SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > Floor Models? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Floor Models?
Lori9999
star
Lori9999
Advanced Beginner
Arizona USA
Member since 12/6/12
Send Message

Date: 8/7/13 9:49 AM

I am looking for a new TOL machine to replace my very old MC6000 which was a TOL machine back in the mid 80's when I bought it. Anyway, I am wondering what your thoughts are on buying demo/floor models? How much less should they be than new? Should I look for anything special regarding use/abuse?

I am mostly a garment sewist, although I do some crafting/quilting/home dec. and really want to expand my repertoire. Right now I'm thinking either the Ellisimo Gold/Quattro 2 or the Pfaff Creative Sensation. I've not tested machines yet, just trying to get my thoughts in order for my shopping trip next week.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Lori

------
Pfaff Creative Sensation
Janome New Home MC 6000
Babylock Cover Stitch
Babylock Enlighten Serger
Bernina Deco 340
Simplicity 12 Needle Felting Machine

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to Lori9999 <<

Date: 8/7/13 10:05 AM

I don't think you will find too many CS that are used as they are well loved. They best time to pick up a used TOL is when a new model comes out. One thing is to ask about warranties. I believe dealers will usually give you full warranties on machines that are store models or machines used in classes. However pre-owed machines turned in to upgrade you usually won't get a full warranty as the warranty has been registered and they usually aren't transferable. I think if you want to buy a TOL machine that is under 5 years old (normal length of warranty for everything) you should just buy new. Unless they will give you a full factory warranty. These machines are expensive to have repaired especially if you were to have to replace a board or screen. You didn't mention embroidery. The machines you mentioned are TOL embroidery combo machines. You could get a TOL sewing only machine new for thousands less.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 8/7/13 10:07 AM

I bought a demo machine a Janome 11000 for a bit less than half the regular price. A new version was coming out and I paid about 1/3 of what the new version would cost. I also got a software upgrade thrown in.

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to Lori9999 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/7/13 11:37 AM

The current TOL Pfaff CS is generally on at a terrific price right now for new in box from dealers, as the new TOL Creative-Pro is making it's debut shortly.

Most dealers appear to have the CS on at half or close to the regular selling price. That would give you a brand new machine at a heck of a good deal. This also includes full upgrade to the new embroidery software coming soon.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

suesewserge
suesewserge
Member since 4/21/11
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe <<

Date: 8/7/13 12:39 PM

Quote: LynnRowe
The current TOL Pfaff CS is generally on at a terrific price right now for new in box from dealers, as the new TOL Creative-Pro is making it's debut shortly.

Most dealers appear to have the CS on at half or close to the regular selling price. That would give you a brand new machine at a heck of a good deal. This also includes full upgrade to the new embroidery software coming soon.

New TOL Creative Pro?

NooooO! I am already too tempted by the 3.0 or 5.0!

I've typically gotten at least 10% off sale price for a floor model, same warranty, service, classes as new. Another option is if your dealer has classes or events or is at a show or a fair to get the demo models used there, mine usually has special pricing on those that is always great. Unfortunately. For my budget.
Sew Nanny
starstarstar
Sew Nanny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 8/13/06
Send Message

Date: 8/7/13 12:45 PM

When I bought my Bernina 830LE two years ago, it was a floor model that had only been on the floor for about 2 months. It had a little over 3,000 stitches on it, so was just broken in. They only knocked $500 off the price of a new machine, but it came with full warranty and was virtually a new machine.

------
Patricia
Bernina B780E ~ Bernina B380 ~ Juki MO-735
Bernina DesignerPlus 7

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." Eleanor Roosevelt

saphirel
saphirel
Advanced Beginner
Ontario CANADA
Member since 10/26/12
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe <<

Date: 8/7/13 4:19 PM

Why, why, why did I have to see this? I couldn't justify the difference in price when I bought my CP but now that you're saying it can be had at such a good price...

------
Pfaff Creative Performance ♥ Viking Tribute 140C, Singer Featherweight, Singer 128, & Janome MyLock 134D.

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to saphirel <<

Date: 8/7/13 4:52 PM

Trade-up time?

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

dfsews

dfsews  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Nebraska USA
Member since 4/17/06
Send Message

Date: 8/8/13 0:05 AM

I love buying floor models. The price is less than new, the machine has been "sewed in", and you know if there was an issue with the machine it would be addressed, cuz they are using it to sell that model.
I have bought demos/floor models several times and never disappointed. Just make sure you have a good dealer who can insure that the machine is in good order.

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

Date: 8/8/13 1:34 AM

I consider a floor model much better than new in a box. Just since it's been used, and anything that did not work, or be funky or would break right away, already did, and has already been caught and taken care of. So no surprises probably. So it would be kind of like having an extra burn in period. So to me, it would have a better chance/odds of everything working just right. So I actually would always prefer the floor model, if it was some kind of more complicated computerized machine. I still would always want to test sew on it though first.

If wanting the latest and greatest though, I might ask what is replacing it, just since something would probably be replacing it or it would not be going to not be a floor model anymore.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Floor Models?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Simplicity 8664

photo
by: westmoon

Review
Sew Liberated Bohemian Carpet Bag Pattern

Sew Liberated Bohemian  Carpet Bag Pattern

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Cross Your Heart Top & V-Neck Tee

Christine Jonson Cross Your Heart Top & V-Neck Tee

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.