SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Measuring Self Leads to Bra Revelations ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Measuring Self Leads to Bra Revelations
Maybe TMI, but no pictures. ;-)
demoiselle
star
demoiselle
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/21/11
Send Message

Date: 8/7/13 1:52 PM

After taking my measurements for sewing, I realized that I've probably been wearing the wrong size bra. And this is after I went from 34AA to a 32A when trying to finally find the right size.

After my under-bust measurement came out to be barely 30", I decided to check out ABraThatFits on Reddit. According to their instructions for measuring, I'm a 28C or D.

Wow. No wonder my bras have always felt wrong.

Has anyone else been properly fitted/fitted themselves for a bra and found that they were wearing something way off the mark? If you changed, did it make a big difference in how you/your clothes fit?

I know this isn't really a sewing question, but fitting things well requires that we wear the right undergarments, so I thought this might be a good place for discussing this. And I know lots of folks here are making their own bras, too . . .

------
Yes, I started a blog.
http://demoiselledesigns.wordpress.com/

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to demoiselle <<

Date: 8/7/13 2:16 PM

I am going to take a different position. That is a 6" difference and that is alot. I can't stand to be squeezed to death by my bra. Also, cup size is only one thing. I need a bra with a wider space between cups. A smaller size would be too tight and put the cups in the wrong place. Also, I don't think you will find a "grown up" bra in a 28 D. My guess is that you will only find teen bras in that size. Each brand is different too. I have found a brand that works for me. I recently went up a cup size to get a better fit. It was a surprise to me as I had a AA in high school. You have a wide range of sizes here. I would go somewhere and get a second opinion. Then try on several brands and sizes. Of course making your own solves alot of problems. I think there is a sew along for bra making. They are not hard to do.

Julia C
star
Julia C  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Nevada USA
Member since 7/1/07
Send Message

In reply to demoiselle <<

Date: 8/7/13 2:38 PM

When you can, check out the BraMakers Manual at your library. You will be amazed to find out exactly why your bras don't fit. Widening the bridge & adding length to straps really improved the comfort for me. I also got to go up 2 cup sizes to have the correct width. Due to my body shape, I did not have much difference in fit but I certainly did in comfort.

Jodi B.
star
Jodi B.  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Saskatchewan Canada
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 8/7/13 5:14 PM

I have yet to make a bra that truly fits me yet, but as one of the odder sizes (narrow rib cage, larger cup size), I've had to hunt out good sources for proper fitting bras. I did a quick search on Figleaves (http://www.figleaves.com/uk/lingerie/bras/all/19552/19630/#term=&dept=bras&category=&subcategory=all&answerhandle=19552&searchhandle=A%3dTNlingerie+not+in+olet~B%3dTNlingerie+not+in+olet~&pageno=1&sort=8&pagesize=28&colours=&sizes=28D~&brands=&maxprice=100&multioptions=&deptcat=19630&minprice=0&islmin=0&islmax=100&fo=Bras--28D~&cups=&bra=28D~&clothing=&cosmetics=&shoes=&mensclothing=&productid=&productcolour=&bboost=&gender=&rating=undefined) and found 126 styles for 28D. I also shop at Brastop.com sometimes as well. Good luck!

misschris
misschris
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/3/06
Send Message

In reply to Marie367 <<

Date: 8/7/13 5:41 PM

28 inch bands are available in "grown up" sizes - its a very common size range. Lots of women wear a 28D. I won't even start on how insulting it is to a slim woman to be told she's child sized. And no, not anywhere near my size, so I'm not taking this personally.
As for wire position and cup shape, that's a whole other issue that needs to be worked through in conjunction with band and cup size. I'm glad you've found a bra you're happy with.

Demoiselle I'm glad you found A Bra That Fits, there's so much helpful information there. I've been wearing the correct size for a long time, but its been resource for me finding a better style for my shape. Understanding your breast shape and position is just as important as size when doing alterations to patterns - knowing where you need the extra fabric in an FBA, for example. You will end up with a better fit.
I'll second Figleaves as a good place to shop - I've also had a good experience with FreshPair

------
chris

Melbourne

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to misschris <<

Date: 8/7/13 6:26 PM

I agree that it would be insulting to not be able to find the size you need and that is true for people on both ends of the spectrum. I was very thin when young-it was hard to find sizes. I checked several online merchants including Kohls-even their Jr sizes start at 30 band and Women's at a 32. Thankfully there are online sellers that offer a wider variety of styles. I think it will be difficult to find a 28 in places other than online. Of course, that is why so many of us sew, so that we can make things that fit us properly.

simplystitches
simplystitches
New York USA
Member since 2/12/06
Send Message

In reply to Marie367 <<

Date: 8/7/13 8:24 PM

Quote:
. I think it will be difficult to find a 28 in places other than online.

Not true. I'm a 28 or 30, depending, and any good lingerie store carries them. However, you most often won't find them in department stores other than jr. sizes. I 've tried.While the jr. band sizing may be right the cup fit is not. They're usually cut on the skimpy side. Plus I find there's generally not enough support. I tried just about everything to avoid paying the prices at a lingerie store. LOL

For years I wore the same bra in a 34B (incredibly comfortable and reasonably priced) and at some point I lost inches through my torso. No weight per se, just inches. I tried going down to a 32 and they were still too loose and slipping around. There is nothing worse that a bra that's annoyingly uncomfortable for some reason. I measure 28 but usually go with a 30 band. It's a bit more comfortable and I don't have a lot of cup volume that needs that much tight support through the band.

I've actually been thinking about fitting and making them for myself. The biggest problem is you can't check the fit at all until they're completely done!

I'm not trying to signal you out with this. I just thought I'd add to the thread..

Debbie

demoiselle
star
demoiselle
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/21/11
Send Message

Date: 8/7/13 10:23 PM

There are actually a surprising number of 28 and 30 band sized bras, though I see they are mostly sold online. The cups on those, since they're proportional to the band size, are larger (that's why one would go from a 34AA to a 28D). But yes, it's not going to be easy for me to walk into a store and find 28s or 30s in my size to try on. I'll probably have to order online and then return if they don't fit. However, if I find something that actually is the right size, then it will be a big relief. I'm tired of underwires that don't reach far enough around my ribcage because the band is too long. And I know that if I do manage to get the right size, it will really change how my figure looks.

I am just getting to the age and weight where I can see wearing the wrong size is making the tissue shift to where it shouldn't be . . . time to get the right size and keep it from migrating!

------
Yes, I started a blog.

demoiselle
star
demoiselle
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/21/11
Send Message

In reply to Julia C <<

Date: 8/7/13 10:23 PM

Quote: Julia C
When you can, check out the BraMakers Manual at your library. You will be amazed to find out exactly why your bras don't fit. Widening the bridge & adding length to straps really improved the comfort for me. I also got to go up 2 cup sizes to have the correct width. Due to my body shape, I did not have much difference in fit but I certainly did in comfort.

I will look for it!

------
Yes, I started a blog.

demoiselle
star
demoiselle
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/21/11
Send Message

Date: 8/7/13 10:25 PM

I'm not even that slim--I just have a small rib-cage!

------
Yes, I started a blog.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Measuring Self Leads to Bra Revelations

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Class Details

Online Class
Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Class Details

BurdaStyle Magazine 05-2011-130

photo
by: valerie se...

Review
Simplicity 3626

photo
by: PostMuse

Review
Favorite Things Little Prairie Girl Pattern

Favorite Things Little Prairie Girl Pattern

More Info
You Sew Girl Small Tote Pattern

You Sew Girl Small Tote Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.