SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Bobbin thread mess help please ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Bobbin thread mess help please
Laurasean
Laurasean
Beginner
NJ
Member since 8/6/13
Send Message

Date: 8/6/13 1:25 PM

My machine keeps having an issue where the bobbin thread tangles and I wind up with a bunch of loose loops on the bottom and the needle jams. I am so new I have no idea how to prevent this. I clean out the bobbin area, retread and it happens again!!!

sewsally
star
sewsally  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 8/18/02
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/6/13 1:30 PM

Check that your upper thread is in the tension discs.

And do you have the right bobbin for your sewing machine?

Ubik
Ubik  Friend of PR
Beginner
NC USA
Member since 6/2/13
Send Message

In reply to Laurasean <<

Date: 8/6/13 1:49 PM

I also had this problem. It turned out to be a combination of several things because I had bought an old machine off Craigslist.
I had real difficulty sorting everything out until I watched a free Craftsy video called 'Sewing Machine 911'. She discusses some of the things that can go wrong with bobbins on three types of sm: front-loading, drop-in, and an older kind that loads on the left side. She approaches it from the viewpoint of a beginner and covers things that experienced sewists forget about. The teacher is very knowledgeable, but in the first couple of segments she's very nervous. However, she loosens up after a bit and the info definitely helped me. It's a free video and it's only about thirty minutes or so. Can't hurt to give it a try. Good luck!
Craftsy Free Classes Page

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to Laurasean <<

Date: 8/6/13 2:01 PM

That does just happen every time you try to sew, with no top tension on your top thread. So it will happen, if you try to sew with your pressure foot up, or if you miss thread the top of the machine, or if you by accident have your top tension device turned to zero instead of turned to the middle # there. Also happens often if you try to sew with non sewing machine thread like glaced hand quilting thread instead. Also helps to hold onto both threads, when you at first start out sewing, so they can't get pulled underneath the machine. So maybe check yourself, and see if you are doing any of those things wrong, just by accident.

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VT USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to beauturbo <<

Date: 8/6/13 2:32 PM

Quote:
Also helps to hold onto both threads, when you at first start out sewing, so they can't get pulled underneath the machine.

Yup. Always hold those thread ends. Easy habit to build and it will never fail you. I do it on every machine, even the advanced ones that say you don't have to. Never forget - it's two seconds that saves you an hours grief.

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
OR USA
Member since 8/29/06
Send Message

Date: 8/6/13 4:14 PM

The link Ubik made is a great resource...really nice to see what to do rather than just read it.

Lesson 5 at the beginning of the troubleshooting section is the part about thread nest causes and solutions. Craftsy Troubleshooting

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
KS USA
Member since 12/13/08
online now
Send Message

In reply to Mufffet <<

Date: 8/6/13 5:24 PM

Quote: Mufffet
[QUOTE] Also helps to hold onto both threads, when you at first start out sewing, so they can't get pulled underneath the machine.

Yup. Always hold those thread ends. Easy habit to build and it will never fail you. I do it on every machine, even the advanced ones that say you don't have to. Never forget - it's two seconds that saves you an hours grief.

I third this!! This was a huge nightmare for me when first learning to sew, until a friend showed me. What a life-changing revelation! I don't actually need to do it on my newer machine, but I still do.

Another issue that might be cropping up... are you putting your bobbin in the right way? (Some machines' bobbins have an extra little ridge that makes this impossible, but most don't.) I finally had to put a label on my first machine showing which way it went, because I'd invariably stick the thing in upside-down. Some machines won't sew AT ALL if the bobbin is upside-down, some will sew a little and make a giant mess, and some will trick you into thinking everything is OK for a while before causing mysterious problems halfway through topstitching your most delicate, expensive fabric. Easy thing to overlook! (My current machine's bobbin cover actually has a directional diagram printed on it, which I find so helpful. Especially because it goes in the opposite direction of my other machine!)

------
~Gem in the prairie

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OH USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to Laurasean <<

Date: 8/6/13 7:00 PM

Several people have already answered this. The problem is the top thread not the bobbin thread (unless something is wrong with your machine). Make sure you have a new needle and good thread. After you clean out the thread from the bobbin, make sure that rethread the machine with the presser foot in the up position. Make sure the thread is in the tension disk at the top. Make sure the bobbin is in the case correctly and pull the threads to the back. See what happens. HTH

sewdoggie22
star
sewdoggie22  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 8/6/12
Send Message

Date: 8/7/13 0:16 AM

omg, don't forget to take a look at the needle. I had no end of problems and I have a Pfaff Creative Sensation that allows for no end of abuse. But, it will not sew correctly if the WRONG needle is used.

What kind of fabric are you trying to sew? Over and over I sewed the same seam and never thought that there was a difference between a stretch needle and a ball point needle.

Are you having a problem with plain ol cotton fabric? Universal needle?

So many things to consider when there is a problem. Not like the 'old' days when you only changed a needle every few years instead of the way it is now.

Someone posted a very helpful site about what needle to use on what fabric. This may be a helpful site:

http://www.sewing.org/html/guidelines.html

sorry I don't know how to link. Good luck, don't give up.

SewLibra
star
SewLibra  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 12/2/08
Send Message

Date: 8/7/13 0:51 AM

If this is a mechanical machine that does not have the needle-up/down feature, make sure you use the handwheel on the right to make your needle up completely in the highest position before removing your fabric from the machine. It will then be ready to start again. Begin sewing your fabric just a little further down from the edge so as not to suck it down into the feed dogs. I have had many machines, both mechanical and computerized, and have never had to "hold onto threads" if I make sure the needle is all the way up when I am finished sewing a seam. It's an easy habit to learn, too.

------
SewLibra
Brother SB4138, Bernina 1008, Brother 1034D, Janome Harmony 9102D

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Bobbin thread mess help please

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

McCall's 6626

photo
by: Zoomitron

Review
Simplicity 2181

photo
by: SusiM

Review
Christine Jonson BaseWear Two - Straight Skirt, Taper Skirt, & Top with Options

Christine Jonson BaseWear Two - Straight Skirt, Taper Skirt, & Top with Options

Buy Now
You Sew Girl Evening Bag Pattern

You Sew Girl Evening Bag Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.