u can only leave bad feedback if the item was not as it was described.

My guess is - because the seller was willing to sell for cheap -- both parties knew it was a mess of a machine.

------
Quilting up a storm!

AminaHijabi
star
AminaHijabi
Advanced Beginner
Member since 10/22/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/26/13 11:10 PM

things sold as-is are exactly that, as is. It is a bit weird to have someone sell stuff with cobwebs and a big spider, but you did know it was in miserable condition to begin with and you bought it as-is. Ebay is like a big internet garage sale. I've seen some pretty.. uhh... errr... stuff at garage sales too, even at thrift shops. So long as it wasn't advertised as pristine and perfect working condition then what can you do? I wouldn't say it's par for the course, but it happens.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 7/26/13 11:36 PM

Why did you buy this? Did the seller have an excellent rating? Send it back for a refund.

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
OR USA
Member since 8/29/06
Send Message

In reply to Terri A <<

Date: 7/26/13 11:53 PM

Quote: Terri A
...I talked the price down because it's in miserable shape from $60 plus $25 shipping to about $20 but it arrived today a complete mess, really damaged and missing more parts than I could see from the photos and description...
Is this par for the course with eBay?

Need clarification about you could tell it was "in miserable shape" so you talked down the price from $60 plus shipping...to about $20. Is that the total cost?

Then it arrived in "a mess"...and "really damaged"...so is it in even worse shape than you expected...or was it even more damaged in shipping...or both?

About this being par for the course with eBay...I've seen some vendors show a lot of good pictures...some even have a video of the machine actually sewing all stitch functions and winding a bobbin.

Then there are other listings in which the vendor says something like this: the light comes on, the motor makes a noise so the machine probably sews well...but not being a sewing machine expert that's all that can be said.

Really!! The seller does not even say that the needle bar moves...and what about that motor "noise"...LOL...that could be like a scream or a purr...but which one??

Asking the seller questions is a good sign of someone being up front with accurate info...or not. A question to a seller about whether the sm included its foot pedal...because it was not pictured and not mentioned in the description got a reply so vague and double talked that I passed on that very quickly.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Is it normal?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Vogue Patterns 1325

photo
by: PattyE

Review
New Look 6205

photo
by: Saint Nolt...

Review
Petite Plus 150 Pattern

Petite Plus 150 Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Mimosa Top & Pants Pattern

Sewing Workshop Mimosa Top & Pants Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.