Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Sewing Machines > CL ad: Selling 31 machines as a lot ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
CL ad: Selling 31 machines as a lot
What do you think of this??
Sewandwrite
star
Sewandwrite  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
MD USA
Member since 5/16/08
Login to reply to this post

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 8/7/13 5:15 PM

I found this Craigslist posting quite curious.

Here is the ad copy:
"They are all in good condition, make an offer for all, , lots of supplies for them like thread and needles and stencils, some Singer, some Morse, some Dressmaker, some baby lock, etc. Selling the lot of 31 only, no individual sale, purchase and resell. Provide a contact number to set up appointment to view items, they can be tested before purchase. Best offer gets the lot!!Partial pictures shown better to review in person., you will not be disappointed. "

This seems odd to me. Plus, the words "you will not be disappointed" in an ad always raises my eyebrows.

Edited as per CM_Sews -- hope the link is working now.

-- Edited on 8/7/13 5:36 PM --

CM_Sews
CM_Sews
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 9/18/04

Date: 8/7/13 5:32 PM

CL Link (Your link needs fixing.)

My guess is that, however this collection of machines was acquired ...

(SMAD collector who is moving and can't take the machines with him/her, SMAD collector who has passed on to that Big Sewing Studio in the Sky, and family is disposing of SMAD collector's machines, Retired Sewing Machine Repair Person who is downsizing, etc. etc. I can think of a number of scenarios)

... the person selling the machines is hoping that they can make ONE SINGLE SALE and not 31 separate sales, thus saving him/her-self much,much aggravation.

I can understand the sentiment (one sale, less pain), but it will take awhile to find a buyer who actually wants 31 machines all at once. Even at $50 per machine, that's a $1550 purchase.

CMC
-- Edited on 8/7/13 5:33 PM --

Sewandwrite
star
Sewandwrite  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
MD USA
Member since 5/16/08

In reply to CM_Sews <<

Date: 8/7/13 5:38 PM

Quote: CM_Sews
<
... the person selling the machines is hoping that they can make ONE SINGLE SALE and not 31 separate sales, thus saving him/her-self much,much aggravation.

I can understand the sentiment (one sale, less pain), but it will take awhile to find a buyer who actually wants 31 machines all at once.

Yes, I don't know if this is a realistic expectation. But who knows?
Addierecoy
Addierecoy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MO USA
Member since 5/30/13

Date: 8/7/13 5:45 PM

I agree with CM.

The seller may have looked at other ways to sell them that require shipping (usually around $40 per machine and a lot of packing) and decided it was just too much work. If the collector has gone to the sewing room in the sky, having myself disposed of 3 relatives estates in the last 2 years, I understand the seller wanting to sell them all at once. Taking care of distributing and selling a lifetime's worth of belongs is overwhelming and exhausting.

I have a feeling a blanket offer of 800.00 to 1000.00 might just get the lot.

CM_Sews
CM_Sews
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 9/18/04

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 8/7/13 5:59 PM

I will say that the machines look clean in the photos, and seem to have the appropriate cords and foot pedals to go with them. The claim that "you won't be disappointed" may indeed be true.

I've seen so many photos of filthy and rusting vintage machines on Craigslist, with cases dusty and falling apart, that a collection of 31 CLEAN machines is rather novel.

CMC

sewfrequent

sewfrequent
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 6/27/03

Date: 8/7/13 6:46 PM

CMC, do you often buy and sell as a kind of hobby-for-profit? I could be thinking of someone else but i believe i saw some 401's in that mix..the babylock is nice..no telling what's in the cases. and if in working condition w/ all or at least the critical parts? i'd def pursue this a little bit bc if you go there and connect w/ the seller at all, you may be able to pick and choose the ones you like best. Chances are you don't want them ALL. it'd be to that seller's advantage to unload 10 or 12 if he wants to sell the lot, more ppl would go for 15 machines vs 30. there's a good chance you can pick up a few if you are willing to buy say half of his fleet and then only if you know you can flip em for profit. summer is no good for selling machines but you'd like to know you can at least double your money. lots of variables here but it seems worth having a look to see where it leads!
-- Edited on 8/7/13 6:49 PM --

sewfrequent

sewfrequent
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 6/27/03

Date: 8/7/13 7:02 PM

Looked again at the ad. those machines look to be well-cared for. I think there's some T&S models in that mix and you know the 600 and 603 would be keepers..the babylock, the dressmaker, any 401's, 403's, 500's, 301's, 99's etc all keepers. Here's what i'd do. If any "good" (in terms of in demand) machines are in that mix, add the value less 20% and include the others in your offer. i'll say $800 to you very conservatively if he had one of each of the above Singers..then offer $600 for a lot of 12- 15 to include the ones you want. The Morse types and T&S types don't sell for much but they do sell for <$100 each which is still something. Seller is still left with a lot of 15 and i think he'd have an easier time with that vs 30.

CM_Sews
CM_Sews
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 9/18/04

In reply to sewfrequent <<

Date: 8/7/13 8:02 PM

Well, I certainly buy sewing machines as a hobby. I've never sold one, but I have given away a few in my quest to convert everyone I know into a sewing fanatic.

There's a vacuum and sewing repair shop in my area, where the owner buys old sewing machines and completely refurbishes them and sells them in his shop. He doesn't sell new machines, (he's not a certified dealer), but I know he buys machines from a fellow who scrounges garage sales and estate sales. Mr. Shop owner does a good and complete refurbishing job, replacing parts, etc., and then sells the machines in his shop. (I lusted after an industrial machine he had for sale.) Someone like this would be the type of buyer who would be attracted to this sale of 31 machines.

I noticed that one photo included in the CL ad is an industrial.

Even though the seller says he wants to sell all 31 at once, you have nothing to lose by offering to take some of them off his hands. If he doesn't get any buyers for all 31, he may be willing to modify his offer.

Thank goodness I'm about 2800 miles away from Washington DC!

CMC

dfsews

dfsews  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NE USA
Member since 4/17/06

thumbsup 2 members like this.
Date: 8/8/13 0:01 AM

Oh, No! It's bad enough that we all have SMAD-now we're going to start buying machines in herds???? Keep me away!

Kwaaked
Kwaaked
Member since 9/25/12

Date: 8/8/13 1:56 AM

I did get a lot of machines (around 70 of them) from a friend that downsized and flat could not deal with the shipping, selling and everything for it with her personal troubles.

I sold them at a flea market and ebay. I knew what she wanted for her machines, and I sold them for at least that. Some were worth considerably more, and I got what I could for each and every one of them.

After, I was offered a lot of 50 machines. I passed on them (I was just only helping a friend after all), and told another guy about them. Since, there are about 4 people I know looking for the lots like that.

Like CM says, there's people that do this for a living and those are who they are aimed at.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> CL ad: Selling 31 machines as a lot

Merchants on PR
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site
Victoria Jones Collection
Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Create a Jacket Muslin
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Create a Jacket Muslin

Online Sewing Classes
Sewing Basics
Fee: $14.99
(Regular $14.99)
Sewing Basics

No Pattern Used apron Apron
photo
Review by hongkongsh... on 12/17/07
Read Review

Butterick 5954 Pattern ( Size LRG-XLG-XXL )
Butterick 5954 Pattern ( Size LRG-XLG-XXL )

Details
Price: $17.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

McCalls 2818 Pattern ( Size 8-10-12 )
McCalls 2818 Pattern ( Size 8-10-12 )

Details
Price: $13.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simplicity 2724
photo
Review by TheHomeEco... on 8/26/09
Read Review

Oliver + S Puppet Show Tunic + Shorts Digital Pattern( Size Birth-24 months) )
Oliver + S Puppet Show Tunic + Shorts Digital Pattern( Size Birth-24 months) )

Details
Price: $13.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Blank Slate Favorite Purse Digital Pattern
Blank Slate Favorite Purse Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

SewBaby Travel Nappers Pattern
SewBaby Travel Nappers Pattern

Details
Price: $8.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

You Sew Girl Panel Bag
You Sew Girl Panel Bag

Details
Price: $19.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN