SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fashion Styles and Trends > Can sewing change your body image? ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Can sewing change your body image?
Erin Sooit
star
Erin Sooit  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 7/2/07
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 7/30/13 4:08 PM

Hi!
Has anyone else seen this article?
http://www.theguardian.com/fashion/did-you-make-that/2013/jul/30/can-sewing-change-your-body-image
I enjoyed it.

goodworks1
star
goodworks1  Friend of PR
Advanced
Illinois USA
Member since 7/19/03
Send Message

In reply to Erin Sooit <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/30/13 4:25 PM

Thanks for linking to this article!

I enjoyed it also.

------
blog: goodworks1.wordpress.com

Erin Sooit
star
Erin Sooit  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 7/2/07
Send Message

In reply to goodworks1 <<

Date: 7/30/13 4:38 PM

You're welcome! Took me a lonnnnng time to be okay with my body and this article was an affirmation! I need to sew for my shape.

rtorr
rtorr  Friend of PR
Member since 3/2/11
Send Message

Date: 7/31/13 0:31 AM

Years ago I made a duct-tape-double dressmaker dummy for myself and slipped a slinky little lycra slip I had over it. I was so surprised to see that my shape looked better than I ever imagined. I think we tend to dwell on our 'negative' aspects too much, berating ourselves for not looking model thin, and not fitting current clothing styles designed for young and slender proportions.

Changma
star
Changma  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 2/20/12
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 7/31/13 5:56 AM

Thank you for the article.
This reality hit home when I was sewing, not for myself, but for DD. She ranges between a junior size 1-3. Slender, toned (gymnast/cheerleader type), and extremely active, but when I sew for her it's usually sized between women's 10-12. Oddly, this helped *improve* her body image, as she saw for herself that sizing is arbitrary. It was also an eye-opener for me to really start looking at FIT, not size.

LDT2011
star
LDT2011
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 11/18/11
Send Message

Date: 7/31/13 6:05 AM

I think making a paper dress form has affected my body image (I've always gone by measurements over weight or dress size). Seeing 'myself' from the outside its making it so much easier to judge what flatters me.
I wish I could take it with me shopping to get a proper 360 degree view of purchases. lol!

------
'The purpose of most fashion is to be ostentatiously non-functional.'

Kwaaked
Kwaaked
Member since 9/25/12
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 7/31/13 7:22 AM

Sewing has made me have a more negative image of myself, not that it was great before I ever picked up needle and thread.

For my age, having 2 children (and one in my late 30s almost 2 years ago) and a family history of women with obesity, eating disorders and dysmorphic body images from everyone flying around I know logically I don't look bad. But seeing concrete numbers from a tape doesn't help.

It's great when one can accept and embrace what they see.

Adaire
star
Adaire  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/20/12
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 7/31/13 9:05 AM

I was pleasantly surprised that my dress dummy doesn't look half as bad as I thought I looked. I love seeing the patterns that "work" for members of similar body types on PR. One thing that drives me nuts, though, is that burgundy haired Vogue model who is obviously a victim of anorexia. Poor thing...I wish they would get her help and stop featuring her on pattern envelopes until she has a more normal body. She kind of scares me and therefore I have a hard time trying patterns where she is the model.

LDT2011
star
LDT2011
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 11/18/11
Send Message

In reply to Adaire <<

Date: 7/31/13 9:26 AM

I'd like to see a wider range of model 'sizes' and 'shapes' on pattern covers.
I find it impossible to guage how a pattern will look on me when the models don't have enough curve-age to show off design elements like princess seams?

------
'The purpose of most fashion is to be ostentatiously non-functional.'

MrsCharisma
starstarstarstar
MrsCharisma  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/1/13
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/31/13 3:51 PM

I would say as an adult, I've mostly had a healthy body image. There was a time when I was very uncomfortable with my (then sized 2) body. Super thin just wasn't an attractive way to be to the average black girl in the city!

My years of dedication to watching "What Not to Wear" made me stop caring about my size. At one point, I had a closet full of clothes that ranged from S-L and 6-10. If it fits, it's okay.

Now, sewing HAS affected me as I have decided that I hate my post-kid breasts. They are not where they used to be (duh), but sewing makes that painfully obvious.

------
Nakisha
www.sewcraftychemist.blogspot.com
Singer Talent 3321 | Brother 1034D

My Big 4 Sizing: Medium | Tops 14/16 | Pants 18 | Skirts 16/18.

My Measurements: 36 HB | 38.5 FB | 34 W | 44 Hip

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fashion Styles and Trends >> Can sewing change your body image?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns
Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns

Register

Vogue Patterns 8666

photo
by: kkmatti

Review
Simplicity 9891

photo
by: Sweetsong

Review
Jamie Christina Sunny Day Dress and Skirt Pattern (JC308SD)

Jamie Christina Sunny Day Dress and Skirt Pattern (JC308SD)

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Icon Shirt

Sewing Workshop Icon Shirt

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.