Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Sewing Techniques and Tips > How to thread machine when using twin needle ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
How to thread machine when using twin needle
Janome 2212
Linda0902
Linda0902
Intermediate
NJ USA
Member since 7/2/13
Login to reply to this post

Date: 8/10/13 9:24 PM

The manual that came with my machine does not say anything about using twin needles, but there are two spools on the top of the machine. My question is: do you hold both threads together as you thread the machine, or thread them separately? (I am aware that they should run in opposite directions). I saw a video by Nancy Zieman where she holds the threads together, but she has a top-of-the-line machine. I saw another video where it is done separately. My question is: which way is better for an inexpensive machine such as mine?

Red Dragon
star
Red Dragon
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/4/08
online now

In reply to Linda0902 <<

Date: 8/10/13 10:05 PM

I generally do them separately but that is largely because one was already threaded from doing the seams. I've done it on both my basic mechanical and the computerised monster. I doubt that it matters as long as they are threaded correctly.

------
Tracy, Canberra

Janome 7700QCP, Janome 4618QC, Husky S25 overlock/coverstitch

SewLibra
star
SewLibra  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 12/2/08

Date: 8/11/13 1:21 AM

You should be able to thread them separately, just making sure the threads are in the tension disks and guides, not tangled anywhere. Remember your fabric needs to be right side up on the machine for topstitching with the twin needles. I made that mistake one time and it was a rather ugly result!
-- Edited on 8/11/13 1:23 AM --

------
SewLibra
Brother SB4138, Bernina 1008, Brother 1034D, Janome Harmony 9102D

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
OR USA
Member since 8/29/06

In reply to Linda0902 <<

Date: 8/11/13 1:54 AM

I haven't used a twin needle in more years than I can count...but looked online for info and they all instructed to thread separately...and to place one thread on the left side of the tension disk and the other thread to the right side of the tension disk...now how that is known if they are staying on each side when we can't see into the tension disks on "modern" sms in which the tension disks are basically hidden I am not sure. Also...the thread placed to the left of the tension disks is placed in the thread guide by the needle on the left side (usual needle thread guide) and if you have another little guide on the right side then the other thread that is placed to the right side of the tension disks goes there...but if there is not a right side needle guide then do NOT put it in the left side with the other thread...just thread it in the needle and that's it.

Well...not sure if this all makes sense...I am a visual learner myself. See and do learner.

I tried to make a clickable link to the youtube video that was the most concise and easiest to understand...but the link I make does not work....don't know why.

Anyhoo....check out youtube for a video titled Twin Needle..there is more than one with that name so look for the one by bonetge. It's short but has all the info you need. Most of the others are too chatty with a lot of off topic info...projects and such.

I was using this to make the clickable link that did not work:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL4dhsm7T-l

HTH
-- Edited on 8/11/13 2:21 AM --

Linda0902
Linda0902
Intermediate
NJ USA
Member since 7/2/13

In reply to bestgrammy <<

Date: 8/11/13 7:00 AM

Thanks for your post! My machine is a very basic machine - Janome 2212.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEFmKJ5Gk94
The link above is 28 mins long, but it will enable you to see the machine. It DOES have two spools on the top, and at the end of the video, she mentions using twin needles, but she doesn't demonstrate how to thread the machine for twin needle stitching. To my knowledge, it does NOT have tension discs, it has a thread take-up lever. (I think tension discs are only in a computerized machine, but I don't know for sure).

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
OR USA
Member since 8/29/06

In reply to Linda0902 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/11/13 10:16 AM

Hello Linda0902

Every sewing machine has tension disks...it's just that we don't see them anymore because they are tucked away within the plastic cover of the sewing machine. After threading the first thread guide at the top of the sewing machine...then going down the thread path...in that first downward thread path is where the thread disks are at...then the thread goes upward to the take-up lever...then downward again and the final thread guide is on the needle bar.

The tension disks are why the presser foot has to be up to thread the upper thread...having the presser foot up opens the tension disks so the thread can slide in between them. For that same reason...always have the presser foot up when pulling the upper thread out of the thread path...the thread will slide out easier and not needlessly wear out the disks...as well as not possibly leave a bit of thread caught in them.

I understand what sewing model you have...so the youtube video Twin Needle by bonetge will still apply to your sewing machine as I mentioned (even though the instructor has a TOL sewing machine) the instructor actually said it herself...saying that this will work with every sewing machine.

Edited to add: It has occurred to me that a straight stitch ONLY sm would NOT be able to use a twin needle...because the needle plate has a small hole only big enough for one needle at center position to go through it...SO it is not exactly accurate that EVERY sm can use a twin needle. I know that you have a sm that does have a zig zag needle plate...but I thought it best to edit this info here for others reading this.

Since you watched the Sewing with Nancy show in which Nancy demoed twin needle stitching...you probably well know to be sure to only use a twin needle up to as wide as your sewing machine's max stitch width. Since your 2212 has a max 5mm stitch width...then you would not be able to use a 6mm twin needle.

Still can't make that link clickable...so please go to youtube.com...put Twin Needle in Search...then look for the one that is "by bonetge". That is the easier one to see and understand that I found. Wish I could make that link work.
-- Edited on 8/11/13 6:26 PM --

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
OR USA
Member since 8/29/06

In reply to Linda0902 <<

Date: 8/11/13 10:51 AM

Janome 2212

Twin Needle by bonetge

Eureka!! Got the clickable link to WORK...finally!

You won't see a close up of anything...she is just following her sm's threading path...just as you would your sm...the point of the info is to thread each spool separately...laying one thread into the left side of the thread disks and the other into the right side. You will know where the thread disks are even though you can't "see" them...because they are near the thread (disks) tension dial...the little dial with the numbers on it...usually it's set at #4.

This instructor calls the needle thread guide "the clip"...and at the end when she says refrain from using your scissors she is referring to her sm's scissor feature that cuts the thread tail very short.

Maybe this particular video doesn't help you...so let me know and I will look for another one that may be more helpful.

Edited to add: Just watched a video on youtube of Nancy threading both threads together until they were separated at the needle. That is not what I am use to...especially wondering about being sure the left spool's thread was threaded through the left needle and the right spool's thread was threaded through the right needle. What ever Nancy is doing must work for her...just not what I am use to.

Here is another link showing the threading done separately.

Setting Up Your Sewing Machine to Use a Twin Needle
-- Edited on 8/11/13 11:31 AM --

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06

Date: 8/11/13 11:51 AM

I have seen NZ demo this and she has the thread feeding from the front of one spool and the back of the second.

Test the methods on scraps of the fabric you will be using to see what works best.

Adjusting the upper tension and/or presser foot pressure may or may not be a factor in obtaining success.

Here is Nancy' Zieman's video.

-- Edited on 8/11/13 11:58 AM --

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

AnneM
starstar
AnneM  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MA USA
Member since 7/30/02

In reply to bestgrammy <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/11/13 1:10 PM

Quote: bestgrammy
... be sure to only use a twin needle up to as wide as your sewing machine's max stitch width.

Oooh, I didn't know that! It makes perfect sense, since the machine is only designed to handle the needle coming down w/in the specified range. I hadn't thought about it. My machine has a wider stitch, so it hasn't been a problem, but that is a good piece of information. Thank you!

------
With a great wardrobe that's still in the flat-fabric stage.

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
OR USA
Member since 8/29/06

In reply to AnneM <<

Date: 8/11/13 6:17 PM

Thank you...very happy to pass on tidbits of info.

Which brings up another FYI...which was mentioned on one of the many youtube videos I watched (so don't remember which one at the moment). The instructor said if you ever use a straight stitch only needle plate...be sure to change it back to the zig zag needle plate before using a twin needle. I can imagine that even an experienced sewer/sewist could miss doing that at one time or another.

Just now thought about straight stitch only sewing machines...they must not be able to do twin needle stitching. I haven't had a straight stitch only sm for 40 years...yet it seems that at least the needle plate hole would prevent it. So I better edit my previous post that all sms can use a twin needle...seemingly a straight stitch only sm would not be able to do it. Maybe my friend with several straight stitch vintage machines will post about this.

Notice that it's not essential to have two spool pins...because two small spools or even a spool and a bobbin...or two bobbins can be stacked together on the same spool pin to have the two needed threads...still have them winding in opposite directions. The link PattiAnnJ made to Nancy Zieman's Double Needle Sewing Tips is an example of this.

Happy sewing.

-- Edited on 8/12/13 11:52 AM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Techniques and Tips >> How to thread machine when using twin needle

Merchants on PR
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
Web site
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!
Elliott Berman Textiles
Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Sewing Basics
Fee: $14.99
(Regular $14.99)
Sewing Basics

Online Sewing Classes
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
Fee: $49.00
(Regular $49.00)
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

BurdaStyle Magazine 08-2011-109
photo
Review by Jali on 12/5/11
Read Review

Simplicity 4040 Pattern (Size 8-10-12)
Simplicity 4040 Pattern (Size 8-10-12)

Details
Price: $14.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

McCalls 6794 Pattern ( Size XSM-SML-MED )
McCalls 6794 Pattern ( Size XSM-SML-MED )

Details
Price: $17.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Kwik Sew 3422 Men Shirts
photo
Review by Ejegmama on 5/28/11
Read Review

Peek-A Boo Bathing Beauty Swim Cap Digital Pattern ( Size infant- toddler- child )
Peek-A Boo Bathing Beauty Swim Cap Digital Pattern ( Size infant- toddler- child )

Details
Price: $4.99
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Oliver + S After-School Shirt + Pants Digital Pattern (6M-4)
Oliver + S After-School Shirt + Pants Digital Pattern (6M-4)

Details
Price: $15.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Beginner Sewing Lab 104 - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford
Beginner Sewing Lab 104  - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Details
Price: $14.99
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Petite Plus 303 Pattern
Petite Plus 303 Pattern

Details
Price: $21.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN