SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Fashion sewing: What's exciting for you now? ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Fashion sewing: What's exciting for you now?
What kinds of fabrics are you looking forward to sewing for the coming season?
BrendaR
BrendaR
Intermediate
VA USA
Member since 6/13/13
online now
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/31/13 1:13 PM

I haven't had time to look through the fashion magazines or runway shows so far, and I'm shopping my own "stash." I've heard that houndstooth is going to be prominent and I didn't find any in my stash, but I found plenty of other stuff to get excited about. One is a dark grey tweedy tropical weight wool with dark plum embroidered dots. I have a little bit of silk charmeuse to match it. I think this combo will turn into a sleeveless top made with Vogue 1153 or cap/dolman sleeves Vogue 8534. First I'm going to make myself finish a project that was started previously.

What are you all excited about sewing? Can you find the fabric you envision?

Kemish
star
Kemish  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 4/24/06
Send Message

Date: 7/31/13 2:44 PM

I, too, MUST shop from my fabric stash before it over takes my sewing room and I am smothered by it! I was just given three garbage bags of garment fabric. I have gone through it all and laundered it and now am eagerly planning my next sewing adventures.

------
Kemish

nancy2001
starstarstarstar
nancy2001  Friend of PR
Advanced
AL USA
Member since 12/3/05
Send Message

In reply to BrendaR <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 7/31/13 3:07 PM

I'm very excited about wool!

I have a few tailored wool projects planned for fall -- a black and white pinstripe suit, a black and white flecked peacoat, and a multicolored plaid/tweed blazer trimmed with fused leather. I ordered all my fabrics online and requested swatches before I bought the actual yardage. The vendors include: Elliott Berman, Mood Fabrics, Fabric.com, and Trim Fabrics.

My patterns are Frankenpatterns based on my TNT jacket pattern -- with details borrowed from Vintage Ralph Lauren for Vogue, Marfy, and my own imagination.

I can't wait to start sewing!

------
No sewing project is ever a complete success nor a total failure.

MrsCharisma
starstarstarstar
MrsCharisma  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MN USA
Member since 2/1/13
online now
Send Message

Subject: Fashion sewing: Whats exciting for you now? Date: 7/31/13 3:11 PM

I've only started sewing this past January and fall is my FAVORITE season so I am looking forward to sewing with fall colors and heavier fabrics such as wool and tweed and wearing jackets/coats!

I *love* coats and jackets!!

------
Nakisha
www.sewcraftychemist.blogspot.com
Singer Talent 3321 | Brother 1034D

My Big 4 Sizing: Medium | Tops 14/16 | Pants 18 | Skirts 16/18.

My Measurements: 36 HB | 38.5 FB | 34 W | 44 Hip

Kwaaked
Kwaaked
Member since 9/25/12
Send Message

Subject: Fashion sewing: Whats exciting for you now? Date: 7/31/13 3:24 PM

Whatever trend I want, I have the fabric in my stash this year from camo, metallics, leather, brocade and the brights and prints.

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/31/13 4:27 PM

And what new fabric/designs in tops? No need for many jackets, dressy items upon retirement and small-town living.
I guess ruffles, ruching, flowers are out, peplums look good if you have a definite waist/hip ratio.
So what are you wanting to try beside those huge unconstructed tops? Funny they come out with those when they're telling +Size women to wear fitted to make them look smaller, not tents. I'm awaiting one of the new Japanese sewing books in the library, where they show a lot of the loose clothing on those tiny figures, mainly in linen-types.

Kwaaked
Kwaaked
Member since 9/25/12
Send Message

Subject: Fashion sewing: Whats exciting for you now? Date: 7/31/13 6:45 PM

From the trend reports I've seen (both for us and a few professional ones I had my hands on) military, loose silhouettes and tunics/pants are coming back as well as mens wear/androgyny. There also was a lot of vintage styled details making it to clothes that were from the decade (40s, 50s and 70s were the most notable I saw) but with a modern edge.

Punk and grungeish was big, and ugly imo. Embellishments were also big, both on the statement coats and the tops/tunics.

Now, the shows were something else. Basically I have seen everything out there this year.

ETA: in my notes I do have lace, peplums and capes still here, but I personally think they are on the way out. They've been big for a couple of years now, so I can't see them hanging around.

Of course, trend reports don't mean much in the end. I saw them, I am playing with them to a point, but I already wear brights, bold graphic prints and jewel tones. And green.
-- Edited on 7/31/13 6:47 PM --

Chemical
Chemical
Beginner
IL USA
Member since 1/23/08
Send Message

Date: 7/31/13 8:14 PM

Wool, wool, and more wool paired with soft, warm silk

------
doll/human yardage used in 2014: 3/19.5
doll/human yardage bought in 2014: 26/31.5
current doll/human stash: 41.5/????!

MaryDB
star
MaryDB  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 2/9/08
Send Message

Subject: Fashion sewing: Whats exciting for you now? Date: 7/31/13 9:21 PM

I can't think of wool yet, although it's probably my favorite fabric. I'm still sewing tops for summer out of linen, cotton gauze, Liberty of London lawn and voile. I'm making more tunic-y style longer tops to wear for work. I am currently finishing a linen tunic that's got a very Asian influence, from a vintage 1970's Butterick pattern, designed by Kenzo.

I have three more tops cut out, and I'd better get going if I want them done before I start craving wool.

sewdoggie22
star
sewdoggie22  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 8/6/12
Send Message

Subject: Fashion sewing: Whats exciting for you now? Date: 8/1/13 0:19 AM

I took a class at Portland Sewing School and the instructor said to look at your accessories and sew according to them.

Hmmm, I never thought of that. I have a ton of junk jewelry, scarves, belts etc.

As for what's in fashion? Everything goes, so maybe doing the accessory first might provide some great inspiration or a cleaned out closet.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Fashion sewing: What's exciting for you now?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

StyleArc Felicity

photo
by: A Beginner...

Review
Everyday Baskets

Everyday Baskets

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Cross Your Heart Top & V-Neck Tee

Christine Jonson Cross Your Heart Top & V-Neck Tee

Buy Now
BurdaStyle Magazine 09-2008-109

photo
by: Carolyn.S

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.