Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Patterns and Notions > Marfy Jacket 3053 and sizing issue ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Marfy Jacket 3053 and sizing issue
CSY
star
CSY  Friend of PR
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 2/1/03
Login to reply to this post

Date: 8/4/13 10:03 PM

Any experienced Marfy sewist who can comment will be helpful. My big 4 pattern size is a 12. Standard alterations are FBA, let out waist and hip to a 14. I purchased my Marfy jacket pattern in a 44. (should fit a 36 bust, this is me and my dress form) Instructions state to buy pattern according to body measurement using the Marfy measurement chart. Marfy patterns have few markings on them.. This is not a problem as I know how to sew. But there is apparently no ease in this pattern. The paper pattern measures 36" at the bust level. My muslin has a very tight blouse fit. The neck is also not sitting properly. Shoulders seem very sloped but when I adjust for this the back neck seems to sit very high. Wondering if Marfy placed the wrong size pattern in my size 44 envelope. I emailed voguepatterns.com where I purchased. Anyone have any ideas on this. If anyone has this jacket pattern in a size 44 I would love to compare the flat pattern measurements. Marfy 3053

-- Edited on 8/4/13 10:13 PM --

HarrietHomeowner

HarrietHomeowner  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 1/13/10

Date: 8/4/13 10:35 PM

I have no experience with these, but I noticed it says there are no seam allowances on the pattern. This could be the cause of some of your problems.

RynV

RynV
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 9/1/08

Date: 8/5/13 1:23 AM

Check seam allowances and bear in mind that Marfy patterns don't seem to have as much ease as the Big 4, which is what makes them fit so nicely. They do give a more snug fit, but it shouldn't be as tight as you are describing.

Jane S
star
Jane S
Intermediate
FL USA
Member since 8/24/02

In reply to CSY <<

Date: 8/5/13 10:47 AM

Since you do a FBA on a Big 4 pattern and add to the hip area, have you done this to the Marfy jacket? I think FBA probably always means FBA regardless of company....but only a muslin will let you know that. BTW, I love the pattern you selected, it's very much the same lines an an OOP Vogue jacket that I just had help getting fitted last month by Sarah Veblen. If you do those same alterations to the Marfy pattern as you do to the Big Four then you will still probably have a closer European fit.

------
www.luckysewandsew.blogspot.com

CSY
star
CSY  Friend of PR
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 2/1/03

Date: 8/5/13 11:14 AM

Follow up to my question and the various response. Yes Marfy does not include seam allowances. This is not a problem. I am one of those people who miss the Burda's without the seam allowances. My body measurements pretty much match the Marfy chart so I did not think I should have to add to get around my body. I purchased the Marfy in a full size larger than I would have one of the big 4.

I emailed Marfy patterns directly and did get a quick response. It was interesting! There is only 1 cm of ease at the bust! OK that explains the tight fit! Knowing that I likely would have ordered up another larger size. The measurement chart states that ease is added to the pattern. Really! 1 cm in a jacket is pretty skimpy even if you don't plan on wearing anything underneath it.

mmcp
mmcp  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
MD USA
Member since 5/31/09

Date: 8/5/13 7:14 PM

This is very helpful, actually. I have hesitated to buy Marfy because their smallest size is a 42 and I'm a 38 in Burda, but maybe I should try them!

KathleenS
starstar
KathleenS  Friend of PR
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 11/18/02
online now

In reply to mmcp <<

Date: 8/6/13 4:12 AM

mmcp, you should be fine with Marfy. The measurements for a 42 are closest to a Burda 38, and as people have mentioned Marfy don't have excessive ease.

But, CSY, it does sound like your pattern doesn't have enough ease. 1 cm on a jacket is ridiculous. The pattern I tried was true to size (with the right amount of ease, not too little, not too much).

CSY
star
CSY  Friend of PR
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 2/1/03

Date: 8/6/13 3:03 PM

Any Marfy pattern fans willing to measure their unaltered flat patterns at the bust level and report pattern size and pattern measurement? I am curious as to consistency in ease added to Marfy patterns. Not sure I would purchase another without this information.

Re Becca
starstar
Re Becca  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 9/12/05

Going to PR Weekend Austin!

Date: 8/6/13 4:15 PM

I have several Marfy pattern ()
I am a 14 in Big 4, and I order a 46 in Marfy so it sounds like you are right on track. I didn't used to measure bust (didn't have any problems), but now I do. I will check a couple of them at home tonight (I will try, working overtime right now so it depends on clients' moods). I have been working on 2132 in a 46 which is also quite fitted so I will take a look at it and post as soon as I can.
I must say that is a really nice looking jacket, but it does look pretty fitted. Do you have sleeves on it to judge the shoulder/arm fit?
Their sleeves are too small for me (measuring 13-14" while I am a snug 15") so be sure to measure before you cut.

------
http://beccabeckstuff.blogspot.com/

Damn the muslin, full speed ahead!

CSY
star
CSY  Friend of PR
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 2/1/03

In reply to Re Becca <<

Date: 8/7/13 10:43 AM

Thanks Re Becca. 2132 does look very close fitting. It will be interesting to see what ease is added over the stated pattern bust measurement. Also wondering if these patterns have been drafted for the shoulder pad? I have to add 1/2' at the shoulder. I will check height of the sleeve cap. Haven't added the sleeves yet due to poor fit at the bust but the bottom of the armhole looks to be in the right place. Sleeve cap height should help me figure this out.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Marfy Jacket 3053 and sizing issue

Merchants on PR
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site
Victoria Jones Collection
Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Create a Jacket Muslin
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Create a Jacket Muslin

Online Sewing Classes
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fee: $39.99
(Regular $39.99)
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Vogue Patterns 9911 Suit
photo
Review by HRigg on 1/6/14
Read Review

You Sew Girl 200mm Kiss Purse Pattern
You Sew Girl 200mm Kiss Purse Pattern

Details
Price: $30.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Take-Along Bags
Take-Along Bags

Details
Price: $7.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Blank Slate Schoolday Skirt Digital Pattern
Blank Slate Schoolday Skirt Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Oliver + S Art Museum Vest + Trousers Digital Pattern (5-12)
Oliver + S Art Museum Vest + Trousers Digital Pattern (5-12)

Details
Price: $15.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Children's Corner 260 Johnny
photo
Review by mcholley on 10/30/10
Read Review

McCalls 6494 Pattern ( Size NBN-SML-MED-LRG )
McCalls 6494 Pattern ( Size NBN-SML-MED-LRG )

Details
Price: $13.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simplicity 1643 Pattern ( Size XS-S-M-L-XL )
Simplicity 1643 Pattern ( Size XS-S-M-L-XL )

Details
Price: $2.49
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN