Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Sewing Machines > PE770, Ellure+ or Topez??? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
PE770, Ellure+ or Topez???
wangstar
wangstar
Beginner
FL USA
Member since 8/10/13
Login to reply to this post

Date: 8/10/13 7:37 PM

First post a newbie!!!

I have a Brother CE4000 sewing machine that my mom got my for Christmas a few years back, since I don't do much with it (basic pillow cases and things), I've never needed anything more.
However, I've been thinking about getting an embroidery machine because I would like to personalize stuff for my son and make things for friends that have had babies recently and are expecting in the near future.
I started researching on a machine earlier this week, from just a simple Brother's PE500 to maybe a PE770, to now, looking at a used Ellure+ for $1200 or a new Viking topaz.

So, for a beginner just want to pick up a machine as a hobbie and make little things here and there, which machine should I go with? Brother, Babylock or Viking?

FYI, i really don't need too many features, just want to be about to do names and cute designs that I can download from the internet or using a digitizing software.

P.S.
With the Viking from Joann, the special they have now is that they are including a software with the purchase of the machine and they give free classes.

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 3/4/05
online now

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 8/10/13 8:15 PM

I bought the PE770 for the same reason. I'm not totally into embroidery but wanted something for random projects and possibly larger than 4x4. I bought a nice set of Elipse hoops off Amazon.

I prefer having a separate embroidery machine. Some embroidery designs can take awhile. All of your choices are nice ones. You may be able to get the Topaz at discount next month or later as Viking is coming out with a new Topaz. Remember extra costs for some of these machines may be software-related. Someone who is more familiar will give some input here soon.

-- Edited on 8/10/13 8:16 PM --

wangstar
wangstar
Beginner
FL USA
Member since 8/10/13

Date: 8/10/13 11:06 PM

How do you like the pe770? Do you have issues with the hoops like most reviews I've read.

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 3/4/05
online now

In reply to wangstar <<

Date: 8/10/13 11:16 PM

I bought a set of Elipse hoops off Amazon. They are very nicely made.

Mrs.Moos
star
Mrs.Moos  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 11/5/02

Date: 8/11/13 0:04 AM

The Ellure is the Babylock version of the Brother 1250D which is a Brother 780D with sewing capability. The PE770 is just the embroidery part--like a 780D without the Disney. But with the capability of reading PEN files off of Ibroidery-which sells Disney designs. So you can do Disney designs on your PE770. If you have a sewing machine, you do not need something like the Ellure.

------
Brother ULT 2002D, Janome 6500P, Babylock Eclipse SX, Juki MO654DE, Janome Coverpro 1000CPX, Singer 15-91

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL USA
Member since 2/8/09

Date: 8/11/13 8:31 AM

Take a look at the "free software" before deciding. Most times this just means you get software that will let your computer open or see image previews of the designs. It will not let you do anything else!

That type of software is also free on the Internet, very inexpensive or included with the software that you will also need to buy for minor editing.

If the bundled software (free) software they are including does things like rotate, enlarge, reduce, delete stitches, duplicate, merge, etc then Yes, it may be a very good deal!

That type of software is in the editing/modifying category and begins at $50 for Mac, $150 for PC and upwards to hundreds of dollars depending on features.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

Sewinglady1947
Sewinglady1947
Advanced
Member since 4/28/08

In reply to wangstar <<

Date: 8/11/13 9:39 AM

I have the Topaz 30 and am very satisfied with it. There is still a lots I need to learn. I like the large embroidery field but most of the designs I do is 5x7. I suggest you check each machine and see which one will be best for you. I have the D1 also. The Topaz is really a sturdy machine.

------
sewing grammy

hpthecat
hpthecat
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 8/17/10

thumbsup 4 members like this.
Date: 8/12/13 6:43 AM

I have the PE770. I bought it to get my feet wet with embroidery. The actual stitch out quality is excellent-- I have no complaint on that. There are certain projects I would not attempt on it, as it does not provide the features that would benefit certain projects. (Ex. I don't expect it to stitch out double sided metallic on a sheer, like a Viking Designer Diamond with the "Thread portioning" feature.) -- It is reliable and adequate for the type of use you want it for.

Here is the wrench-- as you start embroidering more, and understanding the process better, the inconveniences of the machine become apparent. Here is what I find inconvenient:

1. The screen is small and not in color. The machine will tell you what color it is on, but sometimes the small screen view of what section the machine is stitching makes it "less convenient" to follow where you are at in the stitch out of the design.

2. Because of the above....it helps to print out your design on paper with a color printer. The print out for the designs I have used give the color and stitch out order-- and I find it handy to have this in 'big' version. The print outs can be used as templates for positioning.

3. Because of #2, you spend added time at the computer and printer before beginning your project, this I hate. You can run a recap of the stitch out on your computer screen in the software, which I find helpful sometimes...

4. Eventually your confidence grow...and as your confidence in what you are doing grows...the kind of projects you want to attempt grow. Then you realize, there are project disk....but half the designs won't even work because you only have up to a 5 by 7 hooping/stitch field capacity.
----------------------------------
My response is really meant as an "in general" response to anyone who comes along reading this for input. For your specific intention-- it may be just fine, but I'm just pointing out small pitfalls. For the price-- with the quality of stitch out-- I would recommend the Brother PE770 for a complete beginner/explorer. It is an affordable way to find out if you even like doing embroidery, and I have not had any break downs/tension or service issues with it.

Hope this helps.

------
Bernina 820, Babylock Audrey, BL Embellisher, BL Evolution Serger

wangstar
wangstar
Beginner
FL USA
Member since 8/10/13

Date: 8/12/13 8:47 AM

If I were to skip the PE770 and go straight for a more comprehensive machine, which is better, the babylock ellure plus (used about 8 months) or a new Viking?

or is there another embroidery only machine I should look into?
-- Edited on 8/12/13 8:49 AM --

Sewnla
star
Sewnla  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
CA USA
Member since 2/11/06

Date: 8/12/13 5:46 PM

I too have wanted to try machine embroidery . I just purchased a Brother PE700ii online from Costco.com. I know that it must use a usb cable hooked up to my laptop but the price was too good to pass up. It is currently on sale for $389.97, that's $100 off their regular price. Plus if I try it and I don't like it I can return it to the warehouse and get back my money back, even the shipping cost. I can't wait for it to come.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> PE770, Ellure+ or Topez???

Merchants on PR
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site
Victoria Jones Collection
Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Altering Pants
Fee: $19.99
(Regular $59.00)
Altering Pants

Online Sewing Classes
Leather 101
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Leather 101

Vogue Patterns 7998
photo
Review by Tallahasse... on 11/23/09
Read Review

Islander Sewing Systems Double Green Shopping Bag Pattern
Islander Sewing Systems Double Green Shopping Bag Pattern

Details
Price: $9.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Sewn Square One Paper Bag Pant Pattern
Sewn Square One Paper Bag Pant Pattern

Details
Price: $12.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Pattern Runway Stella Dress and Top Digital Pattern
Pattern Runway Stella Dress and Top Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $11.50
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Peek-A Boo Stella Sun Dress Digital Pattern ( Size 3 mo -8 years )
Peek-A Boo Stella Sun Dress Digital Pattern ( Size 3 mo -8 years )

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Amy Butler AB025FB Frenchy Bags
photo
Review by SarahSM on 9/3/07
Read Review

Simplicity 2160 Pattern ( Size ONE )
Simplicity 2160 Pattern ( Size ONE )

Details
Price: $16.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simplicity 1564 Pattern ( Size XXS-XS-S-M-L )
Simplicity 1564 Pattern ( Size XXS-XS-S-M-L )

Details
Price: $14.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN