SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Easiest way to finish a Minky blanket? ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Easiest way to finish a Minky blanket?
Chemical
Chemical
Beginner
Member since 1/23/08
Send Message

Date: 7/27/13 9:27 AM

Fabric.com has Minky on sale ($7.98 for double sided spa Minky, $9.98 for Cuddle 3) and I was thinking of picking up some of their Cuddle 3 to make a blanket. I did a little searching and found out that Minky likes to stretch a lot when sewn so I'm wondering what the easiest way to finish the raw edges would be. Can I just turn the edges under? All the sewing tutorials that deal with Minky seem more ambitious than the very modest project I have in mind (I just want a snuggly blanket, it doesn't have to look amazing :D).

------
Not keeping track of my stash anymore... just trying to sew it up and not buy more!!!

ConnieBJ
starstar
ConnieBJ  Friend of PR
Advanced
Ontario Canada
Member since 12/31/03
Contest Committee
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/27/13 10:19 AM

I prefer a bias bound edge, but it really is personal preference.

------
Connie Bontje

http://www.couturesmith.com
Twitter: Couturesmith
Facebook: Connie Bontje
Desperately trying to keep ahead of my pattern, fabric and dressform collection!

joyoussprite
star
joyoussprite
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 12/6/05
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/27/13 11:30 AM

I just turned the edges on a quilt I made (backed with Minky). It worked just fine. I love Minky with cotton fabrics or by itself. Sewing Minky to Minky, though, was hell on Earth. Just food for thought.

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 7/27/13 12:15 PM

If I'm using double sided I like to round the corners and use foldover elastic to bind the edges. I've also made blankets with square corners and made the hem about 2" wide and used zigzag stitch close to the edge. Loosen the presser foot pressure if you can, that will help prevent stretching/waviness.
If you're using single sided, they need a backing because the back will pill.
Here's a free tutorial to make minky baby blankets using several different techniques, but it's the same for something larger. You'll have to create an account, but they have lots of freebie projects.minkee blanket tutorial
-- Edited on 7/27/13 12:20 PM --

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

Date: 7/27/13 12:59 PM

I'm curious about this too as I've never sewn Minkee.
Can the edges be serged successfully?

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

Date: 7/27/13 12:59 PM

I'm curious about this too as I've never sewn Minkee.
Can the edges be serged successfully?

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

sewdoggie22
star
sewdoggie22  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/6/12
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/28/13 0:43 AM

If minky is like cuddle fabric, be careful where you cut it. It flies all over the place. I used the vacuum cleaner running while I cut it to catch all the fuzzies. Then, carefully fold it and take it outside to shake all the rest of the fuzzies off. It's a wonderful fabric and nice, warm cuddly, but a mess when cutting. I couldn't believe how far the fuzzy flew before I used the vacuum cleaner while cutting.

jkmom19
star
jkmom19  Friend of PR
Member since 2/5/12
Send Message

Date: 7/28/13 0:46 AM

I've serged minky. I don't think it's really that difficult to work with. It does make a mess though.

Sharon48
star
Sharon48  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/17/12
Send Message

Date: 7/28/13 1:37 AM

I have sewn and serged minky. I have had no problems with it, but it is messy as others have said. I too cut it and then take it outside to shake out. I prefer to put a binding around my blankets. I put a soft flannel on reverse side and do rows of quilting (about 8" - 10" apart) both width and length......really cute!

------
Sewing is a passion, so relaxing and calming!

Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Babylock Evolution
Babylock Melody
Viking 190
BLCS-2 (I know, I know - but had
to have it!!)
Babylock Embellisher
Singer 401A

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

Date: 7/28/13 8:46 AM

I found a great site with lots of info and photos of minkee projects.
HERE.

------
Linda

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Easiest way to finish a Minky blanket?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Christine Jonson Cuff Pant

Christine Jonson Cuff Pant

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Aida Top Pattern

Sew Liberated Aida Top Pattern

Buy Now
No Pattern Used couch slip cover

photo
by: Passion4Se...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.