SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers > Elasticator question ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Elasticator question
Can I let it do the work?
mitchs'mom
star
mitchs'mom
Member since 11/25/05
Send Message

Date: 7/28/13 1:59 PM

I have to make a fitted vinyl table cloth. I am using Michael Miller laminated fabric so I can't screw this up. I want to use the elasticator on my Kenmore (Janome) serger. I measured a piece of fabric 10 inches long and cut a length of elastic 10 inches long. After I ran the fabric and elastic through the serger, the fabric gathered measures roughly 7 inches with a remaining tail of elastic of 3 inches. When I pull the fabric taut it measures 10 inches.
My question is: Is it necessary for me to measure and mark the elastic and fabric like I would if I were using a sewing machine or can I just use the elastic off the roll and let the machine do the work? BTW the total inches around the table cloth are 307 if that makes a difference.

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to mitchs'mom <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/28/13 5:01 PM

The idea is, you let it do the work for you. Of course just like a ruffler or anything else, it really depends a huge, whole lot, on where you set it at and just your fabric and stitch length and everything else too. Also probably where your differential feed is cranked up to also. So when you let something like that, do the work for you, it's not an exact thing, or an exact science at all, even if you do samples and measure all those first. But of course do samples and see what happens.
-- Edited on 7/28/13 5:01 PM --

If it's a round table cloth, maybe you want it with elastic pulling it in, all around, or maybe if it's square or rectangular, you only want that happening on the more angled corner edges of it, more like a fitted bed sheet?
-- Edited on 7/28/13 5:05 PM --

mitchs'mom
star
mitchs'mom
Member since 11/25/05
Send Message

Date: 7/28/13 5:36 PM

It is an 8 foot table so I was going to run the elastic the whole way around so it doesn't sag. I just want to make sure I have enough stretch for the cover to fit once the elastic is on. Too big I can fix, too small will be a bit more difficult.

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 7/29/13 2:15 AM

By the time I figured out the formula, it was easier to just serge or sew the elastic with a regular foot. I often preferred using my sewing machine because it has a needle down, so if I have to adjust the fabric or elastic it doesn't slip.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 7/29/13 2:16 AM

double post, whoops
-- Edited on 7/29/13 2:16 AM --

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

mitchs'mom
star
mitchs'mom
Member since 11/25/05
Send Message

Date: 7/29/13 5:52 AM

I just went for it. If it doesn't fit, so be it. It is really hard trying to fit something to a piece of furniture you have never seen.

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 7/29/13 6:33 AM

I always have that mental dilemma. I bought the elastic serger foot thinking it would make my life easier but except for testing it out have never used it. I guess I need the feeling of being in control with the final outcome.
Makes me wonder. Do others use this foot routinely and if so what do they make?

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

SunnyAlta
SunnyAlta
Intermediate
Member since 7/11/10
Send Message

Date: 7/29/13 11:58 AM

I did not purchase an elasticator when buying my serger. Only thought of one a few times & doubt I would've gotten $50. worth of use from it.

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to SandiMacD <<

Date: 7/29/13 2:02 PM

I got both kinds. The kind that is part of a big elasticator foot with dail on the top and the little kind each made for a certain width of elastic with a screw you tighten down. I actually don't use them much. Just since it's something you have to put on there each time. And I actually most times just stretch the elastic by hand. Also, like stated above, there is no "exact formula" so not that great for small exact areas, just in the same way that a ruffler attachment on a sewing machine is not good for that, lets say on a particular curved and gathered place on a particular garment pattern piece either.

But where those things would really shine and be useful would be if making lots of multiples in a row, that had some place on them they would be useful. So if making a stack of fitted bottom bed sheets, with elasticzed corners, you could just leave it on there and crank it up on that part.

Ditto if making a bunch of panites/underwear, swim suit bottoms, if wanting elastic on there flat and unstretched on front of legs and only stretched underneath the butt cheeks part in the back, it would work for that, as you would just crank it up while sewing in that one place. Or maybe if making a bunch of purses that had some kind of elasticated top edge it would be good. So, I think good if you are sort of assembly lining stuff, but maybe not used that much for a whole bunch of individual separate things, just since set up, takes longer than stretching that elastic by hand, at least for me.

Pj3g
star
Pj3g  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WI USA
Member since 2/14/11
Send Message

In reply to mitchs'mom <<

Date: 7/29/13 2:33 PM

I did this same thing with oilcloth for my table.

You don't need a formula. Just stretch the elastic as much as you can make it stretch all around the edge of the fabric and the cloth will still fit on your table. I have made many of these through the years but I had always used vinyl prior to using oilcloth. I did sew the elastic on with a SM instead of a serger.

I cut my fabric only 3 inches bigger than the the tables measurements. Even though the tablecloth had elastic all around the edge the little children I watch like to pull up the long sides of the tablecloth and stick their hands under it. To keep them from doing that I put white Scotch Decorator and Repair Tape along the underedge of the table with half the tape on the cloth and half running along the underedge of the table. It worked wonders--little people no longer are able to pull up the tablecloth. Why didn't I think of this sooner?!? This tape comes in 3/4 inch and 1 & 1/2 inches wide and it comes in different colors. I used the 1 & 1/2 inch wide for taping down the oilcloth. It is available in most all hardware stores. It removes easily with no residue even if you have it on something long term. I had it on a bedroom wall for years. I had yellow tape separating green and white paint. When I repainted, it came off the walls so easy with no residue. It's great stuff.

When my table cloth wears out I am not even going to sew elastic on anymore. I will just be using this tape and tape the cloth under the edge of the table. As my table is white, I used white tape.

-- Edited on 7/29/13 8:53 PM --

------
Thank you Lord for my Mother who taught me the joy of sewing, for my Father who encouraged my sewing, for the talent You gave me to sew, and for all the special people in my life to sew for.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers >> Elasticator question

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Runaround Bag

Runaround Bag

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Myla Tank Pattern

Sew Liberated Myla Tank Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.