SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Help with a Singer 27 Sphinx Treadle ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Help with a Singer 27 Sphinx Treadle
I'm getting one--woo hooo!
Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/6/13 8:29 PM

For a long time, I've wanted a treadle machine to replace the small table in my hallway. I'd go to look at a few, only to find they were rusty, the cabinets or the machines were falling apart. I passed up a beautiful treadle, only because I didn't think I could find a belt, and I thought I couldn't fit it in my trunk for the long trip home.

Well, today was a blessing. My good friend called to say she is parting with her Singer 27 Sphinx; in a cabinet she refinished, and the machine comes with a puzzle box. Would I like to buy it for a song? You bet! A song and a turkey (DH raises turkeys)

So now I'm in a dilemma. I know zilch about these machines (it has a shuttle I have to load), and I need some help.

First, what kind of needles?
Second, what kind of thread?
Third, can you point me to some videos on how to thread both the machine and the bobbin?
Finally, do I have to have a SMG come to my house to tune it up, (I live waaay far away from one) or is it something I can do or can I take the head in?
Oh yes, one more thing--any good treadle groups out there?

Thanks so much! Now to figure out a name for her. Agatha, maybe?

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

PortlandMaine
star
PortlandMaine  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Maine USA
Member since 1/29/11
Send Message

Date: 8/7/13 0:53 AM

I do not know much of anything about treadles.

But - sometimes Bonnie K Hunter will sew with hers during her live video shows. You can watch them on youtube and she talks about using the machine. I like her a lot and her "quilt cams" are informative and they make me feel like Im at a quilt guild in my livingroom.

I also have spent some time poking around treadle on.com -- It looks like a website full of information on everything having to do with using and working on the machines.

Im happy for you to adopt a new machine.

One time I had a treadle with a shuttle bobbin - I had only been sewing a few months and was able to figure out out to use/wind the bobbin.

I was not - however - able to figure out how to put a new leather band on it. I got one from ebay - but they were sold at the local sewing machine shops, too.

I used normal needles and threads -

------
Quilting up a storm!

PortlandMaine
star
PortlandMaine  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Maine USA
Member since 1/29/11
Send Message

Date: 8/7/13 0:59 AM

Hey - here is a link to a page about winding the bobbin and threading the machine

treadle on

------
Quilting up a storm!

Terri A
starstarstarstar
Terri A  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 1/16/08
Send Message

In reply to Miss Fairchild <<

Date: 8/7/13 1:01 AM

I have one of these. Passed down in the family.
The parts are pretty readily available on ebay and such. There are good videos on YouTube for winding the bobbin and using the machine.

Mine was neglected when passed down to me - I'm working on that though.

Do you have all the parts for it? Slide plate etc?
Donna Kohler is the YouTube poster with great vids...

DreinPA
starstar
DreinPA  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 4/5/06
Send Message

Date: 8/7/13 9:37 AM

Miss Fairchild,
Uh oh, I diagnose SMAD.

http://www.singerco.com/uploads/download/91_127-128-3.pdf
will get you the manual for free
treadleon.net will get you to a collection of treadle enthusiasts and a rich source of materials.

As noted above, standard needles, standard thread.
There are many sources for leather belting or more unorthodox belting materials. Installation is relatively simple, again see Treadleon.

As far as tune-ups. DIY!! For the most part it just means thoroughly cleaning off hardened oil and balled up lint . [side note, there is a felt 'wick' in the front of the machine near the feed dogs. It may appear as a hard mass of lint, but its purpose is to provide constant lubrication to the shuttle. Read up on it. It can be removed, cleaned and replaced. You may also find it to be missing.] Re-oiling with a quality oil ("Tri-flow" is oft recommended, but regular Singer oil will suffice, please no 3-1 or cooking oils) and USE.

With the belt not on, the head removes from the treadle the same way more modern machines do; set screws hold the machine to the hinge posts located on the backside of the cabinet. Swing the head back till you can see the underside of the machine. Loosen the screws, above the hinges (on the machine base, not on the cabinet) and pull straight up. Do use caution as the average machine is on the order of 20+ pounds.

Cleanse the oil points with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol using caution not to get it on the paint. Wait, hello- she cleaned up the cabinet, she didn't refinish the machine? Okay well yes, its a piece of furniture first and foremost.

Well I can go on and on but I'd be reinventing the (fly)wheel.
Start with Treadleon and move to YouTube.

Congratulations.

------
Don't confuse accessibility with ease; just because anybody can pick up a needle and thread doesn't mean sewing quality garments is easy.

Yarndiva
star
Yarndiva
Advanced
California USA
Member since 3/28/06
Send Message

Date: 8/9/13 4:21 PM

I use a Singer 27 treadle and find it to be very easy to operate. Regular 15x1 needles and normal thread, in my case Guiterman or Coats and Clark. Your Singer is a low shank so you can use all sorts of attachments too like walking foot or 1/4 inch foot.
That bobbin was really wierd at first.....placing it in the shuttle and threading it, gosh I was sure it would not work. But after a try or two it was fine and never a moments hassle since.
Oil it yourself and get a new belt. TreadleOn.net is a good resource as others pointed out.
I use all sorts of industrial machines during the week so find my Singer, with her quiet beauty and simplicity, a nice change.

------
http://silkmothsewing.blogspot.com/

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 8/11/13 10:17 AM

Thanks everyone! I'm so excited about this machine and can't wait to set her up.

Dre, you're right--SMAD set in a loooong time ago...

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Yarndiva <<

Date: 8/12/13 1:48 PM

Quote:
I use all sorts of industrial machines during the week so find my Singer, with her quiet beauty and simplicity, a nice change.

This is good to know as I can understand--chaos then quiet.

Thanks for the tip on the needles; I've written them down.

------

jzygail
star
jzygail  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Maryland USA
Member since 11/2/06
Send Message

Date: 8/13/13 4:16 PM

The first treadle that I basically put together myself was a Singer 27 Sphinx. I still have him, too I love love love love love that machine. Seriously. I love to quilt (even FMQ) on him, even though the long bobbins take a lot less thread--I just prewind 4 or 5 bobbins before I get started.

The most you will likely have to do is clean her up, oil her well (they LURVE oil!! :), and clean out all the lint.

Needles? Takes the same kind of needles you get at JoAnns or anywhere else. I use Schmetz in mine. I use Gutterman thread in mine, but that's my personal preference for all my machines, old and modern. You could probably use just about any thread you want to in yours--the old vintage Singers are pretty forgiving. Mine have no issues with Coats and Coats or even occasionally no-name brands (my DIL gave me some bargain barrel thread to use for the sash on her wedding dress and my 27 didn't even sneer)

If you DO take your machine in for some tuning up (if you run into a problem you don't feel comfortable trying to fix yourself), make SURE you reject any SMG who tries to tell you the machine isn't worth fixing. Of COURSE it is!! And if they try to claim it will be a very complex job, take the machine back and find someone else.

You could join Treadle On (I'm a member there, as are numerous others on the board), but really, see that? Numerous others on the board? There's a lot of people here who can help you with any treadle problems you might have.

Ping me Friday and I'll try to make a video on Saturday of how to thread the machine and how to wind a bobbin for you, staring my lovely 27 :)

jzygail
star
jzygail  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Maryland USA
Member since 11/2/06
Send Message

In reply to DreinPA <<

Date: 8/13/13 4:18 PM

Quote: DreinPA
Do use caution as the average machine is on the order of 20+ pounds.

Um, in reality, the 27 is more like 35 lbs, than 20. They're heavy. I think only the 201 is heavier.
Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Help with a Singer 27 Sphinx Treadle

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Favorite Things Little Belle Skirts Pattern

Favorite Things Little Belle Skirts Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby Zippy Bunting Pattern

SewBaby Zippy Bunting Pattern

Buy Now
Simplicity 3215

photo
by: wingamajig

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.